Pre Launch Checklist and things to consider

Kvitravn Dev

Making Memories / Further Education
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2020
So my v0.1 is finally done and I want to upload it, now technically it runs with no bugs, I am still nervous over the things I should be doing before I upload the build.
It just might be me catastrophising myself again, but I just want to know from the community what all are the things one considers before releasing it out for people.

ScaryFairy

Jun 6, 2021
Usually the proof reader or the beta testers test the game before releasing it to public. But for a first release from a new Dev I don't expect you to have or need a proof reader. What's the worst could happen? Some people will report a few bugs and you're gonna fix it. Some will like your game and some not. We all learn by doing mistakes and you need people to play your game to point out yours. Although from a Dev perspective it may be very hard. But don't worry mate you will get used to it after some time.
Btw good luck with your first release and to your project.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Kvitravn Dev

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It just might be me catastrophising myself again, but I just want to know from the community what all are the things one considers before releasing it out for people.
There's one universal rule in programming: Whatever how long and how deep you test your code, there will always be at least one bug that you missed.
With hope, no one will ever trigger it, but it will be there, somewhere in your code, waiting for someone to match all the very special conditions you didn't thought about.

Last time Heavy Five was updated, it had few typos and three bugs. Yet, each part is tested by the four official testers, and occasionally few unofficial ones, and in the end the whole update goes back to the testers and is tested again, during more or less a whole week. And it's not enough to catch everything, but would the test have lasted one full month that the result would have been the same.
And the same ca be said for all the other games. Testers are as human as the coder, therefore they also make mistakes and miss things. There's few grumpy guys, but globally we know that games on the scene are mostly done by amateurs, what mean that there will be bugs time to time, and that we will have to wait for a bug fix.

So, don't over stress it, you've tested it and it works ? So it can be released.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Kvitravn Dev