Question about POV games

Which do you prefer.

• Total voters

tormented

Jan 31, 2020
I am working on a game, however I been debating on what type of POV I should use. So I want to ask everyone here which POV do you prefer.

First person view:
Seeing through the MC's eyes. You wont see the MC's face and only see parts of the players body. But also restrains the different images can be taken.

third person view:
Some don't like 3rd person because either they want to imagine that they are the character rather than seeing a person doing it the sexual stuff with other characters or just don't like the characters look. the upside about being in 3rd person you can get multiple angles of a specific scene.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
Really depends on if it's designed to be a self insert game or not. If it is, focus on 1st person, but it's fine to have 3rd person segments too imo. Though if you do this, try to make sure your player character model isn't terrible looking. That can be distracting, as some of my players have told me. (Version 1 MC had some big ass lips apparently).

Limiting yourself just to 1st person really puts a cap on the camera angles you can use, and sometimes things just look best from a non 1st person perspective. If in doubt, there's always the 3rd person angle, but framed such that the players face isn't visible. Hard to complain about that usually.

Edit: I personally use a mix of both, and aside from the inital complaints about MC's face (Hasn't come up since I changed it), nobody has ever complained about the switch between 1st and 3rd. It's most likely not the thing people will judge your game on.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Edit: I personally use a mix of both, and aside from the inital complaints about MC's face (Hasn't come up since I changed it), nobody has ever complained about the switch between 1st and 3rd. It's most likely not the thing people will judge your game on.
Probably because you switch frequently enough. This make the game pass from "first point of view" to "centered on the action". As MC, what matter when you talk is the people you talk to, but what matter when you act can be partly what you do, and then the camera have to move to show it.

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
I voted "in first person" because I think it is much more engaging and if the choice is up to me, I would like this option. but I must admit that even in the third person it's not bad :cool:

Beatrix Kiddo

Donor
Aug 25, 2016
I think the best compromise is 3rd, but obscuring the MC's face as much as reasonably possible. LomL comes to mind, but there's probably many other good examples.

Usually I don't care, but there's some MC designs out there that truly put me off.

Scarlet Ashbringer

Game Developer
Nov 22, 2020
I prefer POV but only if I can see my reflexion in the dialogue box, like in Four Elements Trainer. It is very important to be able to follow your character emotion, but it doesn't really matter where it is. It's why never seeing you in Cyberpunk broke my immersion despite being forced in POV while The Witcher 3 was super immersive without POV, because you could track Geralt's emotions

Reactions: godlovesyou

Alboe Interactive

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2020
First person view:
Seeing through the MC's eyes. You wont see the MC's face and only see parts of the players body. But also restrains the different images can be taken.
There is an additional factor to consider regarding first-person POV. That is not having to draw/render the MC in most scenes drastically cuts down on production time.

nulnil

May 18, 2021
First person is always done akwardly, since you have to get the details down way more precisely.

tormented

Jan 31, 2020
There is an additional factor to consider regarding first-person POV. That is not having to draw/render the MC in most scenes drastically cuts down on production time.
True, however the downside of that is you cant really sow different perspectives/angles so when doing dialogue you can only have like a handful of images rather than several images with the same pose of those characters. (speaking about 3D games)

Alboe Interactive

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2020
True, however the downside of that is you cant really sow different perspectives/angles so when doing dialogue you can only have like a handful of images rather than several images with the same pose of those characters. (speaking about 3D games)
It depends on what you value more. You said you are starting work on a game, 1st person POV will save you a lot of time. Most devs will recommend you start small for your first project. I would suggest when making your first scene, do a few images in first person and a few in third person (if using Daz, you can place and render from multiple cameras easily). Gauge how much extra work it would take to make outfits for and pose the MC versus how much more you feel the 3rd person shots add. Hopefully, that should help you determine which one (or a combination thereof) you prefer.

tormented

Jan 31, 2020
It depends on what you value more. You said you are starting work on a game, 1st person POV will save you a lot of time. Most devs will recommend you start small for your first project. I would suggest when making your first scene, do a few images in first person and a few in third person (if using Daz, you can place and render from multiple cameras easily). Gauge how much extra work it would take to make outfits for and pose the MC versus how much more you feel the 3rd person shots add. Hopefully, that should help you determine which one (or a combination thereof) you prefer.
I am using koikatsu the program that is more anime/cartoonish style 3D design. creating clothes is easy, the only thing I have trouble with is the posing/animations. going into first person is easy as well just hitting backspace it puts you into first person on the character you have selected. so I can easily do first or third person POV

I just am unsure if going first person or 3rd person because of what people prefer most. already have the story set up for the first chapter, already have the characters created, working on making the rooms/scenes for all the places. after I have everything finished I will start working on getting the images and movies.

The upside about 1st person is I dont have to do much animation/expressions for the main character, just the other characters around them. but it limits the amount of images that will represent for the scene you are trying to show. where as 3rd person will be more work but I can do more to paint the picture of what I want to show.

That's why I posted this to see what people prefer more even though it's low most people say it doesn't matter where as it's a split between 1st and 3rd so I might just end up flipping from 1st to 3rd for few scenes to get what I want out of it but also keeping the players face out of the scenes to keep those who don't like seeing the persons face happy.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I prefer POV but only if I can see my reflexion in the dialogue box, like in Four Elements Trainer. It is very important to be able to follow your character emotion, but it doesn't really matter where it is. It's why never seeing you in Cyberpunk broke my immersion despite being forced in POV while The Witcher 3 was super immersive without POV, because you could track Geralt's emotions
Well, it's the exact opposite for me.

While I agree that MC's body language and facial expression can be important to follow and understand the story, having those emotions feed to me will totally break my immersion. How am I supposed to self insert if, in the same time, I'm told what I'm supposed to feel ?
Of course it's not always possible, and never totally achievable, especially on a scene like this one, where around two players out of three, and probably one creator out of two, isn't a native English speaker, but showing you if the MC is joking or serious, and/or reacting positively or negatively, should be the job of the dialogs. Then, as player you decide what you feel accordingly to this and what's this emotion intensity.

It's when the MC effectively interact with the other characters, that the third person POV become important. It permit to show what is happening, instead of having to rely on a boring narration telling how hard you dick became because you are groping her ass.