Poser or DAZ ?

grlfo

Nov 20, 2016
Hey guys, recently I got a new pc (a simple one r3 apu with 8gb ram) and I want to try to make renders similar to this artist that I have been following for years but I don't know where to start there's so much content that I'm overwhelm.

The artists it's:

From what I saw in his older posts he used Poser, "Face TY 2", "Body Jessi P6" and the toon rendering from poser. It's possible to make something similar in daz or should I use poser? There's any content you can recommend to achieve the style?

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
Very tricky question... I never considered Daz to be good at making cell shading/cartoon renders, and Poser... I thought it was directly dead... I would say you should use Daz since you have endless content for it. About achieving similar graphics, check the render layer option in Daz and just render everything but the skin in iray mode, and then the skin in 'cartoon mode' or something like that. Finally put it all together in PS or similar.

The point is, that imo the keypoint of that pixiv author is the eyes of the character... seems like they are using some custom morphs to get those 'japanese/anime style' faces....

In any case it's been years since I last used Daz, so I really cannot say more than I already said...

Reactions: grlfo

grlfo

Nov 20, 2016
There's a toon shader for DAZ. I think you can find it on the DAZ store.
Thank you, I'll try that.

Very tricky question... I never considered Daz to be good at making cell shading/cartoon renders, and Poser... I thought it was directly dead... I would say you should use Daz since you have endless content for it. About achieving similar graphics, check the render layer option in Daz and just render everything but the skin in iray mode, and then the skin in 'cartoon mode' or something like that. Finally put it all together in PS or similar.

The point is, that imo the keypoint of that pixiv author is the eyes of the character... seems like they are using some custom morphs to get those 'japanese/anime style' faces....

In any case it's been years since I last used Daz, so I really cannot say more than I already said...
Yes, none recommend Poser (longer times for rendering compared to daz, less content and you have to buy it) but I saw some Japanese are still using it.
Thank you, I will try that and the toon shader.

Reactions: Baka_Energy_studios

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
Do not use Poser. It's outdated software. The models for Poser are complete and utter garbage.

Poser was great back in the Victoria 2,3 and 4 days, but DAZ basically curb stomped Poser. DAZ took Poser by the skull and.. Well you get my drift.

(On a side note, I HATE DAZ STUDIO now. They've had 16 years to perfect the software, but it's just a pile of shit now. I'm hoping Blender can overtake DAZ Studio. The only thing good about DAZ Studio is IRAY, that's it. I hate DAZ Studio because I've used every aspect of it, nearly mastered it, and because of that, I've come to HATE IT. But it's the best for now IMO, unless you can figure out a pipeline for making content fast in Blender. Blender does have a lot of potential though, I've been tempted to start using it a little everyday. Reminds me of how I transitioned from poser to DAZ. Now perhaps I'll go from DAZ to Blender one day. What I hate most about DAZ Studio is the inferior posing rigs, they're so fucking outdated. You know what's funny? POSER's pose rigging system is better than DAZ Studio, but Poser doesn't have DAZ Genesis 3,8,9 models, it's worthless. You can try to hack it, but that'll lead to headaches and a huge waste of time.)

However..................... There is one GUY who uses Poser, or should I say used Poser: (femdom city), and he was able to get around 800 patrons (talented dev), but he's recently switched to DAZ Studio.

I used Poser for like 8 years, it was so much fun, but it's dead software. I'm strongly open to correction. I'd actually consider using Poser Pro again if it had access to DAZ Genesis 3,8 and 9, and all the clothing, and basically have access to all of DAZ products. I think Renderosity acquired Poser and they're trying to revive it.