Prevent game theft in small game studio?

Nov 22, 2017
So one of my dream is to create a small game studio to make 2d rpg game for android, but i am somewhat scared that my employees will steal my game and upload it as their own.So i am wondering how do small game studios prevent such thing?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It would be dumb on their part as you have all the framework, plans, documentation, etc. to prove that the project is yours. Would destroy any reputation they could build in any medium, adult or not. Not to mention the legal implications of copyright theft and damages. If you have said proof, that would basically end any argument of it being their own.

That being said, if you're afraid of them stealing your work. Have a contract drawn up, basically saying that all work and legal rights belong to ____ and ____ Studios. I, ____ (employee), acknowledge that theft of work will result in _____ and ____ (and so forth). If you're a legit studio and not an online group that'll be non-existent in five months, I highly recommend you go this route. Contact a professional, go over details/concerns, and have him draw up something for you and your 'employees'. It might not come super cheap, but it'll eliminate all of your concerns. That much should be worth it to you. Cover your ass.

If you can't/don't want to do that, back up older prototypes and screenshot any chats that involve agreements/handshake agreements or planning of any sort. It isn't quite foolproof, but it'd be more than enough to at least somewhat prove to the general public that you're the rightful holder of the work. It'd have no legal ground to stand on, though.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
It would be dumb on their part as you have all the framework, plans, documentation, etc. to prove that the project is yours. Would destroy any reputation they could build in any medium, adult or not. Not to mention the legal implications of copyright theft and damages. If you have said proof, that would basically end any argument of it being their own.

That being said, if you're afraid of them stealing your work. Have a contract drawn up, basically saying that all work and legal rights belong to ____ and ____ Studios. I, ____ (employee), acknowledge that theft of work will result in _____ and ____ (and so forth). If you're a legit studio and not an online group that'll be non-existent in five months, I highly recommend you go this route. Contact a professional, go over details/concerns, and have him draw up something for you and your 'employees'. It might not come super cheap, but it'll eliminate all of your concerns. That much should be worth it to you. Cover your ass.

If you can't/don't want to do that, back up older prototypes and screenshot any chats that involve agreements/handshake agreements or planning of any sort. It isn't quite foolproof, but it'd be more than enough to at least somewhat prove to the general public that you're the rightful holder of the work. It'd have no legal ground to stand on, though.
This is correct and there are many sites online that have templates to use. Having a contract in place is always best as it protects you and your employee. As example...