Questions for other developers (from a new developer)

valkaree99

Game Developer
Sep 7, 2022
Just published my first game and I'm pretty new to F95, I'm learning things as I go but it looks like there's a lot more to this sight than I originally thought. Would love to get other developer's feedback on some questions I had:

- How do I update my game thread, and any limits on what I can update? Per the guidelines, it looks like I need to 'report' the thread with the requested changes. That worked for some things like adding tags, but my report was rejected when I asked to add some text to the developer notes ("please see first reply in this thread for more details from the developer"). Just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly

- There was a lot of activity the day the thread went live, but it's dropped off since. What are the best ways to drive more attention to the game?

- When I have the thread updated with a new version of the game, does the thread rise to the top of the list in the Games forum? Obviously this would be a good way to get people's attention again.

I have some other questions but will start with these for now, thanks for any thoughts.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Just published my first game and I'm pretty new to F95, I'm learning things as I go but it looks like there's a lot more to this sight than I originally thought. Would love to get other developer's feedback on some questions I had:

- How do I update my game thread, and any limits on what I can update? Per the guidelines, it looks like I need to 'report' the thread with the requested changes. That worked for some things like adding tags, but my report was rejected when I asked to add some text to the developer notes ("please see first reply in this thread for more details from the developer"). Just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly
They probably shouldn't have rejected it but sometimes do if they get too many reports in a short period of time

- There was a lot of activity the day the thread went live, but it's dropped off since. What are the best ways to drive more attention to the game?
One, and this is the most important, keep making the game and posting regular updates. Other than that you could create some sigs for it, add then to your own (make sure it's linked to the game's thread if you do) and post in other threads to make yourself more visible.

Make a discord and Patreon (based on the tags, better make that subscribestar) and post there too

Tell the truth, don't over-promise and don't repeatedly miss deadlines and make excuses. Give a release date only when you know it's ready (by all means wait 2 weeks afterwards to get a head start on the next update)

- When I have the thread updated with a new version of the game, does the thread rise to the top of the list in the Games forum? Obviously this would be a good way to get people's attention again.
Yes but not if you abuse it, posting a new version obviously will, posting a comprehensive bugfix after a week probably will, posting 10 minor bugfixed versions over 10 days will not

I have some other questions but will start with these for now, thanks for any thoughts.

Reactions: c3p0 and valkaree99

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
F95Zone had/has a shortage of uploaders so for such minor tasks, it would be more efficient for everyone if you requested ownership over your game's thread through a ticket.
Once you have ownership over your thread, you can edit/add/change information freely, but you will not be allowed to remove links or remove existing tags (This part will be explained to you once you request the thread's ownership).

Update frequently to push your game back to the latest updates, and thus get more visibility.
If I recall correctly, you can update your game weekly, but even monthly would be fine. Also, do not rely only on F95Zone's visibility.

Also, someone once suggested me something very obvious... Put a signature of your game. That helps too!

Yes, with a minimum of 1 week apart from the previous update, and a maximum of 4 times a month if I recall the rules correctly.
So, if you are just starting out, weekly updates would be nice if you can manage it, otherwise go for monthly.

valkaree99

Game Developer
Sep 7, 2022
Make a discord and Patreon (based on the tags, better make that subscribestar) and post there too
Thanks! What's the benefit of discord and patreon? I thought discord was to chat with others re: my game, but can't i do that with my f95 thread?

As for patreon, I wasn't planning on charging for my game or asking for monetary support. But part of the reason for that was because I want to be anonymous and I assumed patreon required credit card or similar info that tied my identity to the project. Can I setup a patreon acct without disclosing my identity? And if don't plan to charge for my game, is there any other benefit to patreon?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Thanks! What's the benefit of discord and patreon? I thought discord was to chat with others re: my game, but can't i do that with my f95 thread?
A discord server allows you to gather a community from all over, not just F95, and be up to date with your game or discuss it without being as dispersive as a game thread can be. You cannot chat in a game's thread either.
You can also make announcements about a new release, or show previews, and whoever is interested in your game will get notified.

As for patreon, I wasn't planning on charging for my game or asking for monetary support. But part of the reason for that was because I want to be anonymous and I assumed patreon required credit card or similar info that tied my identity to the project. Can I setup a patreon acct without disclosing my identity? And if don't plan to charge for my game, is there any other benefit to patreon?
You need to give your whole soul and body when it comes to money.
However, all sensitive information are of course between you and Patreon, and those cannot be shared.

You do not actually need to give your credit card info though.

There are no other benefits to patreon, it is basically a way for fans to fund the project so you can use the money to buy assets or hire people. If you can do so with your own money like a hobby or something, then it's completely unnecessary.

Reactions: valkaree99

valkaree99

Game Developer
Sep 7, 2022
F95Zone had/has a shortage of uploaders so for such minor tasks, it would be more efficient for everyone if you requested ownership over your game's thread through a ticket.
Once you have ownership over your thread, you can edit/add/change information freely, but you will not be allowed to remove links or remove existing tags (This part will be explained to you once you request the thread's ownership).

Also, someone once suggested me something very obvious... Put a signature of your game. That helps too!
Thanks!

Ok so I obviously didn't understand the guidelines. I have ownership but I thought I would still need to submit a report for changes, but I just tried and turns out I can edit the thread for everything except download links. Well that's hella lot easier.

Re: the sig, I have this one (below) but the only option I had to add an image was to provide a URL, so I'd have to host it somewhere. How did you add an image to your sig?

valkaree99

Game Developer
Sep 7, 2022
A discord server allows you to gather a community from all over, not just F95, and be up to date with your game or discuss it without being as dispersive as a game thread can be. You cannot chat in a game's thread either.
You can also make announcements about a new release, or show previews, and whoever is interested in your game will get notified.
That's what I want at this point, a community that can provide feedback on the game so I can improve it. Where else can I gather such a community, and any tips on that? Do I just create a discord acct and point people there on my game thread? There were a few interested folks on the game thread but I'm guessing most just want to play a game undisturbed and are not looking to invest much time in specific games.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Thanks!

Ok so I obviously didn't understand the guidelines. I have ownership but I thought I would still need to submit a report for changes, but I just tried and turns out I can edit the thread for everything except download links. Well that's hella lot easier.

Re: the sig, I have this one (below) but the only option I had to add an image was to provide a URL, so I'd have to host it somewhere. How did you add an image to your sig?
I have used the same link of the Game's thread cover because I do not have an actual sig, but the concept is the same... Post your sig here: https://f95zone.to/threads/post-your-signatures-here.17387/ and then use its url. F95Zone doesn't allow other image hosts unless something has changed recently.

That's what I want at this point, a community that can provide feedback on the game so I can improve it. Where else can I gather such a community, and any tips on that? Do I just create a discord acct and point people there on my game thread? There were a few interested folks on the game thread but I'm guessing most just want to play a game undisturbed and are not looking to invest much time in specific games.
You create a Discord Account, then create a server.
Watch a few tutorials on youtube on how to use it, then you should know how to manage your server and create an invite to share to other people.

Reactions: valkaree99