Questions of a possible animator

May 31, 2018
I’m looking into making animations, but I have questions- I can’t afford to put in the time making animations if I can’t make at least decent pocket change.

How long would you prefer videos? Are we talking short, gif length loops? 3 minute vids like BulgingSenpai? Longer?

I’m not a model maker, and whether I choose Blender or SFM I’ll be limited- do I need to pull a large variety of characters, and if so, do you prefer them acting “canon”?

Does it matter if I can’t get the outfits of the characters?

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I can’t afford to put in the time making animations if I can’t make at least decent pocket change
If you have no established portfolio of work, you won't make "decent pocket change" for a long period of time unless you're very lucky.

All the other questions are moot if you are unwilling to produce for an unknown period of time without much financial return.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If you are a new dev and don't have the skill you should make a game without animations first.

Use static images and short sequences to depict movement much like comics and manga do, there is a lot you can do without relying on animations.

May 31, 2018
If you have no established portfolio of work, you won't make "decent pocket change" for a long period of time unless you're very lucky.

All the other questions are moot if you are unwilling to produce for an unknown period of time without much financial return.
I’m aware of that, the question is putting in the amount of time to get a following if it’s all for nothing.

And Meaning Less, I’m not making a game.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
If you are a new dev and don't have the skill you should make a game without animations first.
OP isn't talking about a game. He's talking about those 3D Animations you see from SFM and of the like. Stuff like or this.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I’m aware of that, the question is putting in the amount of time to get a following if it’s all for nothing.

And Meaning Less, I’m not making a game.
And what I am saying is that you should assume you will never get a following, or a very small following at best - and if you still have the passion to create, you should do it.

From the impression I am getting while reading your OP, your education/experience in visual arts and animation is little to none. If you do have an adequate amount, you could apply with an established business or company where you could have a steady income and benefits from your work.

Based upon the assumption you are starting from square one - you will need to find motivation within yourself, either from your passion for animation or your commitment to learning animation. Otherwise you are going to find yourself very frustrated, very quickly - and it can take a long time to become good in animation, even should you have a strong visual art background.

Everything else is secondary to the primary question: are you willing to do this for years for possibly no compensation - or if compensated, it amounting to pennies for each hour of your time invested?

There is a reason why many artists have full-time jobs to pay for their passion of creating art.