Question about game engines

Enfrize

May 9, 2018
Is there any game engine that does not require you to be proficient at coding? Like, all Engines I know require you to be like a Microsoft employee whereas I just want to create my simple little game without delving into that rocket science. Anything out there for noobs like me?

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
may be for you, because it has visual scripting.
Renpy is pretty easy as well if you want to make a simple game.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I forget if game studio cost money, but before it was called game maker, it was free, and you didn't need to code, you just made game objects and clicked button and it would basically give objects programs to follow, such as to allow characte movement.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Is there any game engine that does not require you to be proficient at coding? Like, all Engines I know require you to be like a Microsoft employee whereas I just want to create my simple little game without delving into that rocket science. Anything out there for noobs like me?
using the story format is pretty simple and it's 100% free. It's what's used to make most HTML games you see here.

You can make a "choose your own adventure" (CYOA) style game, where the only "coding" you need to know is the markup to make the links to the next passages. And that's simply [[Link text|Passage name]].

That said, if you want to make your game more complicated than just a CYOA game, you can, though that will require some coding. How much coding depends on what you want to do. Fortunately, SugarCube has a lot of built-in tools for things commonly used in these kinds of games, and there are plenty of places where you can find sample code or people to help you with writing that code, such as the .

Hope that helps and good luck with your game! :)

Reactions: Rafster

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It really comes down to the type of project/game you want to work on. Twine is great for text-heavy/wordy and/or CYOA games. For Daz+Ren'py, Renpy requires very little in way of coding unless you're making a sandbox. Of course, like Twine, you can get more advanced with Renpy, but games made via Renpy are generally VNs/KNs. So there's a lot of "scene image_name with dissolve" and tracking variables/statements. That's about it for the base of Renpy. A WYSIWYG-esque program like aforementioned Godot might easiest as far as pure simplicity goes.

FMGames69

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2021
For mine I'm using RPG Maker MZ, it's simple to learn, and if you want to add coding you can.
As said above it really depends on what you want to create (rpg, platform, Visual novel ...).
For example (I didn't try it yet) I know that game maker studio is good for platformers and doesn't require coding.