Question. Bringing more colour to a render

RN83

Professional Pessimist
Donor
Jun 16, 2018
Been playing with Daz for a while now, but the one thing that still frustrates me is my renders seeming a little dull. I feel they need more colour or light, I don't know.
I mostly do portraits and am pretty happy with them apart from needing a little colour light I think.
But when I try to replicate that indoors it never turns out well.

Attached a couple of images for refference, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can improve i would greatly appreciate it. Feel like I'm going round in circles right now.

Monica_1.png Evelyn_5.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Wings

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
My answer is photoshop, here is a quick exemple :

Left is original from daz, right one is after some photoshop.

Lequelff.png

Good luck !

Reactions: RN83

RN83

Professional Pessimist
Donor
Jun 16, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Oh wow, the difference is quite noticable! What did you adjust to get it looking like that?

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
Well, I'm learning photoshop for quite a while now, there is no "Magic" thing to adjust :D.

There is a lot of tutorial on youtube about enhancing photo, for me it was a good place to learn !

RN83

Professional Pessimist
Donor
Jun 16, 2018
Well, this is what I ended up with after playing with some ghost lights and the temps and colours. Then a little work in photoshop, nothing special but I think its it's an improvement.
Evelyn_6.jpg

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018

Oh wow, the difference is quite noticable! What did you adjust to get it looking like that?
My three basic Photoshop tips

All found under image adjustments

Simply add more brightness, if it looks a bit washed out try ticking the legacy box

Levels. The top slider. One side will make it darker while preserving light and the other side vice versa

Colour balance. Adding red will make the image warmer. Can make it too red too so it either works or it won't.

Abîme

Sep 27, 2018
In the render setting in daz, tone mapping, you have everything you need, for adjusting the color, exposure, ect...........just need some experiment first.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: rKnight and RN83

thengineer

Moonlight Sins
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
As everyone else said, photoshop is a great tool, it won't save a bad render but it'll make an average one look good!
Here's a render I've just done:
atticHannah.png
The lighting is certainly a bit flat. Here it is after photoshop:
atticHannah.png
Much better, in my opinion. I usually have 2 separate selections (or more): the background and the model. I'll also often select the eyes and the hair, like I did for this one. After that, it's just image adjustments.
As for tone mapping, I don't use it as much anymore, since it does essentially the same as photoshop, except you have a lot more control with photoshop. You can use it if you don't wanna bother with photoshop, though.

Reactions: mickydoo and RN83

RN83

Professional Pessimist
Donor
Jun 16, 2018
Thanks everyone for your help, did a little more fiddling, this time with tone mapping and a little work in PS. I think I made the light from the TV stand out more, again think another step in the right direction. Still a long way to go compared to all your work though
Evelyn_8.jpg

Reactions: thengineer

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
Another thing, I think that you need to learn a bit more about light, it can really make a render less flat. Blender Guru have very nice videos about light in blender, but the principle work the same in daz !

RN83

Professional Pessimist
Donor
Jun 16, 2018
Put all your advice into practice and this is the result, thank you all again, really happy how this ended up, still more to work on, and again more progress :) Monica_5.jpg

Reactions: Cul and KlodowWW

RN83

Professional Pessimist
Donor
Jun 16, 2018
So, i regret not using PS more before, been playing around all day. And tried making a vintage type postcard with a render i wernt happy with, think it turned out ok? better than a deleated render anyway :)

Rachel&MC_1-1.jpg

RN83

Professional Pessimist
Donor
Jun 16, 2018
Going to leave one last post here, as a reminder to myself and to anyone else who finds them selves a little lost and confused, stay patient and listen to the advice of all the very kind and helpfull people out there, things can change :)

Jen_MC_photo_1_3.jpg

P.S still room to improve though ;)

Reactions: KlodowWW