Question about updating games

flash519

May 4, 2018
So i'm kinda new to downloading these games and they're amazing and I have a question about downloading updates for games. Do you delete the previous game file when you download an updated one? I haven't deleted any of the old files because I didn't know if it would affect my saves. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
If you're talking about Ren'py games all the saves will remain even if you delete the game, and they will always appear in future updates (Note: some updates might break your save games because they need a new game start)
On the RPGM games there is a file called .sav (if I'm not mistaken) that you can move to the new folder of the updated game

215303j

So i'm kinda new to downloading these games
Welcome!

Do you delete the previous game file when you download an updated one? I haven't deleted any of the old files because I didn't know if it would affect my saves.
That depends on the game engine.

Many games are made with an engine called Ren'py.
For those games, you can find the savegames in a folder called "c:\XXXgamenameABC\game\saves", where c:\ is the drive letter and XXXgamenameABC the folder for that game.
Ren'py also saves all savegames in the user directory in Windows.
So if you download a new version, you can manually copy your savegames to the new folder, or depend on the savegames in your user directory, unless you regularly clean it (as I do).
After copying the saves, you can delete the older version. Although in some games, the developer makes some drastic choices in the story line, deleting some older content and leaving you to prefer the old version. In that case, you could choose to keep both.

Other games are made with different engines, in that case, the save games may be in a different location.
You can recognise the engine by looking at the colored label to the left of the game name in the forum:

This is an example of a Ren'py game:

flash519

May 4, 2018
Welcome!

That depends on the game engine.

Many games are made with an engine called Ren'py.
For those games, you can find the savegames in a folder called "c:\XXXgamenameABC\game\saves", where c:\ is the drive letter and XXXgamenameABC the folder for that game.
Ren'py also saves all savegames in the user directory in Windows.
So if you download a new version, you can manually copy your savegames to the new folder, or depend on the savegames in your user directory, unless you regularly clean it (as I do).
After copying the saves, you can delete the older version. Although in some games, the developer makes some drastic choices in the story line, deleting some older content and leaving you to prefer the old version. In that case, you could choose to keep both.

Other games are made with different engines, in that case, the save games may be in a different location.
You can recognise the engine by looking at the colored label to the left of the game name in the forum:

This is an example of a Ren'py game:
Thanks for the help!

flash519

May 4, 2018
If you're talking about Ren'py games all the saves will remain even if you delete the game, and they will always appear in future updates (Note: some updates might break your save games because they need a new game start)
On the RPGM games there is a file called .sav (if I'm not mistaken) that you can move to the new folder of the updated game
Thanks and your game looks really good!

Reactions: Kthulian