Question RE: Cutting Daz Render times...

Jan 14, 2023
So my render times are ridiculous, even though I have a damn good card. I have this environment that's actually two environments because the living room and dining room are two different assets. Add multiple characters and lights and it's a matter of hours to render.

I heard that hiding or taking out as many objects in the environment as possible that aren't involved in the render speeds things up?

Is just making them invisible in the viewport the way to do it? Or do I need to delete them entirely before I render?

Also, do I need to delete unused things entirely from my characters or is just having them hidden sufficient? (For example, I have characters with multiple outfits and hairstyles hidden.)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
DAZ doesn't use your GPU if your scene gets to big. The scene needs to fit in your GPU's VRAM, if it doesn't it uses your CPU instead which is extremely slow. Sounds like that's what your running into with several hours rendering time.

Reducing the amount of objects in the scene would definitely help. One common way to do this, is rendering the environment and characters separately.

Don't know about needing to delete stuff you don't use. DAZ is horrible optimized from my (somewhat limited) experience so wouldn't be surprised if it still loaded them into the VRAM while not even being in the render.

Or your using an ADM card, which aren't supported by DAZ.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
So my render times are ridiculous, even though I have a damn good card
What is the 'damn good card'? 3080? 3090? 4090? It doesn't matter how good the card is if the VRAM isn't up to snuff. Also, make sure your CPU fallback is unchecked.

And as mentioned, if it's an AMD card, you're shit out of luck. Nvidia owns the creative market (for good reason), AMD more or less doesn't care about anyone but gamers as far as their GPUs go.

Also, do I need to delete unused things entirely from my characters or is just having them hidden sufficient? (For example, I have characters with multiple outfits and hairstyles hidden.)
From what I know, Daz loads the information even if the asset is hidden, but it doesn't render the geometry. So, pre-render times might stay the same, but it'll speed up renders. By how much? It's highly dependent on the scenes themselves, but it's often not very much.

Jan 14, 2023
What is the 'damn good card'? 3080? 3090? 4090? It doesn't matter how good the card is if the VRAM isn't up to snuff. Also, make sure your CPU fallback is unchecked.

And as mentioned, if it's an AMD card, you're shit out of luck. Nvidia owns the creative market (for good reason), AMD more or less doesn't care about anyone but gamers as far as their GPUs go.

From what I know, Daz loads the information even if the asset is hidden, but it doesn't render the geometry. So, pre-render times might stay the same, but it'll speed up renders. By how much? It's highly dependent on the scenes themselves, but it's often not very much.

Jan 14, 2023
DAZ doesn't use your GPU if your scene gets to big. The scene needs to fit in your GPU's VRAM, if it doesn't it uses your CPU instead which is extremely slow. Sounds like that's what your running into with several hours rendering time.

Reducing the amount of objects in the scene would definitely help. One common way to do this, is rendering the environment and characters separately.

Don't know about needing to delete stuff you don't use. DAZ is horrible optimized from my (somewhat limited) experience so wouldn't be surprised if it still loaded them into the VRAM while not even being in the render.

Or your using an ADM card, which aren't supported by DAZ.
I actually figured it out. Hide everything that isn't part of the scene. Hopefully one of the kits I bought will do that, but for now the easy way to do it is to hide everything you can't see and has no effect on the shoot.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Yeah, speaking as someone who was working with 3080 until recently, the 10GB of VRAM is a killer a lot of the time. Especially with anything more than 2 8.1 figures. Which becomes even harder if you're rendering in 4K. Scene Optimizer might be worth a look.

Jan 14, 2023
Yeah, speaking as someone who was working with 3080 until recently, the 10GB of VRAM is a killer a lot of the time. Especially with anything more than 2 8.1 figures. Which becomes even harder if you're rendering in 4K. Scene Optimizer might be worth a look.
Yeah I'm looking into that. I've had some success with using a culling camera, but it's still inconsistent as far as render times in the same scene. One render takes like 10 minutes and another takes an hour and a half for some reason. Same scene, same objects. It's weird.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Yeah I'm looking into that. I've had some success with using a culling camera, but it's still inconsistent as far as render times in the same scene. One render takes like 10 minutes and another takes an hour and a half for some reason. Same scene, same objects. It's weird.
There's got to be something pretty significant being changed if you're seeing an hour-plus difference between renders, though.

I wonder if you're seeing a CPU fallback after the initial render due the memory leak(s) by Daz. Do you have it unchecked?

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
No I've got it checked.
That's probably your issue, then. Daz has had a long standing issue with memory leaks, which is likely what's causing the CPU fallback here. If it were unchecked, and the scene didn't fit within the VRAM, it'd return a black screen instead of a render, which is a far faster way of letting you know that you either A) need to restart Daz or B) condense the scene to make it fit within the VRAM.

Make sure you uncheck all three boxes and then restart Daz. Unless you need to/prefer to render with CPU:

fallback.png