Proper etiquette when working for or with someone {Freelancer and Developer}

Blue Otter Games

Game Developer
Aug 12, 2020
Wasn't certain that I needed to clog the recruitment thread with this, so I am posting this here for now since it isn't technically recruiting... but talking about recruitment from the side of both a freelancer and a developer.

I now work with 9 teams (always looking for more!) as a writer and proofreader and have come across what is right and wrong in this type of industry more times than I can count. Since we are largely a community effort, I thought it would be prudent to tell it like it is.

AS A FREELANCER:
- Never sell yourself short. If you are freelancing, then you likely are making some sort of an income off of it. Don't take a job because you are desperate, and the developer offering it isn't charging fare rates.
- Don't get greedy. We are all human and money is a thing. Be sensible when it comes to your rates!
- Be professional. For real guys, don't dick around. Carry yourself with professionalism, and whether you are a veteran or not, it'll go a long way.
- Like a good VN game, expose yourself! Once you do something good, shout about it. Put it on your profile. Hell, if you have a simple folder with a few snippets of the stuff you can do that showcases your talents, then that's going to go a long way.

AS A DEVELOPER:
- Be picky. It's okay if you don't find the right person right away. There are plenty of artists, proofreaders, etc. out there that might fit the project better, you just haven't met them yet.
- Have a goal in mind. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to work with someone and they have no clue where they are going. Have a clear goal and communicate it.
- Pay right. For real, guys, there is nothing sketchier than offering to pay a freelancer after you have received their work. Work on a deal. Pay through PayPal where you can dispute something if you don't get the product, or pay half up front, half when the product is received. Fairness is good!
- Finish what you start! There are a ton of projects out there that are half-assed and half-finished. Unless you are working alone, never leave anyone on a project if you can help it. Finish what you started, and the reward might make all that work worth it...

Those are the big highlights I wanted to go over guys. Always open to discuss more about it, especially since I have been on both sides and have worked across the screenwriting business for a long while now. Hope this helps someone get their next team the best it can be. Keep creating.