Question from a newbie, yes

Jokr_

Feb 23, 2020
Hello folks,

Apologies if this question has been asked here several times, but hey we all have questions at some point of life. Life is about discovering new things, so I hope this question doesn't trigger anyone.

I was planning to enter into this world of creating visual novels. I am a developer by profession but I have no idea or much knowledge about designing stuff. How do people create renders? I know the first answer would be photoshop, but what I wanna know is how do you guys create the "models" or "character" renders and the different "poses" that the character does on the images.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

:)

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
First and foremost, there's a few programs that can help one get started. The most popular options, however, are the free ones. and . I'd recommend starting with Daz as it's more beginner friendly in the sense of posing and making a scene while Blender certainly excels with animations, though it's possible to create a full VN/game via Blender renders. Photoshop has little to do with actual renders, but a lot to do with postwork which is more or less editing/adding effects after the render has finished.

With Daz, you'll have a (just as an example). You can get , , , and many different from the or via 'other' means. Along with Renderotica, Renderosity, and sometimes ShareCG if you know what to look for. Then in Daz, you can either pose the model yourself or . That's where it stops being so easy, though.

Learning how to frame/angle the camera and lighting are tricky as well. You can certainly go deeper with Daz (geometry editing, etc.), but I've never personally found the need to. I'd recommend looking into , , , and perhaps . If you want to get deeper than those, then payiing for tutorials (Val Cameron/Dreamlight is someone I would recommend for purely lighting.) might be the way to go.

Hope that helps, I'll try to answer what I can if you have any more questions (assuming someone else doesn't.). :)

Jokr_

Feb 23, 2020
First and foremost, there's a few programs that can help one get started. The most popular options, however, are the free ones. and . I'd recommend starting with Daz as it's more beginner friendly in the sense of posing and making a scene while Blender certainly excels with animations, though it's possible to create a full VN/game via Blender renders. Photoshop has little to do with actual renders, but a lot to do with postwork which is more or less editing/adding effects after the render has finished.

With Daz, you'll have a (just as an example). You can get , , , and many different from the or via 'other' means. Along with Renderotica, Renderosity, and sometimes ShareCG if you know what to look for. Then in Daz, you can either pose the model yourself or . That's where it stops being so easy, though.

Learning how to frame/angle the camera and lighting are tricky as well. You can certainly go deeper with Daz (geometry editing, etc.), but I've never personally found the need to. I'd recommend looking into , , , and perhaps . If you want to get deeper than those, then payiing for tutorials (Val Cameron/Dreamlight is someone I would recommend for purely lighting.) might be the way to go.

Hope that helps, I'll try to answer what I can if you have any more questions (assuming someone else doesn't.). :)
Thank you so much for explaining it in so much detail.

Reactions: MissFortune