Questions about VN genre

Urelsor

Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
this might be a stupid question but I noticed a lot of games here have the VN tag. (If this question has been asked before, I'd appreciate if you could point me there)
Now my questions is, are there different kinds of VNs? In my mind VNs are there games where you can't roam around. You go from scene to scene and your only "freedom" are choices in dialogs which may or may not have a big impact on the game.
But what about games like Milfy City, Summertime Saga, Big Brother, Foot of the Mountain etc. Even though these games often also don't really have gameplay except, go there at 10am, there at 2pm, grind stats util xx points then talk to her etc. Are these kind of games alos considered VNs or do they have an own genre?
I really don't like classic VN type of games and find the freedom to roam around and do certain characters in my prefered order way more enjoyable. But only based on preview screens it's sometimes hard to find the kinda games I like.

Best regards

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
In my mind VNs are there games where you can't roam around. You go from scene to scene and your only "freedom" are choices in dialogs which may or may not have a big impact on the game.
In theory, you are right, that's what a "VN" is. The problem here is that a lot of people (myself included) got used to call VN to everything done in Ren'Py, which is stupid because Ren'Py games already have their own tag and Unity games, HTML games and others can be VN as well.