Daz Primitive help - creating a magic viewing portal

kenring

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to create an illusory projection for my fight scene, to let the audience get a close-up view. Unfortunately I'm not very good with Daz primitives so it's slow going so far.

What I'm trying to achieve:

1) a flat plane image, probably rendered from another camera in the scene. Easy enough.

2) the plane is irregular shaped, probably oval. I can figure this one out I think.

3) the plane has transparency but primarily at the edges. Could be done with Photoshop but I'd really like to render in a single pass using cameras in the same scene so doing it in the engine would be ideal.

4) magic sparkle effects on the screen, increasing in volume and intensity at the edge of the image. I have a lot of magic effects bundles but they don't seem to play nicely with planes so far.

5) magic tendrils connecting the projection to the mage. I can probably use a standard magic effect asset for this.

Any advice, tips or links would be hugely appreciated. This seems like something a veteran could throw together in 10 minutes but for me it's looking like a multi-day project right now.

kenring

Oct 28, 2017
I've made a lot of progress, here's what I did:

1) Create a plane, as before

2) Create a torus and parent it to the plane then align it so that it wraps the edges of the plane

3) Create a render with the plane as flat white and the torus as flat black. This can then be assigned to the plane as an opacity map.

4) The torus can now be made opaque and used as a place for magical effects to be applied.

The next trick is playing with the shaders/emissives/etc enough to make it look good but I've got the basic structure in place now.

kenring

Oct 28, 2017
Here you go, this is a test render for the concept I'm working on. I definitely need to reduce the torus width and add DoF to the camera, both of which will significantly improve the look. But I think the emissive/shader stuff still needs a lot of work. Maybe adding normal maps to the torus would help?

kenring

Oct 28, 2017
It's also really hard to tell how far away the screen is (it's right above the stands, on the other side of the arena!) but I have no idea how to visually convey that information. Maybe I need to add a figure in the background to give a sense of perspective?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
What image editor are you using?

I would have the circle solid and the inner transparent at 70 to 75 per cent

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
Edit: I just re-read your first post and realised I thought you we're trying to create a portal rather than a viewing portal. However, I hope the concepts below still help. You'll probably not need the middle layer and likely will need to tone down the effects layer and emissions. Sorry for the misreading.

Hi kenring,
I saw this post yesterday and this is something I've never done before. I had some free time and needed a break from my usual stuff so decided to give it a shot so see if I could learn anything.

Attempt 1:
Piortal_Example_20.png
Attempt 2:
Portal_2.png
Attempt 3 (Done this morning, used the image you had above as inspiration):
Portal3.png

Concept used:
I used a three plane concept for these:
1. The Base Image (Rear)
2. The Image Overlay (Middle)
3. The Effects (Front)
All we're standard primitive square planes 2x2 metres (although I did adjust the scale later)
Portal_Example_1.png

1. The Base Image:
This is the contents of the portal. I setup the scene and took a square render of the image:
Portal3_Ex_1.png
I tried to ensure the main focus was in the centre of the image as I'll be making the edges transparent later. I also adjusted the camera so it more wide-angled. I could've included some depth of field here, however, I forgot when rendering and it looked alright so left it. In addition, as I knew I wanted the portal blue, I included a square primitive light behind the camera to give a blue glow.

Next, in Photoshop, I created a new square image (I used 960x960) and created a basic circle filling the square with a radial fill, from white to black on a black background:
Portal3_Ex_8.png
This will be used as the transparency map for the base image.

Next, in Daz, I created a primitive plane, 2x2 metres and moved and rotated so it was upright. Then, I added the First Image as the Base Colour Image in the Surfaces Tab and the Second Image as the Cut-Out Opacity Image in the Geometry section. Next, I added 50 kcd/m2 emission to the image and reduced the Glossy Layered Weight to 0. This was done to prevent any reflections on the image and lighten it up (as most portals tend to emit light):
Portal_Example_2.png
I did a few tweaks to the opacity by changing the gradient of the second image sphere and this is how you would adjust the transparency of the image (keeping Cut Out Opacity to 1 in Daz)

2. The Overlay
I wanted the overlay to be quite watery, so I created a new plane the same size as the base image and copied it's transformations. Next, I found a bright Water texture that I had and applied to the surface and then added the same cut-out transparency image used in the base image:
Portal_Example_3.png
Next, I positioned this just in front of the Base Image, adjusting the scale to ensure everything matched:
Portal_Example_4.png

3. The Effects
For the effects, I created another square primitive, the same size as previously, but this time with more divisions (I went with 200 for the 2x2m square). Now comes the fun part.
I created a new image in photoshop, 960x960, black background, and two spheres, one white and one black. The white one was slightly bigger than the black and the black was over the top of the white one to create a ring. Make sure to leave enough space around the sphere
Portal_Example_5.png
(note, I forgot to take a shot of this, so redid it hence why the size is different from below)

I then used the smudge tool with a small size to smudge the black sphere into the white and the white into the background. I then used a small brush to add sparkles around the circle, with more concentrated close to the ring:

Portal3_Ex_6.png
Once I had this, I applied this as the Base Colour surface in Daz and changed to blue. I also added this as the cut out opacity.
Portal_Example_6.png
Next, under Emission, I added the same sphere image used for the Base and Overlay and set the colour of the emission to blue. I used 3000 kcd/m2 as the strength.
Next, I took the original sphere and inverted the shading, so the background was white and centre was black:
Portal3_Ex_7.png
This will be used to make the plane 3D.
Under Surfaces > Geometry, I added this image as the Displacement Strength and set it to 1. I then set the Maximum Displacement to 200.
Portal_Example_7.png
Note, as the image is now displaced, the image can appear quite away from where the plane actually is.

Finalizing:
Next, was to position it around the Portal. You will need to scale this, as the Circles in the cut out maps are smaller than the other ones used.
Portal_Example_8.png

Next is to place in you environment, adjusting the size and brightness of each plane as you see fit:

Portal_Example_9.png

A few notes:
  • I used a white image for the effects, you can use a coloured one to adjust the colour of the effects and replace the sphere used for the emission. I did this in my second render for the flames.
  • When using the displacement for the effects, it often displaced the wrong way. You can either rotate your plane, or adjust the angle of displacement
  • If the angle of the camera to the portal is too extreme, the perspective may seem off. Here, you may need to adjust the base image by stretching one side to fix the perspective.
  • It can take a bit of time to get the hang of the approach, especially if you're not familiar with Photoshop (or other photo editing software). However, I would only classify myself as a beginner with it and doing this helped me learn a bit more about the program.
I hope this helps and I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. I'm sure other people might do things differently. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer but, I would still say I'm still learning Daz but will still try and answer.

Last edited:

kenring

Oct 28, 2017
Finally sat down and spent some time trying to make these basic images with gIMP and WOW this is hard... I really didn't expect that simple image editing software would be so difficult when Daz has been so simple to learn so far. At this point I have spent several hours just trying to make a circle with blended colors for the transparency layer :oops:

EDIT: Getting the hang of it now. The biggest trick was that gIMP just doesn't do *anything* outside of the selected area so you need to use "select all" all the time. Second trick was to use a lot of image rescaling to achieve the oval effect I wanted.

Last edited: