Question about making a game (Visual novel) and licensing ?

Deleted member 986080

Kim Bora: "Somniaaaaaaaa!!!!"
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2018
Hi,

My friend and i are making a game, a visual novel though the Rnpy software. We collected a bunch of mods though the years, characters/ locations / outfits etc though the daz3 official site.
My question is, can i create a game using these assets or do i have to ask the mod creator ?

I looked online for some answers, but it was vague, it confused me even more than it helped.

Ps : i do not intend to sell the game, it will be for free, i have a real job out of this (in IT, a more than decent income). Maybe in a far future if this game really please people, but i don't see it happen.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
When you make something with the assets you own the result, as its considered something new. If you make a render for example you own the render and it has nothing to do with the assets anymore; you aren't delivering the 3D model to the end user but a render from it.

As long as you dont use the assets themselves in your game (as a 3D model), you are free to do whatever you want to do with them.

Reactions: Jucon

KingXeno07

Jul 1, 2022
When you make something with the assets you own the result, as its considered something new. If you make a render for example you own the render and it has nothing to do with the assets anymore; you aren't delivering the 3D model to the end user but a render from it.

As long as you dont use the assets themselves in your game (as a 3D model), you are free to do whatever you want to do with them.
Sorry i don't get it,you can make the scenes with the assets?"As long as you dont use the assets themselves in your game (as a 3D model)" what does this mean?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry i don't get it,you can make the scenes with the assets?"As long as you dont use the assets themselves in your game (as a 3D model)" what does this mean?
You can use an asset to render a scene that you'll use to illustrate your game, but you can't use it inside a real time 3D game.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
is it same for the assets in the Assets Release page? or do i get copyright if i use them?
You know your on a Pirate website right? All the Assets in the Release page or not made by the people posting them, they are pirated from the DAZ web shop or other web shops that sell those assets.

Anyway you are fine using the Assets in the Release page to create a visual novel. The renders you make with them are your own, nobody can copyright claim your renders. Even if they are made by pirated assets. As long as you don't tell everybody the renders are made with pirated assets you will be fine.

If you make an actual real time 3D game with them, the models you used aren't your own. DAZ can copyright claim the assets you used and unless you bought their specific real time 3D game license, you are out of luck.

The difference between who owns what is in the game (You own the renders in a VN, DAZ owns the models in real time 3D game) is the reason why its save to use pirated assets to create renders for a VN, but it's not advised to use pirated assets in a real time 3D game.

Reactions: TheRealFatslob

KingXeno07

Jul 1, 2022
You know your on a Pirate website right? All the Assets in the Release page or not made by the people posting them, they are pirated from the DAZ web shop or other web shops that sell those assets.

Anyway you are fine using the Assets in the Release page to create a visual novel. The renders you make with them are your own, nobody can copyright claim your renders. Even if they are made by pirated assets. As long as you don't tell everybody the renders are made with pirated assets you will be fine.

If you make an actual real time 3D game with them, the models you used aren't your own. DAZ can copyright claim the assets you used and unless you bought their specific real time 3D game license, you are out of luck.

The difference between who owns what is in the game (You own the renders in a VN, DAZ owns the models in real time 3D game) is the reason why its save to use pirated assets to create renders for a VN, but it's not advised to use pirated assets in a real time 3D game.
Ohkay got it:D:D, thanks for the reply