[Question] Possibility to Change save location of Screenshots [SOLVED]

epikphail

Feb 28, 2019
Hello everyone
I have a question which i scoured the internet for an answer but came up empty, is it possible to change the Ren'py Screenshot save Location to a different folder? I would like to have for example Screenshots to be Saved into a new subfolder of a games "Game" folder Called "screenshots".

Also is it possible to do this so each renpy game saves to their own respective "screenshot" subfolder, and not dump all pics into one folder

Thanks a bunch

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
is it possible to change the Ren'py Screenshot save Location to a different folder? I would like to have for example Screenshots to be Saved into a new subfolder of a games "Game" folder Called "screenshots".
The attached file should do what you want. Just put it into the game's "game" folder before launching the game and press 'S' to make a screenshot.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: epikphail

Dan5k74

Oct 6, 2017
The attached file should do what you want. Just put it into the game's "game" folder before launching the game and press 'S' to make a screenshot.

Although off-topic, I too have a small technical question about screenshots of Ren'Py games. Is there a way to change the format in which screenshots are saved in the game? I'd like to switch from the default .png format to a lighter (and faster loading) .jpg format. I've searched the forum a bit, but haven't found anything that would accommodate this request. Thanks in advance to anyone who can solve this little need of mine.

Ifartedtoolong

Feb 27, 2022
screenshots
Screenpresso which is free screen grabber that you can set to .PNG .JPG .GIF .BMP .TIF under settings. When you select screenshot region for a renpy game it'll screenshot the whole game page then in the editor you can edit each one to crop out anything you want if needed or leave them as is.

Reactions: Dan5k74
Nov 27, 2018
Using a dedicated screenshot software as Ifartedtoolong suggested would be better ( is another popular one), but if you need it, throw the attached file into GAMENAME\game directory.

Or you can change the .png to .jpg in "screenshot%04d.png" inside the GAMENAME\renpy\common\00keymap.rpy file.

I just copied the relevant code part from that file and raised the initialization time a bit; shouldn't break anything.
Python:
init -1500 python:
    import os
    config.screenshot_pattern = os.environ.get(b"RENPY_SCREENSHOT_PATTERN", b"screenshot%04d.jpg")
    del os
I haven't checked if it affects the savegame thumbnails if you want to squeeze a few more kilobytes out of them.