Programmer seeking knowledge

GuillaumeR

Dec 13, 2017
Hi, I've been around for a year or so and this is my first post.

I'm currently a programmer in the crypto currency world and looking to get some game development knowledge.
I'm familiar with a couple programming language like c++, java/kotlin, c#,php,javascript... I have no experience/talent with visual stuff like rendering/3d animation.

So if you guys need help for anything programming related, I offer my help.

If you also have any idea where else to start I'm all ears, I'm kind of feeling that starting a game on my own is a really big task since I'm really not an artistic kinda guy :p

I've tried some games that I really liked like , ... and I wish to start and learn game dev.

Thanks

Guillaume

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Since you have programming knowledge, I would start by downloading and learning to use DAZ3D until you are happy with the renders you do.

Once you have nailed that, write a story and learn how to use Ren'Py which should be fairly easy for you, especially if your first game will be a simple visual novel.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
What @Winterfire said too. DAZ comes with a lot of tutorials to get you all started (Beginner). Then there's more on their site which you can buy. But, i'd recommend watching youtube videos or even just dabbling yourself. Much faster.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
For the game engine, since you know how to programm, you can go with what you think would be the most suited for you, there's like said earlier, but you could go for something like for exemple, there's alot of choice to be honest, you should seek what seems the best to you before jumping in.
As for renders, there's alot of choice, but the more common choice is, like said already, and it even has alot of tutorials here.
You could also aim for things like , but I would say it require more investment and time to begin doing renders for a game.
You should search and be sure of what you want if you plan to start a game, since once you've started, you can hardly change your engine for your game or renders.

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
If you have knowledge in c++, java/kotlin, c#,php,javascript you can do any game engine you like, by saying that, you just need to find someone to do the images/videos or learn it yourself. Daz3d, blender are 2 "free" options you can check out.
You can also use Ren'py that is almost like python library and the save game and game structure is already pre built

Reactions: GuillaumeR

GuillaumeR

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks for the replies!
I downloaded and installed daz3d along with unity.
I'm gonna start by doing some small scene render and see where that get me.

Reactions: Winterfire

CeLezte

Sep 10, 2017
"I'm familiar with a couple programming language like c++, java/kotlin, c#,php,javascript..."

Well, if you'd like to solo then I guess I'm not telling you anything new when I say, that you should start simple. Make linear games and then slowly iterate towards the game that you'd like to make.
Make sure you pick the programming language and technology that you are most familiar with and the one that you simply love using. Tools and initial knowledge can get you very far and yield more favorable results.
I my self ran into the trap where I started to write my opus magnum (since I already know a lot about computers, programming, App and Program design, but never completed a single game in my life) and now, I'm stuck in the land of nowhere.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Save your Epic Idea for your 3rd game. Make a few small games first to get your __ wet, before diving in.
Several devs had big dreams of being the next rockstar, and their fantastic story crashed and burned forever.

A portfolio of your work, a proven track record, and adoring fans will take you wherever you want to go.
But first you have to let people see what you can do, and you can only do that by doing.
Don't try to find fans. Don't do what you think they want, Do what you like and your fans will find you.
If your game gives you a boner (or makes you moist) it's good to go, that's the only gauge to listen to.
Ignore the critics, they aren't YOUR fans.

You can do like George Lucas, and make you first game Chapter 4 if you want to, then go back and start from the beginning and put all the chapters together. Re-master chapter 4 when you can afford better special effects.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Don't fully disregard critics. As they can sometimes give you insight that you can improve on for the future that some of your fans etc missed.
Constructive criticism is useful, but also very rare. People are so self-centered these days, their idea of criticism is demanding what they want, or raging about what they don't like. That me me me shit can fuck off.
Occasionally you'll get someone who says "I love this scene, but the characters bleed into the background, you should try edge lighting" That is constructive criticism. Take that feedback, look up edge lighting, master it, and incorporate it into your workflow. People used to scream at their televisions, when they didn't like something, the advent of social media gives them a voice that can be heard, but a lot of that screaming from a former era, carries into the new. They hear stories about social justice, and think "people will read my post, and the world will be a better place because of it" eventually they realize that they are just a drop in the ocean of people online, and they either ragequit, or they quit raging. Don't let their delicious tears influence your work.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
Yes! Love the replies. I was actually thinking too far for my first projects. I'll try to keep it clean and simple. Thanks a lot :D
Take it one day at a time dude :) best advice. Don't think to far ahead. If you are making games for experience, just start 1 or 2 small games with say i don't know 100-200 renders. Then when you feel comfortable you can start branching out and doing bigger games etc.

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
I advise against spending lots of time trying to produce visual elements of your game, knowing how stuff works is necessary specially if you want to manage the project yourself, but that's as far as you should extend into those things.
your time has more value if you spending it doing what you're good at, specially for a programmer that can bridge the cryptocurrency world and games.
I suggest choosing either unity or renpy and start making your game using placeholder art assets, when you have a playable demo, you can hire artists for a share of revenue and finish the game.
you can also work for other teams to gain some experience, there should be a big demand for programmers that can incorporate blockchain and cryptocurrency into the games. I know I would need one at some point.

Reactions: GuillaumeR