Question about posing a character in the scene

lordshimra

Mar 30, 2017
So i am posing a character on a bed. after getting her placed where i want i want to look at another pose but when i click on the pose it always places the character somewhere else in the scene and then i have to go about finding them and moving them back to the bed. is there an option to get them to just switch the pose where they are currently placed? thanks

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
In my experience it's also always best to zero the characters pose before you apply another pose as well. And create a new group when 2 characters are involved and put them in it

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
In my experience it's also always best to zero the characters pose before you apply another pose as well. And create a new group when 2 characters are involved and put them in it
You're correct that this doesn't hurt. The problem the OP was running into was that the pose itself included x,y,z positioning for the character, so when he applied the pose, it moved the character. I find this annoying, but in some cases it's intended to position a character at a particular position within a particular set. That I can forgive - when the poses come with the set. But when random poses include x,y,z settings, that's just laziness on the part of the creator, since they're not hard to exclude when you build the pose preset.

But your point about using groups is a good one - if you have a pair of characters you're trying to pose, if you put both characters into a group, any "two character pose sets" that involve x,y,z will then do the x,y,z move with respect to the group, as opposed to with respect to your scene, and then you can position the pair within your scene by moving the group.

lordshimra

Mar 30, 2017
yeah that repositioning was a problem. 1 thing i have seen with what was suggested is that i will untick the x,y,z and it still rotates the character which is fine but if i untick the translation and rotation then it will not even change the characters pose. thanks for the suggestiong of zeroing them out and grouping them. sometimes its the little things we forget.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
yeah that repositioning was a problem. 1 thing i have seen with what was suggested is that i will untick the x,y,z and it still rotates the character which is fine but if i untick the translation and rotation then it will not even change the characters pose. thanks for the suggestiong of zeroing them out and grouping them. sometimes its the little things we forget.
Right, because "rotation" includes not just the main "how is the character facing" but also all the rotations of all the joints, which is what makes up a pose. So you have to tolerate the fact that the character may end up facing another direction and have to fix that. Again, laziness on the part of the people producing the pose, because (usually) there's no reason to include the base character's x,y,z rotations in the pose.