Question about animations

kyoshi98

Nov 8, 2019
Hi, I'm making a game in unity and I need some 2D sex animations. I have 2 questions regarding this:
- if I wanted to make the animations interactable, what is the easiest way to do interactable animations? Something like Pic2Jelly animations or "Demon's stele and dog princess" kind of interaction.
-if I wanted to make non-interactable animations, same question basically.

Are there some tools to make interactable or non-interactable animations and then use them in unity?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Unity has a whole 2D animation system, and both they and Youtube have lots of online videos showing how they work. Essentially, you need to build a character that can be broken into parts so that the individual parts can move with respect to one another. So, if you're talking about a human figure, probably breaking the figure at each of the joints (with overlap), then build sort of a "skeleton" for the character so that the limbs move based on whatever user input you get.

So the "hard" part in this is creating the character graphics, since you have to take your figure (produced via whatever method) and break it up into its constituent parts in a workable manner.

For non-interactable animations, embedding a movie file is pretty easy.

kyoshi98

Nov 8, 2019
Unity has a whole 2D animation system, and both they and Youtube have lots of online videos showing how they work. Essentially, you need to build a character that can be broken into parts so that the individual parts can move with respect to one another. So, if you're talking about a human figure, probably breaking the figure at each of the joints (with overlap), then build sort of a "skeleton" for the character so that the limbs move based on whatever user input you get.

So the "hard" part in this is creating the character graphics, since you have to take your figure (produced via whatever method) and break it up into its constituent parts in a workable manner.

For non-interactable animations, embedding a movie file is pretty easy.
Thank you very much for your reply! Do you know any method or particular software to do the figure and also split it?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thank you very much for your reply! Do you know any method or particular software to do the figure and also split it?
This would be something you'd probably have to do manually in a program like Photoshop or GIMP. The trick is the joints. So, you can't just slice the figure up, because obviously then people will see the slices. Instead, consider the knee. What you probably need to do is create one image that's the shin and another that's the thigh, but in the knee area what you probably need is to have some of the knee in the shin and some of the knee also in the thigh, possibly with some transparency in one or the other where the two overlap (whichever one is "on top"), so that as the knee bends the two images (overlapping one another) give the impression of the knee bending, as opposed to a "ball-joint doll."

The other challenge would be areas of overlap that hide parts underneath. Let's say that the arm overlaps the trunk. (Think of a side view of a person.) In this case, you'd obviously have to cut out the arm into a separate image (again, possibly with some transparency at the shoulder) so that it can rotate, but then have to deal with the area that the arm overlaps. That might mean a render (assuming you're using 3D software to generate the figure) without the arm, or with the arm repositioned so that you have all of the trunk, including the part that the arm overlaps when it's in its resting position.

This obviously sounds tedious, but it's definitely doable. "Back when" there were a bunch of games released at that used this kind of animation in Flash-based games. If you can still get them to run, you might want to study one, with particular attention to the graphics. If you squint carefully, you can see how he cut up the figures to do exactly what you're talking about. His games also tended to use "progressive animation," where, as you moved the mouse around, certain motions would gradually increase in magnitude over time (um, think "insertion" LOL), or would otherwise gradually change, and so what would happen is that you'd reach a screen where you'd have to execute the motions a number of times until a certain goal was achieved, at which point you'd then be able to progress to the next screen. It was an interesting game mechanic. Not necessarily for everyone, but creative.

The other entirely different approach to this whole thing, of course, is to just create an image series, and to index back and forth through the image series based on the user interaction. A lot depends on exactly what kind of animation you're trying to achieve. If it's a simple linear motion (grin) then the image series approach would probably work. (Although it could be memory-intensive if you have too many images). If you're really going to be animating in multiple directions (up/down/left/right) simultaneously, then the first approach is more likely to give you something "good looking."

Reactions: kyoshi98

kyoshi98

Nov 8, 2019
This would be something you'd probably have to do manually in a program like Photoshop or GIMP. The trick is the joints. So, you can't just slice the figure up, because obviously then people will see the slices. Instead, consider the knee. What you probably need to do is create one image that's the shin and another that's the thigh, but in the knee area what you probably need is to have some of the knee in the shin and some of the knee also in the thigh, possibly with some transparency in one or the other where the two overlap (whichever one is "on top"), so that as the knee bends the two images (overlapping one another) give the impression of the knee bending, as opposed to a "ball-joint doll."

The other challenge would be areas of overlap that hide parts underneath. Let's say that the arm overlaps the trunk. (Think of a side view of a person.) In this case, you'd obviously have to cut out the arm into a separate image (again, possibly with some transparency at the shoulder) so that it can rotate, but then have to deal with the area that the arm overlaps. That might mean a render (assuming you're using 3D software to generate the figure) without the arm, or with the arm repositioned so that you have all of the trunk, including the part that the arm overlaps when it's in its resting position.

This obviously sounds tedious, but it's definitely doable. "Back when" there were a bunch of games released at that used this kind of animation in Flash-based games. If you can still get them to run, you might want to study one, with particular attention to the graphics. If you squint carefully, you can see how he cut up the figures to do exactly what you're talking about. His games also tended to use "progressive animation," where, as you moved the mouse around, certain motions would gradually increase in magnitude over time (um, think "insertion" LOL), or would otherwise gradually change, and so what would happen is that you'd reach a screen where you'd have to execute the motions a number of times until a certain goal was achieved, at which point you'd then be able to progress to the next screen. It was an interesting game mechanic. Not necessarily for everyone, but creative.

The other entirely different approach to this whole thing, of course, is to just create an image series, and to index back and forth through the image series based on the user interaction. A lot depends on exactly what kind of animation you're trying to achieve. If it's a simple linear motion (grin) then the image series approach would probably work. (Although it could be memory-intensive if you have too many images). If you're really going to be animating in multiple directions (up/down/left/right) simultaneously, then the first approach is more likely to give you something "good looking."
Basically I wanted to make a device where you select the animation to do to a specific character (obv nsfw aniamtions). I'm not an artist, so doing the animation manually would be super difficult. I'm trying with 2D animation built in in unity but I'm a bit confused. Because I want to be able to use many identical animations with different characters, which approch do you think is better? Note that I want to various aniamtions and I need to deformate some parts.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Because I want to be able to use many identical animations with different characters, which approch do you think is better? Note that I want to various aniamtions and I need to deformate some parts.
Again, it depends on what you mean by "interactive." If you mean, "push this button for cowgirl, push that button for doggie," then recording a series of movies or some image series for each character and just switching between them might be sufficient. But if you mean, "she moves up, down, left and right based on where I move my mouse," that probably needs the articulated sprite type approach. There is no single "best" - at most, there is "best for this particular effect I want to give." So, I really can't say more than I have based on generalities.

Reactions: kyoshi98