PostgreSQL CMS error on first opening Daz

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I'm not sure what's causing this, but I'm using Daz 4.15 Pro and I will frequently get this error below when I open Daz. It does this whether I'm in online or offline mode. If I open the Daz Install Manager, log in, and just hit the refresh button, then exit and reload Daz, without installing or removing anything, that usually fixes it. Doesn't make much sense to me though. If I get this error then Daz has zero products available for use. Anyone know what would cause this?

If I use my workaround and then go back into Daz without getting this error then everything works fine. Not really sure what I have managed to mess up.

1618800474087.png

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
When you install Daz, it comes with a few extra packages in the background.
One of those is PostgreSQL. It's a database server, and Daz uses it store all sorts of stuff.

It's possible the PostgreSQL package failed to install correctly. In which case, run the Daz Install Manager (DIM) and check it. Maybe even uninstall and reinstall it using DIM. Maybe "Run as Administrator..." when you execute DIM too, just in case.

The PostgreSQL server runs as a Windows service. It could be that the service isn't starting properly. Maybe head into Settings/Control Panel to see the Windows Services list and ensure the PostgreSQL service is listed as "Running". If not, that could be a permissions thing and likely solved by running DIM as Adminstrator to reinstall PostgreSQL.

Beyond that, as a database server - PostgreSQL uses network connections... local ones, but still... network. Depending on your internet firewall settings, it could be blocking network traffic to/from the database server. For example, my firewall is set up to ask me each time a new program tries to access the network and I can pick if I want to block it, allow it or a couple of variations in between. However, the default behavior for most firewalls is that they decide for you. It could be that you or your firewall have blocked access for the PostgreSQL service. It's impossible for me to suggest where to check, as there's no way I could know what software you are running.

My suggestion would be to start by running DIM as "Run as Administrator..." and uninstalling and reinstalling PostgreSQL, then reboot your PC. It will probably solve it and then you won't need to fuss about your firewall settings at all.

Reactions: khumak

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Just hit this button, it does it to me when I install something in offline mode then run DAZ

CMS.jpg

Reactions: khumak

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Just hit this button, it does it to me when I install something in offline mode then run DAZ

View attachment 1151092
Never noticed that Start CMS thing, will have to look for that next time I run into that. Thanks.

It still seems inconsistent what the trigger is though. I just installed something offline in Daz Install Manager as a test and then loaded Daz and didn't have the problem. Oh well, sounds like there's an easy workaround for now anyway. I wonder if they changed things so it just doesn't sync up properly sometimes when they added Daz Central as an alternative to Daz Install Manager? I didn't have this issue with any of the previous versions of Daz that I used, but that was before Daz Central.

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020
This happened to me after a Windows 10 automatic "upgrade" thing.

Hitting start CMS did nothing.

Reinstalling postgreSQL didn't do anything except that the "start CMS" button disappeared !!

I fucked about trying to allow stuff through the firewall. No good.

Gave up and now I just use the basic "unsmart" content.