Problems with a black area in Renpy

Timodjin

Jan 18, 2022
Hi guys,
I am not very skilled in computers or programs but I enjoy playing VN here at f95.
I have an annoying problem that accure mostly on Renpy games.
When I hit the button to proceed (in some games) a blackness hits half the screen, from the right upper corner and vertically cover the screen for half a second.
Same thing when some games have animation. Its like a constant tinkle and very annoying.

Annybody facing the same problem and have solved it?

Thanks for help !

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
Could be an issue with the renderer that is used by Ren'py.

You can change it and see if it helps:

How to change renderer in Ren'py
Hold down Shift while starting Ren'Py, or press Shift+G once Ren'Py has started. From the "Graphics Acceleration" menu that appears, choose the renderer to use.

Last edited:

Timodjin

Jan 18, 2022
Hi and thank you for your suggestion.
I am afraid to be discovered as a total idiot, but I do not have the program Renpy downloaded. Its just that most game uses that engine. Can I still get in to the settings troughone game? Or a folder in one game?

//Just found it out// Many thanks !

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
Yes, ren'py just stands as an example for every VN. Just start your VN and hold down shift key to get to the Menu.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Yes, ren'py just stands as an example for every VN. Just start your VN and hold down shift key to get to the Menu.
ya, he is correct. after the game starts, you have to hold Shift + G to try a different render. if that does not fix the problem, you probably might need to consider updating your video drivers to the latest version. make sure to always keep your drivers up to date.

here is a thread that touches on this subject.
however, since i have already added clarity and my explanation, its pretty much verbatim.

Timodjin

Jan 18, 2022
Many thanks.
I just want to add that nothing happend until I restarted the game after changing render.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Many thanks.
I just want to add that nothing happend until I restarted the game after changing render.
Appreciate the feedback you provided in your reply, but were you able to solve the problem you were having?

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Same thing when some games have animation. Its like a constant tinkle and very annoying.
As others have stated already, you may need to change the render type as an initial first step and/or update your video drivers.

On the topic of the former, another user reported a similar issue in the following thread:

https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-black-screen-problem.154041/

One of the users mentioned choosing the "Angle2 Renderer" which supposedly fixed their issue. Try and attempt that as a guess and check method to see if it fixes your black area issue or not.

1707098417114.png