Pure chaos feature - choice randomizer.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Just tried out a game (Favorite Son ) I honestly didn't like the game, but it had a feature that I found interesting. A choice randomizer. It presented your standard choice options (pick a girl, action, whatever) and on top of that it presented a set of dice that would randomize your choice for you. It got me thinking. Imagine playing games like Fetish Locator, DMD, or even Being a DIK with entirely randomized choices. The chaos potential is extreme.

I'm the kind of guy that thinks that would be worth it for the luls of what happens, but I also think that F95 would go up in flames if some people were brave enough to use it. Anyone else see the potential of that kind of thing? Or am I just off kilter...again.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm the kind of guy that thinks that would be worth it for the luls of what happens, but I also think that F95 would go up in flames if some people were brave enough to use it. Anyone else see the potential of that kind of thing? Or am I just off kilter...again.
For fun, yes, it can possibly be interesting, but the common base for my two main mods is to replace the randomization by a choice gave to the player, and for the return I got over the time, it's generally the first reason why people come to those mods.

Strictly speaking it's not the randomization itself the problem, but more the fact that the devs not being professional, it end being a constraint instead of an advantage. When you play the game since many updates, and suddenly discover, through a post, that you missed a big part of the story because you've been always unlucky with one particular randomization, it's relatively frustrating.
After all if, globally, we don't expect too much regarding the quality of the games here, it's mostly because we want to be entertained, more than we are searching for some challenge. And randomization, at least as generally used, goes at the opposite of this entertainment. This even in the case you're talking about.

Unless it's purely optional, with Fetish Locator it would lead to a big mess. The relation with Lyssa being randomized ? Some play mainly for this character, others want to avoid it at all cost. Dahlia or Daisy being randomized ? Will you submit or dominate isn't something that one want to loose control over. Or the cage to choice... The consequences are so different... In a way it's a case where it could be interesting, but the difference is too radical, it would necessarily disappoint many players.
But, as I implied, it doesn't mean that randomization by themselves are a bad thing. It's just that they shouldn't have an impact too important on the story, or offer the possibility to change the result ("Excuse yourself and run to catch Daisy before she leave"). And when needed they should be completed by a watchdog when you've been unlucky for too long.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Strictly speaking it's not the randomization itself the problem, but more the fact that the devs not being professional, it end being a constraint instead of an advantage. When you play the game since many updates, and suddenly discover, through a post, that you missed a big part of the story because you've been always unlucky with one particular randomization, it's relatively frustrating.
Agreed. A lot of care would have to go into the creation of the feature. It would have to take into account the possibility of skipped content as well as extra care into the story itself. Pure randomization can play havoc with the flow of a story.

Unless it's purely optional, with Fetish Locator it would lead to a big mess.
The consequences are so different... In a way it's a case where it could be interesting, but the difference is too radical, it would necessarily disappoint many players.
From the way I look at things that's where the fun comes in. And the resulting bonfire it would build on these boards, lol.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
if there's a way to affect the probabilities strategically (character stats) it's just the basic rpg concept since the last 50 years. which is incredibly popular.

if you can't affect the rng strategically it's more like any normal board game where you throw dice. also incredibly popular.

Reactions: Meaning Less