Question for Game developers ?

DarknessDai

Mar 23, 2019
how to Reduce the time in developing your games ? i mean is there way to make the developing time for games take less time ? is it possible ? game should take 1 year but if we provide the X it takes 3 months now or its impossible to achieve , is it connected to the hardware you have or its about ur free time ?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] game should take 1 year but if we provide the X it takes 3 months now or its impossible to achieve , is it connected to the hardware you have or its about ur free time ?
There's many possible answer behind this kind of affirmations. Among them there's :
  • With this money I can pay for a cloud based rendering solution and will need 5 minutes to render CG that need 2hours with my computer ;
  • With this money I can pay someone to write the code, which will give me more time for the CG and/or writing ;
  • With this money I can quit my job and works full time on the game.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
There's many possible answer behind this kind of affirmations. Among them there's :
  • With this money I can pay for a cloud based rendering solution and will need 5 minutes to render CG that need 2hours with my computer ;
  • With this money I can pay someone to write the code, which will give me more time for the CG and/or writing ;
  • With this money I can quit my job and works full time on the game.
Can probably add a lot of variables to this...

- Studying and school eating up all spare time.
- Wife and kids driving you crazy, no time to work on your hobby.
- Change of life situation and loosing motivation with the project.

and a whole not of other things.

Melolibya There is no rule that a game should take one year though. A project take the time it take.

Reactions: DarknessDai

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I don't work, the most renders I can do in a day timewise is 10, I get about 200 renders per month at the best of times which is an average of 6.6 a day. The rest of the time is coding/writing, fucking up, can't be bothered, have something better to do, have something I have to do, thinking, plotting or fapping.

My hardware is pretty good, I can set up scenes pretty quick, yet 10 a day is the limit, as I don't sit here all day doing it, 10 is enough for me I get sick of it.

What I mean is, an average guy with a pretty good rig with nothing else to do, can only do so much for various reasons.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
If you can get a team of Multiple posers that can stay in the same style that would be huge and a great render server for them to send there work to and maybe someone to manage and QC the render queue. a good writer and a coder or two then yah you could do it. But that's a lot of payroll. Monthly updates have become unrealistic now as too many have burned out from that pace.

Reactions: Domiek

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I'm not the best example of rapid development as I released version 0.1 in October and I'm still working on 0.2.
It's just my hobby project.
But one of the tricks that saves time when you use Daz Studio and hardware limits you is a spot render.

For example, if only the facial expression changes, you don't have to do the whole render again.
You make a spot render of a small part of the scene and insert the spot render into the original render, for example in GIMP.

A small spot render is noticeably faster than a render of the whole scene.

Last edited:

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Upgrading your hardware reduces render time. At a certain point you will spend more time posing/setting up a scene than actually rendering.

Actual career/personal commitments take up development time. There is a hard limit on possible dev hours spent by one person, meaning doing a year old project in 3 months would be impossible even if you nothing but work, shit, sleep.

Best way to speed up game dev would be to form small studios, which would need substantial financial backing in the first place in order to hire artists/coder.

These are big steps which is why you're left with the standard 1-2 years for a game by a single dev.

vneotpolemus

Sep 22, 2019
Sadly the problem with teams is currently being demonstrated over at Where The Heart Is - when one member drops out everything grinds to a halt.