• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Procedural based games?

NotEnoughHats

Mar 27, 2019
I look forward to whatever it is you plan on making. I personally love procedurally generated content. Characters, animations or otherwise. Sometimes shallow things like quantity is what you need for quick and fresh fun. Complex characters are great, don't get me wrong, but not everyone wants a deep story attached each and every time. Mindless fun is absolutely a valid form of entertainment.

InfiniTales

Aug 11, 2021
Thank you :)

Progress has been slow last week. The little time I did have to spend on the project was used for problem solving and testing. I'd like to use runtime cloth simulation and have been trying third party assets. They are capable of impressive things, but documentation is complex and performance cost high. Unity's built-in cloth system is less powerfull but better documented and has lower requirements.

A lot of it all is trying out things, deciding what's most likely to work long term and making compromises. I'll probably dial down the stylized/cartoon look I was going for. The facial features morphs I'm using to randomize aren't really designed for that. The combination works fine inside Daz, but once exported to Unity it gives issues.

I did find a promising third party shader that allows Subsurface Scattering in Unity's URP pipeline, without having to switch to the HD render pipeline (looks fantastic but everything's slower).

On the left, standard Unity URP material. On the right: new shader.

shaders.png

It's a look I definitely wanted, but now I have to redo my (pretty complex) Substance because the textures are on completely different channels and maps. lol
AND I have to look into SSS maps and how they work exactly. I've known about them for a long time but never used them.

Reactions: NotEnoughHats