Daz Problem with hair

Anton3DP

May 24, 2017
Hey guys. So I have a little problem with some of the hair I have. Sometimes when I do renders with an hair asset, there is a some of the hair that are a lot brighter than the others. Making the hair really weird looking. I did a quick render with a basic model to show you what I mean. I used the Caprice Hair as an example.

I don't know if it's normal and I'm just too picky or if it's a problem in my settings.

Test hair.jpg

Anton3DP

May 24, 2017
I tried but the result is the same. But just found out that I only have this problem while using an HDRI. When I use spotlights and emissives I don't seem to have this problem.

turn up the roughness a little bit on the hair materials

NemesiaProductions

Dev of the Family Business
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Can you check if there is a backlight setting available for the hair in its materials tab(content library). Adjusting translucency also resolves it for me depending on the hair.

Anton3DP

May 24, 2017
There is only a shining preset in the hair content library and it doesn't change much. For the translucency, only it being at 0 fixed the bug but the color obviously isn't as good. But as the problem seems to only come from HDRI lightning, I may just stop using them with the hair that glitch like this.

Can you check if there is a backlight setting available for the hair in its materials tab(content library). Adjusting translucency also resolves it for me depending on the hair.

NemesiaProductions

Dev of the Family Business
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
There is only a shining preset in the hair content library and it doesn't change much. For the translucency, only it being at 0 fixed the bug but the color obviously isn't as good. But as the problem seems to only come from HDRI lightning, I may just stop using them with the hair that glitch like this.
I can suggest playing with SSS setting in the surfaces tab. Alternatively, you can use a global hair shader for the hair instead of its own materials. Sometimes, depending on the hair, global shaders can make the hair even better than its own materials.

Anton3DP

May 24, 2017
I'll look at it tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help ! (If you have some links for good global shader it would be amazing)

I can suggest playing with SSS setting in the surfaces tab. Alternatively, you can use a global hair shader for the hair instead of its own materials. Sometimes, depending on the hair, global shaders can make the hair even better than its own materials.

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
I'm curious Anton3DP, when you said quick render, how long did that render take, and what resolution? And was it the G3F or G8F version of the Caprice hair? It looks good!

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Ok that makes sense :)

Because I was about to add that you can play with the gloss on the hair as well to make it less shinny, but my first render looked like this (did not change anything, just hair + color preset 19):

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Then I tried with 1/4th the gloss brightness and got this :

Now, I used a 5 lights source set similar to a studio. But my point is, each render I stoped after 15 minutes, but I didn't see the contrast you were getting, it is strange. My guess would be the lighting? maybe? Needs more testing imo.

PS : What I mean by "gloss" is the brightness of the gloss hue, lowering it very often helps with lowering the highlights of hairs. But the lighting setup I chose doesn't show the effect very well, (she is lit from every side) but because you said quick, I was worried hehe :)

Last edited:

Anton3DP

May 24, 2017
Yeah it's definitely a problem between the hair and the HDRI I'm generally using to make my close-up portrait.

For example those 2 are made with the same HDRI pack I used on the quick render above.

Caroline First Try 2.jpg Secretary V1_Camera.png

And when I used spotlights and emissives, the problem with the hair is gone.

Lauren Potrait.jpg

So in the end it's not the end of the world. It's just a bit annoying.

Ok that makes sense :)

Because I was about to add that you can play with the gloss on the hair as well to make it less shinny, but my first render looked like this (did not change anything, just hair + color preset 19):

Then I tried with 1/4th the gloss brightness and got this :

Now, I used a 5 lights source set similar to a studio. But my point is, each render I stoped after 15 minutes, but I didn't see the contrast you were getting, it is strange. My guess would be the lighting? maybe? Needs more testing imo.

PS : What I mean by "gloss" is the brightness of the gloss hue, lowering it very often helps with lowering the highlights of hairs. But the lighting setup I chose doesn't show the effect very well, (she is lit from every side) but because you said quick, I was worried hehe :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Madmanator99

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Yeah I see, those white hairs should not be white, well, mess with the gloss imo honestly, they go white because of that, but the hairs have multiple surfaces, so find out what part of the hair is on top, and lower that gloss. But also try the other things the other people proposed, I'm sure you ll get it fixed.

I proposed the gloss because of body and pubic hair problems that I had in the past, and realised the gloss was too bright, then tried it for regular hair highlights, and it worked as well, but yeah.

Ps: Great renders! Love them :) (in particular the first one, yep, this is F95 after all haha).

• Red Heart
Reactions: Anton3DP

Anton3DP

May 24, 2017
Okay so by applying and an hair color associated to it, it fixed the problem. (here is a quick render to show you what it looks like)

Test global shader.jpg

And seeing that it fixed it, I looked a bit at the shaders. The Caprice hair has 2 shaders : "OOT Hairblending hair" and "Cap". So I just decided to apply an that changed all the shaders to "Iray Uber" without changing the color I used when I first got the issue. And here what it looks like (again quick render without any PS work to it. Just changed the exposure to 13.8).

Test IRAY.jpg

So the problem probably come from the shader. I'm probably going to stop looking into it. If I have this problem again I'm just going to apply the Iray hair shader and that's it. Thanks all for your help !