Postwork and render/image conversion order?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I'm planning on compressing/converting my renders to webp, but I'm just a tad confused as to the order. Before I was just rendering, doing postwork and downscaling to 1080, and then setting them in the renpy images folder.

Should it be Render > Postwork/Downscale > convert , or Render > Convert > Post/Downscale?

Thanks.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Render > down scale > convert. Since you're compressing, the other order would result in a lossy process being applied twice. But the best would be to just use XnConvert to do both at once and save time.

Reactions: MissFortune

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
webp does compress better than say jpg. I do Photoshop post work on mine and then save those as jpg with compression in it.
for instance doing webp instead of jpg for one episodes images i would save around 70mb which to me for the extra work is not worth doing.

But use ImageMagic to create your webp files as i found the Photoshop webp script not working so great.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Render > down scale > convert. Since you're compressing, the other order would result in a lossy process being applied twice. But the best would be to just use XnConvert to do both at once and save time.
I usually downscale in Photoshop after doing postwork as it doesn't natively support webp and the plugin/scripts out there are finnicky on a good day. My question was more or less answered, though. Thanks. :)

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Honestly... jpg compressign as you doing now is good enough. I use 70% compression and the images still look great but would come down from typical 5mb to just under 1mb... I wouldnt bother with webp to be honest.

BTW... Rainne is such a hottie.. and I love the goth look of the girls/guys

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
I usually downscale in Photoshop after doing postwork as it doesn't natively support webp and the plugin/scripts out there are finnicky on a good day. My question was more or less answered, though. Thanks. :)
I see, I still would recommend trying XnConvert, never had any problems with it and it's just a matter of drag and drop the folder/files to batch convert, doesn't get much simpler than that.