Ren'Py Pre existing framework for Ren'Py map and events and so on?

Ceadmondo

Apr 3, 2022
Hello thanks for reading! ●u●
I'm a 3d erotic enjoyer that has been making his own stuff for over 8 years now! I been doing stuff in daz then upgraded to blender and now can create my own models from daz bases and create my own 3d scenes texture them and pose and animate without downloading assists, I belive I'm ready for creating my masterpiece and I have wrote countless stories (all incest) and now writing one perfect for my game.

My issue is that I have maximized my skills in 3d and somewhat writing but learned nothing about coding and I'm in a real dire need of a framework that has everything from time to map to rooms and events (tutorials are not helpful, either slow or has a scratching fan noise) please help! Thanks ₩_₩

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm in a real dire need of a framework that has everything from time to map to rooms and events (tutorials are not helpful, either slow or has a scratching fan noise) please help! Thanks ₩_₩
There were some attempt for such "everything will be covered" frameworks, but I don't think that one goes further than an attempt. The problem is that Ren'Py itself is already a framework on top of PyGame. Therefore whatever framework you'll find for it will limit you in a strongly limited vision of what you want to do.
This mean that you'll still have to learn how to use Ren'Py, in order to do what isn't covered by the framework. Then you'll have to learn how to use the framework, and it will generally be more difficult. And, after some times, you'll also want to learn how to use Python, in order to bypass the framework limitation.

Look at this part of the forum, there's tons of small "how to" spread in the different question threads. They cover more or less everything you are searching.

Reactions: Ceadmondo

Ceadmondo

Apr 3, 2022
There were some attempt for such "everything will be covered" frameworks, but I don't think that one goes further than an attempt. The problem is that Ren'Py itself is already a framework on top of PyGame. Therefore whatever framework you'll find for it will limit you in a strongly limited vision of what you want to do.
This mean that you'll still have to learn how to use Ren'Py, in order to do what isn't covered by the framework. Then you'll have to learn how to use the framework, and it will generally be more difficult. And, after some times, you'll also want to learn how to use Python, in order to bypass the framework limitation.

Look at this part of the forum, there's tons of small "how to" spread in the different question threads. They cover more or less everything you are searching.
I understand the basics and read a lot put not once have they told me how events works or how the day system works all tutorials end suddenly with leaving a lot of things un answered, and the documents need a python programmer to work with...

I understand the kinetic novel with options but I don't understand how I can make it open world type you know?

Thanks for your answer I suppose i was looking for something with already built systems for day and night and events i can use to fill my story into. I don't want my game to be a 20 minute gameplay per update without any gameplay though I think a lot of people might enjoy the simplicity and the story. Thanks for answering.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I understand the basics and read a lot put not once have they told me how events works or how the day system works [...]
Not the ones you can found here through the different "help me with..." threads. I know it, I wrote a part of them. And when it wasn't me, then it was surely 79flavors, who's even more explicit than me.
Of course, we rarely go to the depth of the mechanism, but we don't let the reader with unexplained code either ; well me sometimes when I'm angry. Once you've read the whole post, you've the code and you know how to use it.

I understand the kinetic novel with options but I don't understand how I can make it open world type you know?
As far as I remember, there's also threads covering this. They'll not explain everything, but tell what is needed. Therefore you'll know what to search for next.

Ceadmondo

Apr 3, 2022
Not the ones you can found here through the different "help me with..." threads. I know it, I wrote a part of them. And when it wasn't me, then it was surely 79flavors, who's even more explicit than me.
Of course, we rarely go to the depth of the mechanism, but we don't let the reader with unexplained code either ; well me sometimes when I'm angry. Once you've read the whole post, you've the code and you know how to use it.

As far as I remember, there's also threads covering this. They'll not explain everything, but tell what is needed. Therefore you'll know what to search for next.
I searched everything even the Ren'Py cookbook and nothing helpful, I'll end up with kinetic novel it seems or steal code from another game thanks for your answers

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I searched everything even the Ren'Py cookbook and nothing helpful, [...]
Just searching for "time" in the title of the threads in this section I found four threads corresponding to your needs. All of them have at least a part of the answer in them:
https://f95zone.to/threads/have-an-idea-for-a-time-system-dont-know-how-to-write-the-code.75796/
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-ho...ntering-a-location-only-the-first-time.58193/
https://f95zone.to/threads/day-time-system.54259/
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-day-time.18367/

There's even a thread that match perfectly your demand. But I'll not link it because it's something way too old. Ren'Py have had some serious changes since this time and the answers do not really apply anymore.

And obviously, there's more than this. As I said, most of the answers are present here.

Ceadmondo

Apr 3, 2022
Just searching for "time" in the title of the threads in this section I found four threads corresponding to your needs. All of them have at least a part of the answer in them:
https://f95zone.to/threads/have-an-idea-for-a-time-system-dont-know-how-to-write-the-code.75796/
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-ho...ntering-a-location-only-the-first-time.58193/
https://f95zone.to/threads/day-time-system.54259/
https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-day-time.18367/

There's even a thread that match perfectly your demand. But I'll not link it because it's something way too old. Ren'Py have had some serious changes since this time and the answers do not really apply anymore.

And obviously, there's more than this. As I said, most of the answers are present here.
Fantastic! Thanks really couldn't find them on my own Thank you for your time

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
The problem of course is that for every problem, there are at least 3 RenPy solutions that will work and an extra couple that will work enough. Then a whole bunch that will technically work, but will be a pain to maintain.

Time.

I think I've written at least 3 solutions here on the forums in the past. Some better than others.
Each generally revolved around a time "period", where each period was akin to "Morning", "Afternoon", "Evening" and "Night".
"Morning -> Afternoon" ... time_period += 1.
My 4th attempt (attached), switched to using the actual python time and date functions - then a function that would tell you what period a specific time was in. That way, I could advance by period or by hour or even by the millisecond.
Problem was I got bored and never expanded the functions beyond my initial testing.

By all means, take a look. Just realize it's only about 10% of where I planned to go with it. The list of functions related to time would have been expanded to do advances in other ways at the very least.

Rooms.

Aghhh... Open world. I hate open world. :devilish:
My test project for time was originally planned to be an attempt to figure out open world mechanics (and the reason I became bored very quickly). Instead, I focused more on the time and date and making a pretty interface that looked like the iPhone calendar.

The basics though are that you have a lot of connected maps. Each screen/map can be a room. Each button takes you to a different screen. You should be able to write a full interactive map system with zero story, as the maps connect to each other.
Beyond that, it depends on the style of your open world. Some games will have clickable hotspots (usually representing people) who you can click on to have a conversation. Those hotpots will be shown/hidden depending on rules custom to your game. Alternatively, some games will have some code before the new screen is displayed that checks if some sort of event will be shown instead. Or a combination of both.

Events.

Ah. The least formally utilized of your wishlist.
Most developers just end up writing spaghetti code where they have lots of variables about various things happening within game and check those values to see whether the story should advance. Zero framework... but clearly, it works.

You might want to re-check the cookbook for things like "quest trackers" or "quest management"... since those are pretty much what I think you'd be wanting.

Personally, I wanted to write an events systems at some point that had a list of event-IDs. Each event would have a list of prerequisite event-IDs that must be complete before that event becomes available. Then perhaps an "additional requirements" field that must also evaluate to True before the event can become available. At least two lists would be needed, a list of available events and a list of the active ones. Each time the player enters a room, the list of queued events is checked to see if there are any events with an (newly) empty prerequisite list and the "additional requirements" are met, then the event is added to the active list and removed from the queued list. My theoretical goal was to write it is such a way that open world games could be played like a linear game, where the game itself picks an event to do next - without the player having to visit a bunch of empty rooms or grind pointless points. The problem though isn't writing such a system... it's writing it in such a way that new events/quests can be added/removed/updated as the game is expanded - without it breaking.

I'm not sure how much any of that helps you, except perhaps to point out that RenPy development is a bit chaotic and sometimes it's better to just dive in than spending time looking for an ideal solution.

Last edited:

Ceadmondo

Apr 3, 2022
The problem of course is that for every problem, there are at least 3 RenPy solutions that will work and an extra couple that will work enough. Then a whole bunch that will technically work, but will be a pain to maintain.

Time.

I think I've written at least 3 solutions here on the forums in the past. Some better than others.
Each generally revolved around a time "period", where each period was akin to "Morning", "Afternoon", "Evening" and "Night".
"Morning -> Afternoon" ... time_period += 1.
My 4th attempt (attached), switched to using the actual python time and date functions - then a function that would tell you what period a specific time was in. That way, I could advance by period or by hour or even by the millisecond.
Problem was I got bored and never expanded the functions beyond my initial testing.

By all means, take a look. Just realize it's only about 10% of where I planned to go with it. The list of functions related to time would have been expanded to do advances in other ways at the very least.

Rooms.

Aghhh... Open world. I hate open world. :devilish:
My test project for time was originally planned to be an attempt to figure out open world mechanics (and the reason I became bored very quickly). Instead, I focused more on the time and date and making a pretty interface that looked like the iPhone calendar.

The basics though are that you have a lot of connected maps. Each screen/map can be a room. Each button takes you to a different screen. You should be able to write a full interactive map system with zero story, as the maps connect to each other.
Beyond that, it depends on the style of your open world. Some games will have clickable hotspots (usually representing people) who you can click on to have a conversation. Those hotpots will be shown/hidden depending on rules custom to your game. Alternatively, some games will have some code before the new screen is displayed that checks if some sort of event will be shown instead. Or a combination of both.

Events.

Ah. The least formally utilized of your wishlist.
Most developers just end up writing spaghetti code where they have lots of variables about various things happening within game and check those values to see whether the story should advance. Zero framework... but clearly, it works.

You might want to re-check the cookbook for things like "quest trackers" or "quest management"... since those are pretty much what I think you'd be wanting.

Personally, I wanted to write an events systems at some point that had a list of event-IDs. Each event would have a list of prerequisite event-IDs that must be complete before that event becomes available. Then perhaps an "additional requirements" field that must also evaluate to True before the event can become available. At least two lists would be needed, a list of available events and a list of the active ones. Each time the player enters a room, the list of queued events is checked to see if there are any events with an (newly) empty prerequisite list and the "additional requirements" are met, then the event is added to the active list and removed from the queued list. My theoretical goal was to write it is such a way that open world games could be played like a linear game, where the game itself picks an event to do next - without the player having to visit a bunch of empty rooms or grind pointless points. The problem though isn't writing such a system... it's writing it in such a way that new events/quests can be added/removed/updated as the game is expanded - without it breaking.

I'm not sure how much any of that helps you, except perhaps to point out that RenPy development is a bit chaotic and sometimes it's better to just dive in than spending time looking for an ideal solution.
10-106990_transparent-confused-girl-png-magical-girl-spec-ops.jpg
I have looked though my old folders and found 5 practice games that had a decent story and idea but always where linear the oldest was in 2018... as I said I understand linear and some tricks but the moment programming goes into logics my mind goes numb, I guess I'll just make a linear game with option side quests using screens (somewhat understand it) until I get enough funding to hire an actual game programmer at least side time just to write my whole story into code where I can just add my art on top of... thank you for your time, you and Anne O'nymous you guys are probably the best thing on this forum and saved a lot of beginner lifes thank you but I guess I can't learn programming.
Anime-Funny-PNG-Transparent.png

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Like any complex problem... one foot in front of another. Take small steps and focus on the small step in front of you, rather than the huge mountain in the distance.

I tend to write small projects as "test benches". Just a way to experiment on a single idea without getting bogged down with how all the part interconnect.

Someone may come along and point you at some clever framework or game that can easier be adapted.

My gut feel though is that you're just going to have to experiment too.
Maybe write a 3 room test bench game. Then add "Park" and "Work" locations. Beyond that, it's just a case of scaling up whatever you've already written by that point to more areas.

Failing that, find a couple of games that "mostly" do what you want to do and take a look at how they do things. The UnRen utility will let you see the original source code for most RenPy games. Just don't get bogged down trying to figure everything out at once. Everyone tends to reinvent the wheel for open-world games and some of those wheels can often be anything between square and massively over-engineered monstrosities that Stephen Hawking would say is too complex for it's purpose.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

Mrsloap

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2020
Hello thanks for reading! ●u●
I'm a 3d erotic enjoyer that has been making his own stuff for over 8 years now! I been doing stuff in daz then upgraded to blender and now can create my own models from daz bases and create my own 3d scenes texture them and pose and animate without downloading assists, I belive I'm ready for creating my masterpiece and I have wrote countless stories (all incest) and now writing one perfect for my game.

My issue is that I have maximized my skills in 3d and somewhat writing but learned nothing about coding and I'm in a real dire need of a framework that has everything from time to map to rooms and events (tutorials are not helpful, either slow or has a scratching fan noise) please help! Thanks ₩_₩
Hey man, some time ago i was also in a similar situation. Back in the day i found an youtube channel called Thundhorn games that helped me very much. He has a full playlist teaching renpy and anotherone making a nice and modular framework on renpy wich among other things has an event tracker and a time system covered.Here is the link for the playlists:
This is the playlist to learn renpy (It's a big one): .
This one covers the framework (he calls it an engine, but i think it's a bit far fetched, a framework describes it better):

And if I'm not mistaken you can download the finished project from his website. Althought i recommend you to watch the videos because otherwise it will be very hard to know exactly what is inside the framework and how to actually use the classes, functions and all the good stuff he has created.
That said, his didatics are not the best, but i think if you have a basic object oriented programming knowledge and a bit of programming logic you will be able to follow must of it just fine.
And remember man if you think it is too much for a beginner in coding, just start with a simpler project, a classic visual novel or even a kinectic novel are already good steps to get you familiarized with the language and the basics of programming logic. If you expect to learn everything you need beforehand you'll just never gonna start. Remember a small project is better than no project at all.I hope that helped and good luck!

Last edited: