Daz Problem renders new PC

Arassei

May 28, 2019
Hello,

I bought a new PC for renders only.
I transferred the whole daz library, but when I render, the character is different.
Here are two renders, one with my old PC (good render), the other with my new PC (bad render)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As you can see, the environment is a little "darker " on the floor, the eyes of the girl are more "gray", the lips are redder, the hair are weird and the skin darker. Nothing has been changed in the scene. Daz version is the same.
It's a bit as if the character had become dull.

Does anyone know the solution to this problem?
I can no longer advance in my project, while I have a new PC...

Also, sometimes textures do not apply correctly on models, like they are broken.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I had a big missing files problem at first because my pc wasn't happy with where I put my daz library. it worked by loading the library in Other Import Format, in Content Directory Manager. It always told me "missing files" when I put it in Daz Studio Format.

Thank you very much.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: verzauberung

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Have you tried restoring all files from a backup and putting them in the right location right away?
Incomprehensibly Daz needs all files to be in the exact locations. It cannot handle a split library for some idiotic reason. I'm sorry but that is inexcusable IMHO. Especially for a (semi-)pro software package.

Arassei

May 28, 2019
I did it but it was always " missing files " and all so...
On the old PC, it was also somewhere else (On D because C didn't have enough space anymore), and it worked really well.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Incomprehensibly Daz needs all files to be in the exact locations.
It's perfectly comprehensible, it need them in the exact same location because a duf file is nothing more than a JSON text file (possibly zip compressed). And inside the file, everything is addressed by its path and name. For all assets and texture files (including density maps) it's the path of the image, relative to the root of the library, that will be stored. Therefore if you move one file somewhere else, Daz will not be able to find it, and obviously even less to use it.

And it's relatively standard as approach, even for professional softwares. Else any duf file, even for a relatively basic scene, would be at least few hundreds MB, instead of less than few hundreds KB at most list it is actually. And for more complex scene it would be few GB.

I did it but it was always " missing files " and all so...
Like the path is relative, the most logical explanation is that you forgot to transfer the missing files.

Arassei

May 28, 2019
No, it was a back up. All files were here, in the right place, and I changed the path in the content directory manager, like on my old PC. It just didn't work.

But it this problem really connected to my renders ?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
and I changed the path in the content directory manager,
I believe, and I could very well be wrong here, that you need to tell Daz itself where to find the files.

That being said, I do find it a bit odd that it's only the model and its assets being affected here. Everything else is identical. The "bad" render, at least on my monitor, seems to be truer to natural colors than the good one.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
before you change from old to new export users data in the content database maintenance so you can make a backup
use content directory manager to fix the pathways then do a content database maintenance and select re-import metadata and reset database

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
It's perfectly comprehensible, it need them in the exact same location because a duf file is nothing more than a JSON text file (possibly zip compressed). And inside the file, everything is addressed by its path and name. For all assets and texture files (including density maps) it's the path of the image, relative to the root of the library, that will be stored. Therefore if you move one file somewhere else, Daz will not be able to find it, and obviously even less to use it.

And it's relatively standard as approach, even for professional softwares. Else any duf file, even for a relatively basic scene, would be at least few hundreds MB, instead of less than few hundreds KB at most list it is actually. And for more complex scene it would be few GB.
Sorry I might not have explained it quite correctly. I understand why there is an error. What happens to cause the error. What I (maybe in my naivety) don't understand is why, if my library has the path C:\Daz\My Library and a file has the path C:\Daz\My Library\My Map\My File.file it isn't saved as ...My Map\My File.file
Of course you can use assets outside of the library and they should be stored with the full path listing. But I think that this would make it a lot easier to upgrade your PC/Workstation/Server etc.
Now yes I can see an issue if two files have the same path and file name could lead to issues. (what file should be loaded.) but I do think that might be more of an edge case. Probably both will have the same info as one is probably a duplicate.

Arassei

May 28, 2019
I believe, and I could very well be wrong here, that you need to tell Daz itself where to find the files.

That being said, I do find it a bit odd that it's only the model and its assets being affected here. Everything else is identical. The "bad" render, at least on my monitor, seems to be truer to natural colors than the good one.
Well, you mean with Content Directory Manager, right ? That's what I do.

I thought it was all identical at first, but there is a really little difference with the shadows on the floor. If you DL the two renders and wath closely you will notice it.

before you change from old to new export users data in the content database maintenance so you can make a backup
use content directory manager to fix the pathways then do a content database maintenance and select re-import metadata and reset database
I really don't know what you are talking about :/
What do you want me to do?

But the problem really is because of that?
I mean, of course, when I have seen the render was not the same, I re-applied skin and eyes to the character, but nothing changed.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I really don't know what you are talking about :/
What do you want me to do?

But the problem really is because of that?
I mean, of course, when I have seen the render was not the same, I re-applied skin and eyes to the character, but nothing changed.
this is what I am applying to what you said

you bought a new PC for renders only.
you transferred the whole daz library from your old computer

did you transfer all of it to the new computer even the custom ones too

when you change computers to a new one this mostly the smart content thats if you using it
12364789.png 12365478569.png 123654789.png

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
What happens to cause the error. What I (maybe in my naivety) don't understand is why, if my library has the path C:\Daz\My Library and a file has the path C:\Daz\My Library\My Map\My File.file it isn't saved as ...My Map\My File.file
As I said, but I agree that the obviousness depend on the reader knowledge, 'the path is relative to the root of the library', what mean, in more profane words, that it is saved as "My Map\My File.file".
The problems starts when you have more than one "root" ("c:\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\My Library" by default), because then there's the possible conflict you talk about. But from Daz point of view, there's no conflict since it don't know that the file it will found in the first library isn't the one it should use.

But the main point here is that Daz complain about missing files, and I never seen a case where it did it for another reason than a file effectively missing. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, but it never happened to me, even the firsts time I was using Daz Studio, nor when I was messing with duf files in order to understand their structures.

It's past 3AM, and I'll not mess with an asset just to remember exactly what are the message and how it's presented, but from memory if a file is missing, a dialog box pop up, telling you precisely what file is missing and where it's supposed to be. And this dialog box have a button name "localize" (or something like this) that will let you browse the hard drive, in order to point to the file that Daz should use.

So, it's easy and not too long, to know if the file(s) is/are really missing, or if it's an issue with the configuration of Daz Studio. Because so far, it's just a "normally the backup was complete and have been fully restored" situation, at no time there's the confirmation that the files are effectively where they have do be, and that it's Daz that don't achieve to find them.

Arassei

May 28, 2019
this is what I am applying to what you said

you bought a new PC for renders only.
you transferred the whole daz library from your old computer

did you transfer all of it to the new computer even the custom ones too

when you change computers to a new one this mostly the smart content thats if you using it
View attachment 2312010 View attachment 2312012 View attachment 2312011
I don't know what the custom ones are, but I made a complete copy of my library, paste on external drive, and after that, from the external drive to my new pc. So, everything is on the new pc.

I never use smart content. Only the current library.

So, the first two screens are for the old PC, and the last one for the new pc?
But "reset database " won't delete it from my old PC?

But the main point here is that Daz complain about missing files
It complained before, but not anymore, since I made the right things in Content Directory Manager (I guess...)
it was weird because only the textures were not found, the scene was loading properly (but without any textures)

THe only problem here is now the renders are not the same.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I don't know what the custom ones are, but I made a complete copy of my library, paste on external drive, and after that, from the external drive to my new pc. So, everything is on the new pc.

I never use smart content. Only the current library.

So, the first two screens are for the old PC, and the last one for the new pc?
But "reset database " won't delete it from my old PC?

It complained before, but not anymore, since I made the right things in Content Directory Manager (I guess...)
it was weird because only the textures were not found, the scene was loading properly (but without any textures)

THe only problem here is now the renders are not the same.
then you can ignore my post then

custom ones are the one that you have made yourself

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Sorry I might not have explained it quite correctly. I understand why there is an error. What happens to cause the error. What I (maybe in my naivety) don't understand is why, if my library has the path C:\Daz\My Library and a file has the path C:\Daz\My Library\My Map\My File.file it isn't saved as ...My Map\My File.file
Of course you can use assets outside of the library and they should be stored with the full path listing. But I think that this would make it a lot easier to upgrade your PC/Workstation/Server etc.
Now yes I can see an issue if two files have the same path and file name could lead to issues. (what file should be loaded.) but I do think that might be more of an edge case. Probably both will have the same info as one is probably a duplicate.
Doesn't DAZ usually ask when it encounters missing files?
You can tell DAZ then where the files are.
IF the asset is already missing, there is no use. There are sometimes packages that miss information as they are not complete to begin with.

I have my assets in several directories as i like to have some order with all these assets.
The really important file directories are runtime, data which can not be mixed up (meaning they are in the root). Though i have several of them. Any other file directory is just a shortcut in a sense and can be rearranged.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
But the main point here is that Daz complain about missing files, and I never seen a case where it did it for another reason than a file effectively missing. It doesn't mean that it can't happen, but it never happened to me, even the firsts time I was using Daz Studio, nor when I was messing with duf files in order to understand their structures.
I've had file issues where an asset was transferred from the old library (still active) to the new location when reinstalling the asset via the install manager.
Doesn't DAZ usually ask when it encounters missing files?
You can tell DAZ then where the files are.
IF the asset is already missing, there is no use. There are sometimes packages that miss information as they are not complete to begin with.
Yes Daz asks you to locate the file manually. But it is quite cumbersome. In most cases where I encountered it it was easier to do without (minor changes to a character model) or reload the asset (e.g. furniture).