Prediction!

3DbPNuRHhpW

Jan 19, 2019
In just a few months, "landlady" will be so firmly established as a euphemism for "mother" that Patreon will start banning any projects featuring sex with landladies.

aweriel

Jun 18, 2017
In just a few months, "landlady" will be so firmly established as a euphemism for "mother" that Patreon will start banning any projects featuring sex with landladies.
First gods Patreon's idea, I fucking hate "landlady and younger/older roommates"

Last edited:

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
A majority of the time, the character interactions and dynamics still plays out like a typical family dynamic in VN/Games that use that nonsense... And pretty much every instance in which it is used or offered up as a default choice to use, it doesn't sound right when reading it... The whole landlady/landlord and roommate replacement titles are just lazy word replacements most of the time, in order to seem compliant with Patreon rules and other sites like it... It's so blatantly obvious, and is such a failed attempt at feigned compliance... To the point of sounding annoying while reading it, and I automatically know what is going to happen in the text, the moment I see those words appear...

If someone is in their late teens and into the 20's, and is paying rent to some owner of a home or hotel, in no way is it possible that the owner would treat them like they've been living there most of their lives... They wouldn't be giving them hugs all the time, or getting mad at their failing grades, or controlling their lives, or grounding them, or trying to control them in any way, and so on... The dynamic between a landlady/landlord and a tenant, is a business transaction, not a family dynamic... A college student renting a room in someone house, is not like a retuning daughter/son who's been away for a while and just returned home... That is not how a home owner and renter dynamic works... Same goes with roommates... Renters living in the same house are basically strangers, who may or may not ever get to know one another all that well... They don't treat each other like relatives... If one tenant hates the other and it becomes publicly apparent, the landlady/landlord doesn't step in like a parent... They step in like an arbitrator and/or property owner looking out for the wellbeing of their property... If tenants can't get along, then they get evicted, not sent to their rooms... I see this sort of non-sense all the time with the landlady/landlord and roommate word replacements...

It is so blatantly obvious how the story is being portrayed, that the whole landlady/landlord and roommate premise is just a cover up... A poor man's fix, and a cop out... Most likely just to make Patreon think they are in compliance... Heck, many of the times the same developer then offers up a Incest Patch to make the titles revert back to their originally intended state... And they think Patreon will be none the wiser...

I agree, that Patreon is no dummy... It's being used by so many developers right now, that Patreon and it's ilk, will eventually catch on... And just because the patches are on other sites, and not on the Patreon site, doesn't protect those developers from being banned... Their reporting mechanisms are actually designed for folks to report off site evidence of non-compliance... Many developers doing this stuff, are working on borrowed time... So beware...

Zip

Last edited:

Ying Ko

Jun 16, 2018
A majority of the time, the character interactions and dynamics still plays out like a typical family dynamic in VN/Games that use that nonsense... And pretty much every instance in which it is used or offered up as a default choice to use, it doesn't sound right when reading it... The whole landlady/landlord and roommate replacement titles are just lazy word replacements most of the time, in order to seem compliant with Patreon rules and other sites like it... It's so blatantly obvious, and is such a failed attempt at feigned compliance... To the point of sounding annoying while reading it, and I automatically know what is going to happen in the text, the moment I see those words appear...

If someone is in their late teens and into the 20's, and is paying rent to some owner of a home or hotel, in no way is it possible that the owner would treat them like they've been living there most of their lives... They wouldn't be giving them hugs all the time, or getting mad at their failing grades, or controlling their lives, or grounding them, or trying to control them in any way, and so on... The dynamic between a landlady/landlord and a tenant, is a business transaction, not a family dynamic... A college student renting a room in someone house, is not like a retuning daughter/son who's been away for a while and just returned home... That is not how a home owner and renter dynamic works... Same goes with roommates... Renters living in the same house are basically strangers, who may or may not ever get to know one another all that well... They don't treat each other like relatives... If one tenant hates the other and it becomes publicly apparent, the landlady/landlord doesn't step in like a parent... They step in like an arbitrator and/or property owner looking out for the wellbeing of their property... If tenants can't get along, then they get evicted, not sent to their rooms... I see this sort of non-sense all the time with the landlady/landlord and roommate word replacements...

It is so blatantly obvious how the story is being portrayed, that the whole landlady/landlord and roommate premise is just a cover up... A poor man's fix, and a cop out... Most likely just to make Patreon think they are in compliance... Heck, many of the times the same developer then offers up a Incest Patch to make the titles revert back to their originally intended state... And they think Patreon will be none the wiser...

I agree, that Patreon is no dummy... It's being used by so many developers right now, that Patreon and it's ilk, will eventually catch on... And just because the patches are on other sites, and not on the Patreon site, doesn't protect those developers from being banned... Their reporting mechanisms are actually designed for folks to report off site evidence of non-compliance... Many developers doing this stuff, are working on borrowed time... So beware...

Zip
The family dynamic is part of the appeal. A convincing landlady/tenant story would play out much differently than a mother/son story, so you are asking the developer to make two different games. The developer has limited time/resources and will choose where to allocate their effort. Patron has asked incest game developers to remove references to family relationships, not to change how the characters act towards each other. Best friends mother would be a better replacement than landlady, the protagonist could have known her his entire life and spent many hours at her house.

Last edited:

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
The family dynamic is part of the appeal. A convincing landlady/tenant story would play out much differently than a mother/son story, so you are asking the developer to make two different games. The developer has limited time/resources and will choose where to allocate their effort. Patron has asked incest game developers to remove references to family relationships, not to change how the characters act towards each other. Just except that you are not the target audience and move on. That being said, best friends mother would be a better replacement than landlady. The protagonist could have known her his entire life and spent many hours at her house.
This thread isn't about the like or dislike of Incest content... It's about the dumb use of the Landlady/Landlord and Roommate word replacements, and how sites like Patreon will eventually catch on... Especially when incest patches are made available off site...

Zip

Ying Ko

Jun 16, 2018
This thread isn't about the like or dislike of Incest content... It's about the dumb use of the Landlady/Landlord and Roommate word replacements, and how sites like Patreon will eventually catch on... Especially when incest patches are made available off site...

Zip
It seemed like you were calling for them to implement alternative dynamics and thus a different story pacing. I agree that word replacement is crude and obvious, and releasing the patch under the developers name isn’t the most savvy thing to do. If Patreon decides to crack down on “landlady” patches then they will have to implement something better. I would suggest that they create an incest translation with alternative sentences and release it under a fan pseudonym a couple of days later. No hard feelings, I hope.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
It seemed like you were calling for them to implement alternative dynamics and thus a different story pacing. I agree that word replacement is crude and obvious, and releasing the patch under the developers name isn’t the most savvy thing to do. If Patreon decides to crack down on “landlady” patches then they will have to implement something better. I would suggest that they create an incest translation with alternative sentences and release it under a fan pseudonym a couple of days later. No hard feelings, I hope.
We're good... I kind of look at the whole landlady/landlord thing as just a lazy way of being compliant... That just ends up sounding dumb as you actually read it... It's not just how it reads weird, but also how the story telling dynamics of the relationships don't mesh up with how a more realistic owner and renter dynamic works... So in the long run, the lazy conversion just hurts the product more then it helps... I agree, you would need to go back through the text and revamp stuff for it to read better and make more sense, but those lazy developers just assume folks will never play/read it like that... That everyone will just download the patch and then play it... That is beyond lazy, and I'm pretty sure that as they get reported, Patreon will eventually catch on to their ploy...

Zip

darlic

Feb 27, 2017
I'm not into incest and the sorts, I actually find it kind of annoying.
But whenever I stumble upon a game with that stupid tenant/landlady gimmick I have to patch it, just to make it sound a little less dumb and out of context. A good example of that is Man of the house...

There are a couple of good games that make sense even without the I patch though, e.g. Summertime Saga and a couple other titles

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure Patreon knowns that very well, as they banned games in the past where the dev themselves provided such patches, it's just that they actually care as long as they can put up a clean front.

I do agree that games without it sound stupid and IMO no amount of patches changes the fact that the game released by the developer had a landlady that raised you from birth.