Question about 7zip

herooo69

Jul 12, 2018
Hey guys, so recently i use 7zip to extract a game. I know 7zip has the ability to compress a files, my question is when I extract a file will it automatically compress a file? or you have to do it manually?
English is not my first language, so I hope you understand what I'm asking.
Thank you in advance!:)

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
"Unpacking" is what you do after downloading stuff from someone else. Part of that is UNcompressing which these programs indeed do automatically.

The exception would be compressed images, video or audio which are sometimes offered as alternative downloads for very large games. This type of compression is not done via 7zip and generally cannot be reversed, similar to how you can make a crappy 360p video from a 1080p original but not the opposite. But again this only matters if there are two or more different downloads for the same game where only one is called "compressed" or the like.

herooo69

Jul 12, 2018
"Unpacking" is what you do after downloading stuff from someone else. Part of that is UNcompressing which these programs indeed do automatically.

The exception would be compressed images, video or audio which are sometimes offered as alternative downloads for very large games. This type of compression is not done via 7zip and generally cannot be reversed, similar to how you can make a crappy 360p video from a 1080p original but not the opposite. But again this only matters if there are two or more different downloads for the same game where only one is called "compressed" or the like.
thankyou somuch for the answer!