Ren'Py Question about kissing scenes

RandomFarmer

Jul 3, 2017
Hello eveyone. I have been having issues with kissing scenes aside from difficulty of posing them :
Now kiss.png
My real issue lies when first person is involved so I am wondering which is best for immersion. I am including a couple of renders that I would like to know your oppinons about. thank you all.

Samples of third person:
SHT38.png
H130-A42-B21.png H130-A42-B34.png

Sample 1st Person without Head:

SHT55.png

Samples 1st person with head:

SHT62.png SHT63.png

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
All styles pose inherent issues in different contexts. If your VN is already in third-person, then there really isn't much to worry about. Though, you're likely better off hiding as much of the male character's face as possible, as many players seem to enjoy self-inserting into said character. It really all just depends on the context and POV of your VN.

The problem with kissing expressions in first person is that you get so close to the character that you either start seeing skin-quality issues or you risk having a a mostly pretty girl with a massive duckface, if done wrong:

duck1.png

Not bad, just kinda weird/off-putting to me. Third person, if you don't actively use it in your VN can break immersion, but again, it really depends on how much you use it beyond kissing. As said, it'll look normal if your VN is already in third-person or if you actively use third-person angles. Just hide the face, unless you prefer your male protagonist having a face and are willing to put up with players vocalizing their dislike of it. One other option that I don't have an example of is just showing doing a closeup on the kiss itself, from nose to neck/collar bones. It allows to ignore toying with the eyes and (most of) the hair, along with a lot of the body.

I personally abhor posing kissing scenes, so I default to the distant, third-person kisses in a dark area to hide collisions, etc. But a majority of my VN is also in third-person, both in view and writing:

llhome48.png lvbar72.png

Reactions: RandomFarmer

RandomFarmer

Jul 3, 2017
All styles pose inherent issues in different contexts. If your VN is already in third-person, then there really isn't much to worry about. Though, you're likely better off hiding as much of the male character's face as possible, as many players seem to enjoy self-inserting into said character. It really all just depends on the context and POV of your VN.

The problem with kissing expressions in first person is that you get so close to the character that you either start seeing skin-quality issues or you risk having a a mostly pretty girl with a massive duckface, if done wrong:

View attachment 1488212

Not bad, just kinda weird/off-putting to me. Third person, if you don't actively use it in your VN can break immersion, but again, it really depends on how much you use it beyond kissing. As said, it'll look normal if your VN is already in third-person or if you actively use third-person angles. Just hide the face, unless you prefer your male protagonist having a face and are willing to put up with players vocalizing their dislike of it. One other option that I don't have an example of is just showing doing a closeup on the kiss itself, from nose to neck/collar bones. It allows to ignore toying with the eyes and (most of) the hair, along with a lot of the body.

I personally abhor posing kissing scenes, so I default to the distant, third-person kisses in a dark area to hide collisions, etc. But a majority of my VN is also in third-person, both in view and writing:

View attachment 1488220 View attachment 1488223
Thx mate I get you point, I want to go full first person, but sometimes you have to compromise.