QUESTION-ADVICE-OPINION on backgrounds?

damookie

Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017
Hello,

I've been interested in developing a game for awhile now and decided to finally do so. Been messing around on daz and made my first model, and wanted to demo her by putting up a nice background and seeing how she looked. Little too old imo, anyways that beside the point.

The real question is, I really like the aesthetic of a cartoonish backdrop, but as the models are 3D i was wondering if it looked weird and out of place. I've been checking out a lot of other games and the ones that use 3d models tend to stick with 3d backgrounds and cartoonish models with cartoonish backgrounds.

Attached is a crappy sample I made.

Does this look weird to you guys? Should i just stick to a 3D background?

P.S - didn't render all the way, due to time constraints. Purpose is to just visualize 3d models with a cartoonish backdrop.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Lucid Intent

Donor
Oct 25, 2017
It does look a little jarring at first - made me think of Toonstruck!

However, the more time I spent looking at it the less odd it became. Perhaps (And this is a spanking big perhaps!) the initial disparity between art styles could wear off over time.

I'd suggest maybe making a 2-3 minute scene and seeing how it turns out. Of course a rollicking good story and likeable/hateable/relatable characters goes a long way towards forgiving styling sins.

damookie

Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017
Thanks for the reply, yeah I agree it does have a Toonstruck/Who framed Roger Rabbit vibe to it. lol

I'll try out a scene as you suggested, as it would probably take very little work to exchange the backgrounds if need be. :)

ReaperMania

Aug 8, 2020
You did fine for a first draft. Trust me, I have seen far worse. I would say the best course of action for it could be rearranging her jaw line a little and adding just a little more *ahem* physical characteristics to her bottom and breasts. But, other then that, not bad :)