Question about Daz Asset "Rx"

Craiggerbird

Feb 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've recently been trying to render a scene using the pills and pill bottle from the asset "Rx."

In the product images, the pill bottles look somewhat realistic, with an orange color and a translucency that resembles real-life pill bottles.

1632018092706.png 1632018119979.png

However, when I try to use this product in a render, they always appear fairly opaque and unrealistic. (Sure, you can see through the bottle a bit, but it doesn't appear truly translucent like it would in real life.)

1632018192496.png

I've tried experimenting with different lighting and with different settings in the pill bottle's "surfaces" section, but I haven't been able to make them look nearly as good as they do in the product images.

Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong here? Any advice is appreciated.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Are you rendering with Iray or 3Delight? That's a 3Delight product so it obviously won't look as good in Iray since it's built for a completely different rendering engine. If you look for your Default Resources kit it should have some free Iray shaders. See if there's a shader you can steal and then reapply the texture maps to it.

Reactions: Craiggerbird

Craiggerbird

Feb 24, 2020
Oh, you're right! I'm rendering in Iray, which explains the problem. For some reason, I saw "Daz Studio Render" on the promo images and interpreted that as "Daz Studio Iray Render."

Just so I don't make this same mistake in the future, how can you tell that it's a 3Delight product?

And thank you for the advice. I'm applying Uber glass shaders and fiddling with the colors and settings to try to make it look like translucent plastic. We'll see if that works or if I just use something else for a bottle instead.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
One these ( , . 2nd is free, so might be worth a shot regardless.) might be worth a look. You could always download the first and try it, and then buy it if it works for you.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Oh, you're right! I'm rendering in Iray, which explains the problem. For some reason, I saw "Daz Studio Render" on the promo images and interpreted that as "Daz Studio Iray Render."

Just so I don't make this same mistake in the future, how can you tell that it's a 3Delight product?

And thank you for the advice. I'm applying Uber glass shaders and fiddling with the colors and settings to try to make it look like translucent plastic. We'll see if that works or if I just use something else for a bottle instead.
Anything with an SKU below 20000-ish is 3Delight. The promos will use that old-school Daz Studio Render logo instead of the Iray symbol and you can tell from the description. Obviously if it was made before Iray the description won't mention it but when you get a feel for the program you can tell just from the file extensions how old it is.

Not to mention 3Delight renders just look plastic and fake next to Iray renders.

Craiggerbird

Feb 24, 2020
Sorry that I didn't respond to these messages sooner. I meant to.

MissFortune: Thank you for giving me those shader options. They actually looked great in certain lighting but then weird in the darker/night lighting that I had set up, so I ended up not going with either of those for the bottle. But I did use ED's plastic shader on the pills, and that worked wonderfully, so thanks a ton for that.

MidnightArrow: Thank you for the information about that. I'll make sure to check out the SKU when looking at older products in the future.