PSA for Daz Studio users using Windows 10... moving your Daz content to a separate drive/partition to avoid issues...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hey y'all!

So, a few people around the web have reported having serious issues with the latest Windows 10 update. This is by itself not that unusual (unfortunately), BUT, a Daz forum member has been going through hell since the Spring update installed on his system....

Short form, the user had their Daz Studio content in the 'default user directories' (i.e. C:>Public or User >Documents), and the content disappeared after the update. Initially, the OP'er feared that the content had been permanently deleted, but fortunately in the OP'er's case, the content ended up in a temp directory created by the Windows installer that he discovered a day or so later, and he was able to drag the content back into position. Of course, there's been a few other issues that the OP'er is still needing to iron out that were caused by the Spring Update...

ANYWAYS, a few veteran Daz Studio users are STRONGLY SUGGESTING that you do NOT install your Daz content onto the C: drive, and if you have, that you seriously consider moving it to a separate drive, or at least a separate hard drive partition. This is actually an 'ongoing' suggestion that has been offered for years, but yeah I'd hate to see some of you here having to go through the hell that the OP'er on the Daz forum just went through.

I've been lazy myself and have a bunch of stuff in the Public Documents directory and the User Directory for my 'default' Daz install, but no doubt I'll be looking into moving stuff in the near future.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
Install DAZ and other assets etc you buy onto an External HDD. When there's an update unplug the External HDD safely so you don't corrupt it. Then Voila. Haven't had an issue since i've done it that way.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Thx for the note @OhWee. It's always better to don't use the C: drive for Daz stuff, it can quickly consume all of the available space in no time.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Hey y'all!

So, a few people around the web have reported having serious issues with the latest Windows 10 update. This is by itself not that unusual (unfortunately), BUT, a Daz forum member has been going through hell since the Spring update installed on his system....

Short form, the user had their Daz Studio content in the 'default user directories' (i.e. C:>Public or User >Documents), and the content disappeared after the update.
Ya, there was a problem with the original version of this update. Microsoft pulled it, worked on it, and re-released it, thinking they'd solved the problem, but it still rears its heads for a few folks. I remember some chatter about it being triggered by an uncommon folder configuration, but don't remember the details.

Regardless, the real solution is to have backups. Even if Windows functioned perfectly, there's always the possibility of a hard disk crash or other hardware failure. Or a leaky pipe above your computer. Or whatever. Your hardware will die at some point - you need to be prepared for that.

(Side note - if you consider the billions of possible combinations of hardware out there, the fact that Windows works as smoothly as it does is worth at least a few kudos. You really only hear about the relatively rare problems, as opposed to the millions of systems on which is works well.) (And, no, I don't work for Microsoft... LOL)

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Install DAZ and other assets etc you buy onto an External HDD. When there's an update unplug the External HDD safely so you don't corrupt it. Then Voila. Haven't had an issue since i've done it that way.
For bought stuff unless it isn't from Daz3d you can still have it later from Daz3d database.
My Daz is installed in C but the render library and the scenes etc are all in my one drive lol (never did it on purpose and it's a long story of why it's like that now lol)

Reactions: 8873672413434

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
If you google the terms.. work drive, scratch drive, scratch space, you can read the history of graphically intensive programs
and how dedicating a separate physical drive from the main operating system and software can improve performance.

Keeping your Data on a different drive than the OS, has always been a good practice.

windows 10 can move your /user for you

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
you could right click on the folder, goto the security tab, and delete the system permission

its best todo a search and find out about inheriting rules into the subdirectories etc, if you know nothing about security permissions

but its windows, and with every major update, windows will probably reset all the custom permissions you have set throughout your whole install