Posting game / patreon / please advice

MrLollipopGAMES

Jun 29, 2024
Hi,

I'm developing a game, and I've just released the first chapter of it.
The problem is that I don't have enough content to put for free -I have to save something for paid patrons.
I've decided to create a free demo with a lewd scene -produced more as proof of concept for myself and fluid play, than a real showoff. (it's highly out of date to my current standards).
Now I'm not sure it's enough to get patrons.

Questions are:
1. Is it better to share for free a large portion of the game and count on the people's generosity?
That they will become patrons after playing the game(personally: I pirate first, support later).
Or just be patient and count that paywall will do the job?
Can someone speak from experience?

2. How, the hell, it works here? How can I share more, than is for free on Patreon?
I mean -it'd be kind of illegal.. but more importantly not fair for patrons.

3. I'd plans to develop another in-game system, but now I think I have to race the development to sex scenes for a better showoff.
Any advice?

Thanks for any advice.

bludysunday

Jan 27, 2023
1) I think the best method (I have no evidence to support this claim) would be to offer Patrons access to the game a few weeks to a month in advance before releasing it to the public. More times than not they have a way of finding themselves here whether you want it to or not.

2) I would hazard that your patrons know of this site's existence, as for some of us this is how we learn of a game and if we really enjoy subscribe to Patreon, as long as you are transparent and consistent in your decision making your Patrons should understand.

3) Not all sex scenes are built the same and you shouldn't feel as if you have to "rush" to one. A sex scene could be something as simple as a BJ or HJ you don't necessarily have to dive right in to full on intercourse. Whatever pacing makes sense to the story.

3b) If you are solely counting on Patreon income to fund a game, I would say lower your expectations a little and maybe develop a smaller project first to gauge interest in your work and have a rough estimate of what your money flow will be.

Brosewood

Mayor of Sutton
Game Developer
Oct 7, 2021
1. v0.1 is many things. It's your first impression and your foundation. Patreons will come so long as your game is decent, you're constantly communicating with your community (I attempt to post at least once a week) and you're advertising yourself.

What motivates an individual to donate to Patreon is a broad question with many answers. The best answer I can give is what I said above, make the best game you can, be active with your community, and advertise yourself as much as possible.

2. You don't have to post Patreon exclusive content here yourself, but others might (especially if your game is popular) and you won't be able to have it taken down. Truth be told, you will never beat piracy. Millions of dollars and thousands of people (many whom are likely smarter than you) have been thrown at piracy to no avail.

My advice? Post the free version here yourself. If others post your 'paid' version here, that is a good sign as it means your game is popular.

3. If you want to add new mechanics DO IT NOW. It'll become more of a headache to retroactively add new mechanics. Trust me, I've learned this the hard way. Racing to sex scenes is up to you. Some people like that, some people don't.

At the end of the day, make the game YOU want to make. You've just started your first project. Treat it as a learning experience, not as something that's guaranteed to make you megabucks (granted it'll be nice if it does). I'm at least thrice the game dev I was before I started Stuck in Sutton, and the lessons I've learned are invaluable (granted, I'd take the megabucks any day of the week).

One other thing: I see one of your tiers is only $1. I'd recommend making that at minimum $3. Otherwise, Patreon will take a bigger silce of your earnings for those users.

Reactions: bludysunday

Aesir Lust

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2022
Hi,

I'm developing a game, and I've just released the first chapter of it.
The problem is that I don't have enough content to put for free -I have to save something for paid patrons.
I've decided to create a free demo with a lewd scene -produced more as proof of concept for myself and fluid play, than a real showoff. (it's highly out of date to my current standards).
Now I'm not sure it's enough to get patrons.

Questions are:
1. Is it better to share for free a large portion of the game and count on the people's generosity?
That they will become patrons after playing the game(personally: I pirate first, support later).
Or just be patient and count that paywall will do the job?
Can someone speak from experience?

2. How, the hell, it works here? How can I share more, than is for free on Patreon?
I mean -it'd be kind of illegal.. but more importantly not fair for patrons.

3. I'd plans to develop another in-game system, but now I think I have to race the development to sex scenes for a better showoff.
Any advice?

Thanks for any advice.
1) Would you support something that you don't even know if it's worth it or not, since you can neither test it? (In case of a paywall context)

2) You got a plenty of possible outcomes for this one: Making some art packs available only for your patreon supporters, a special version of the game with some extra scenes, some passwords to unlock special features of the game (like getting more money, unlocking all the gallery exc...), giving the supporters some days of early access compared to the free version. Personally I'd do all of them :sneaky:

3) Do the mechanics first. If you're want to add a money system, then it will be more painful to do later, because you would have to re-adapt mostly everything. For smaller mechanics such as some minigames, it's not that complicated to add them in the future, but still if your thoughts once you complete the first version are "okay but it's just a lil bit boring", then consider adding the mechanics before posting it

MrLollipopGAMES

Jun 29, 2024
Thank you for your answers.

1. I totally agree with you all. As I mentioned before -that is how I think, I just wasn't sure how patrons do. ;)

2. Yes - I just found out that the free tier for 7 days is not a 'plan feature' on Patreon. I need to fill some details and prove ID so.... here's the option.
I'm not worried that I'll find the full version of my game here -I'm counting on it. :)

3. I need good-quality sex scenes fast.
I can't put my chars to bed on day one BUT I can push the story to characters available for lewd scenes, and hold introductions and plots of others.
Do the mechanics first.
Yeah, I've got some experience in DBs, so I know to start wide. ;) But I'm covered here: my next system is about SEX TREE and since I'm going to do simple scenes... not a problem. I will rush the for SEX(typical male...) :LOL:

4. I blew the start... I should've started the page and put the DEMO a long time ago... and get patrons/popularity.
Now I'm low on funds and I need around 200 to keep me going without distractions.
But I'll manage. :devilish:

Thank you, you helped me a lot with making choices. I needed to hear that. :D
Plus, it's funny, I've got first patrons and that gave me a lot of satisfaction and assurance. Only 2 of them, but I started posting links to Patreon yesterday -so it's all right. (even if they wanted the full version for buccaneer practices) ;]

5. Any other overall tips about Patreon, promotions, getting patrons, and keeping them interested?
(I should probably search the forum...)

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Now I'm low on funds and I need around 200 to keep me going without distractions.
But I'll manage.
I don't know if you are aware - but about half of all adult game developers on Patreon earn less than $100 USD per month through Patreon, even after 3 years of having a Patreon page.

For example, the two developers who have offered their advice to you:
  • Aesir Lust has been on Patreon for over a year and has 22 paid patreons.
  • Brosewood has been promoting their game a little longer and has 32 paid patreons and hovering around $100 USD per month.
I would recommend that if you need funds, a more reliable income while developing this on the side would be more beneficial - statistically and realistically.

Brosewood

Mayor of Sutton
Game Developer
Oct 7, 2021
  • Brosewood has been promoting their game a little longer and has 32 paid patreons and hovering around $100 USD per month.
I would recommend that if you need funds, a more reliable income while developing this on the side would be more beneficial - statistically and realistically.
This is the straight truth. I've made about 3x as much with freelance writing in a month than I have for Patreon, and I put in a lot more words into Stuck in Sutton. If I didn't enjoy what I was doing I would've quit a long time ago.

If you are looking for additional funding, itch.io is a good place to go. You won't get much in the way of donations, but game bundles can be very helpful for you. That sort of thing is usually networked with other devs which in turn goes with the whole 'advertising yourself' thing.