problem with rendering

werdddsaa

Still fapping
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2017
I have a GTX 1050 4GB version and i7-7700HQ but strangely whenever im rendering, DAZ keeps on using my processor even when i have selected my gpu. What shall i do? Why is this happening?

PS. im new to rendering so as a side note, rate my renders.

bllahbllub

May 5, 2017
if the scene does not fit in the GPU memory it will default to CPU & the GPU will do nothing for that render, if it exceeds GPU RAM it will make no difference what options you have checked - It will be CPU only

Reactions: Phoenixfarts

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I am rendering on an old GTX 760 with only 2 GB VRAM and have to struggle with this every day. I had a GTX 1070 with 8 GB temporary and even on that card I was VRAM-capped very easily.

[/rant mode enabled]
pick one:

a) DAZ is an unoptimized piece of shit software where unskilled "Artists" with no knowledge about how computers how sell bloated "Art" with unnecessary over-sized textures and ridiculous polygon-counts. Then some gamedev loads up only 2 characters with clothes and is already using more than 8 GB VRAM. Then gamedev tries to render and Iray falls back to CPU because Mr. GPU is out of memory. Now at this point it would be nice to let the gamedev know about this, but no, DAZ (or Iray, don't care who is to blame) does not tell this to the gamedev and there is no way to prevent this. *gamedev sad* Gamedev must now check the DAZ-logfile manually to find out wtf is going on...

b) DAZ is a piece of shit software and after one render-attempt that did fall back to CPU for whatever reason the software must be restarted to use the GPU again.
[/rant mode disabled]

I highly recommend "scene optimizer". Why? The most typical reason for being over the VRAM-maximum is unnecessary high-resolution textures. This script helps to reduce the resolution and has many options to optimize. But please backup your scene and learn how to use it first. It can fuck up your scene if used wrong! Hope this helps.

EDIT: I did not even notice it was 3Delight, sorry. I'm not sure whether "scene optimizer" works with that. But the main problem stays the same, lack of VRAM.

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
You show us an image where you render in 3Delight so it's normal since it does not use the GPU.
Regarding Iray there is a checkbox to activate the GPU but also one to disable the CPU. And the CPU will always be used a minimum in any case.

werdddsaa

Still fapping
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2017
You show us an image where you render in 3Delight so it's normal since it does not use the GPU.
Regarding Iray there is a checkbox to activate the GPU but also one to disable the CPU. And the CPU will always be used a minimum in any case.
I used Iray, it didn't use gpu then i changed to 3delight still didnt use gpu so i asked why it was not using my god for fucking gpu... :(

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
Don't look at task manager to know if your GPU is used because you will not see anything, unless you go directly to the use of cuda cores.

You can use either an external program like GPU-Z or look directly into your daz3d logs. For the logs you go in help => troubleshooting => view log file.
You go all the way down and then you go up to the line where is "rendering ...". Up to the top you normally have a line with this "rendering with X devices" and below the used devices.

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
In fact you can see the use of the GPU in the task manager too but you have to select the correct window (device of cuda cores) to be displayed in the list. But as I do not know the translation in all languages and for all the graphics cards I preferred to offer other possibilities of visualization.