problem shading daz studio

rolmac

May 28, 2017
Hello
I noticed that on my renderings and on some clothes the deep shadow was not diffuse but it translated by geometric form. (see the white box on the image)
I did a search on the net but I did not really find an explanation for this phenomenon and even less how to solve it.
have an idea about this problem, thank you.

image teste.jpg

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I think this is because the light does not come exactly from the front and is not reflected correctly, I have had this problem.

I recommend you to put a front light... not exactly where the camera is but on one of its sides.
Try these lights:
(Recommended: GridSoft Box)

You can give it little intensity so that it doesn't change the current illumination of the scene, but it will serve to correct those errors, it served me.

If you have any doubt about how to use those lights tell me and I will help you.

Reactions: rolmac

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
If you're talking about those little edges that seem to be appearing, what I think you're running into is the fact that the mesh of that top is not actually a smooth surface - it's a collection of polygons, and I think you're seeing the edges of the polygons because of the way the garment is reacting to the pose, shape morphs, etc.

To prove whether this is the case, you could switch your viewport to "Wire Shaded" or "Wire Texture Shaded" and move in close, which should let you see the polygons themselves. If those are the edges of polygons, it ought to be fairly obvious.

So, how to fix this.
  1. You could add a smoothing modifier to the garment. This will tend to even things out a bit by reducing the tendency of the mesh to buckle.
  2. You could increase the subdivision level of the garment. (Parameters pane : "General / Mesh Resolution" underneath the garment. Try bumping the "Render SubD" up by 1 or 2. (each one you increase it will double the number of polygons, so increasing by 2 means polygons are 1/4 the size. Thus, don't go crazy, or you'll create a LOT of polygons.)
Or, possibly, do both.

The shot below shows what I mean. ("Wire Texture Shaded" view) The black lines show the actual polygons, with the finer lines showing subdivisions. The garment can only really bend along the lines, so if things are coarse, you can get odd-looking folds sometimes. Increasing the subdivision helps this, but, of course, it also increases the number of polygons, which takes somewhat more memory when you go to render. (Usually the size of the textures dwarfs the size of the mesh, however.)
shot1.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
@mgomez0077 has a point, by the way - lighting definitely affects your ability to see artifacts like this. If the light is nearly perpendicular to the surface, it mostly gets hidden. When the light is at a serious angle, small variations in the angles of the polygons are MUCH more noticeable because it increases the variation in the amount of light reflected off each polygon.

Reactions: rolmac

rolmac

May 28, 2017
sorry to answer so late
thank you mgomez0077 for your link
indeed, it is a hint of reflection of light on polygons. thank you for your answer which helped me a lot to understand this phenomenon and solve it

Reactions: Porcus Dev