• Yes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters

Picks

May 27, 2022
Hi,

I'm a programmer that's learning how to do art (because I'm a perfectionist that has trouble accepting help from others because "they won't do it right" - something I'm also working on) and while I quite like the look that I'm going towards here, I'm just wondering if you guys had any taste for it too. I understand that you really need to work on what you want to work on, but at the same time if you're making something for an audience and the audience is booing and throwing tomatoes at you, you probably should change your approach.

All critique is welcome and appreciated, even just saying "it sucks", though some elaboration would be even more appreciated if you don't like it.

If it's in the wrong forum, mods please move or delete the thread. Also, I'm fresh meat here and not sure on forum etiquette, so I've left the option on the poll to "display votes publicly" OFF, so vote anonymity should be preserved.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Lerd0

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
It looks alright for a stylized type I suppose. Personally not the biggest fan of the over exaggerating of the body shape, but everyone has its own preference. The texture looks alright, but its hard to say since it has no details at all. You would prob get more feedback if its a complete character design, as this just seems to much of a work in progress. Proper coloring of the face (like the lips, cheeks, etc.) and adding eyes/hair would go a long way.

Reactions: randomguy and Picks

Picks

May 27, 2022
Good point about doing more and having a more complete image to show. I was thinking the same thing after I posted it, that maybe it's just too early to be asking.
Thanks for your feedback - I'll go put the nose back to the grindstone.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Rather than argue my own preferences I'll just point out that "oversized tits and ass/hips" is the go-to archetype for most who don't choose "teen" or straight up loli as their category (and even some who do). Nothing inherently wrong with that but the market is oversaturated with "v0.1 Demo"s already so your project would need something else to distinguish itself.

As-is your render looks like it would fit into the "shortstack", "goblin girl" or some "alien babe" contexts with relatively few tweaks so those might be niche subgroups to cater to if you yourself really like these proportions.

Reactions: Picks

Picks

May 27, 2022
Rather than argue my own preferences I'll just point [...]
Thanks! This all makes a lot of sense. I still have a long way to go and haven't zeroed in "my style" yet, but it's good having other perspectives on it.

nulnil

May 18, 2021
Assuming these are just the proportions and not the final product, yeah it could be enjoyable.

dmmt

May 8, 2020
Those proportions would turn me away from the game. That said, asking for preferences in body styles, is like for preferences in natural hair colors. Different strokes, for different folks.

Reactions: Picks and Vanderer

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
It sucks. :whistle::coffee:
The model is not finished and so i can't possibly give you an adequate opinion, show us one that is properly finished.

OldMoonSong

Jun 2, 2018
Why reinvent the wheel modeling characters from scratch?

There are character shaping morphs for genesis figures in DAZ which you can use to get this kind of emphasized / stylized proportions and style, ranging from cartoon-ish to realistic.

If your goal is to learn 3d modeling, sure, go on ahead. But if your goal is to actually make a game, whatever, then you're better off making smaller tweaks / customizations to existing characters with an established platform and asset accessibility.

Again if you insist on learning 3d modeling because you like it, that's fine but it will certainly come with a **significant** cost in the time and effort it takes to make anything.

Picks

May 27, 2022
If your goal is to learn 3d modeling
Yeah, it just boils down to this - I'll also be trying to do music at some point.
I'm really enjoying the 3D part because it's very different from the programming part and gives me a way to use the right half of my brain while the left half cools down.

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
for the moment it seems ugly to me, but I postpone my final judgment until the project is finished. I understand that you are looking for an intermediate judgment to understand which way you are heading, but it does not seem convincing at this point of the work