Question about studios in Honey Select and Koikatsu.

ka9920

Jul 19, 2019
Hello guys i want to create game using Renpy but i have a problem with characters and scenes because my modeling skills are quite awful. I downloaded Koikatsu Better Repack and Honey Select Final Repack to see their ingame studios but i dont know is it because its pirated or smth else there is a very limited set of options to create own scenes, i mean i want to create house or atleast room myself but design and list of option for walls and windows in my opinion are quite bad. Do i need to create my own furniture, walls, doors, windows etc in blender and then somehow add them to the game? Or maybe i need to buy game from official source?Thank you for the answers and im sorry if my english is difficult to understand.

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
If you've got the repack then you should have most interior furniture and decorations available to you already, though the repack might have separate downloads for studio mods and game-only mods, so you have that to look out for. As for walls and windows, there are very few mods that provide that for you. If you want specific styles of windows and walls, you're better off making them yourself in blender or in studio using primitive objects like cubes and cylinders. Most people use premade maps and then decorate them with furniture. You'll be sharing the same maps and environments as everyone else who has access to those maps but at least then you won't have to make them yourself.

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
The problem with Honey Select is the maps have no central theme to them, so it's going to be tough trying to establish a solid setting where your story takes place. Koikatsu has the opposite problem, it has a central theme to all of its maps and every map is a different location so you can pretty much display your characters though that area, problem is it is a school, so in koikatsu you're going to have a tough time if you don't want to use a school setting.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
In Koikatsu (pretty sure the same thing happens in HS but I didn't use it yet) you already have a ton of thing with the vanilla version, then BR makes it even more. Even with that, if you have a specific idea for a door/windows and you don't want to conform with the things in the game, you'll have to do it with the basic shapes.

You can do pretty much anything in Koikatsu, but you'll have to work for it, and if you want it to look good then you'll have to work even more.

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
In Koikatsu (pretty sure the same thing happens in HS but I didn't use it yet) you already have a ton of thing with the vanilla version, then BR makes it even more. Even with that, if you have a specific idea for a door/windows and you don't want to conform with the things in the game, you'll have to do it with the basic shapes.

You can do pretty much anything in Koikatsu, but you'll have to work for it, and if you want it to look good then you'll have to work even more.
I noticed your signature, you can add my game(in signature) if you'd like, it's complete and I'm working on it's sequel.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I noticed your signature, you can add my game(in signature) if you'd like, it's complete and I'm working on it's sequel.
It's already in the list, 8th place in the VN section. Since the game's thread doesn't has a Complete tag I will keep it there for now.

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
It's already in the list, 8th place in the VN section. Since the game's thread doesn't has a Complete tag I will keep it there for now.
Kinda expected my game to not draw much attention, I didn't think many people had seen it so I was trying to get the word out.

_tewi

Aug 4, 2020
First of all, the pirated versions are far, far better than vanilla because they come with huge mod packs. I've only played around with Koikatsu, but the BetterRepack gives you thousands of items to play with. Don't use the "add" menu, open the search box and type in "map" for example. You can also try tons of keywords like wall, door, floor, carpet, sky, etc..

A quick way to get gud at Koikatsu's studio is to join the Koikatsu discord and open the scenes people post. Play around with their scenes and take note of the different items they use and tinker with to create pretty much any setting you want.

Reactions: Mimir's Lab