Questiosn concerning file sizes

StephanieD

Jan 16, 2023
I have a couple of questions on my mind regarding file size.

1. Is there any general rule of telling how many minutes or hours of game play you get by the size of the file you download?
I downloaded a certain game earlier that was 1.45 gb and it was 30 mins max, while some posts will say this is a short
novel or something to that effect they don't always do, so I was wondering if there is a method of having an idea of how
long a game is based on gb size?

2. I don't guess there is a way to search f95zone by file size? Like if you were looking for 7 Gb or 10 GB games? etc.
or any other specific file size..........

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
1. Is there any general rule of telling how many minutes or hours of game play you get by the size of the file you download?
I downloaded a certain game earlier that was 1.45 gb and it was 30 mins max, while some posts will say this is a short
novel or something to that effect they don't always do, so I was wondering if there is a method of having an idea of how
long a game is based on gb size?
Not really. A short game can be over 1GB with uncompressed/unconverted PNG files. Whereas a really long game can be under 1GB and have a few thousand renders with heavier compression.

I mean, for example, my upcoming VN has nearly 1100 4K renders. They're all currently uncompressed right now, leaving it at around nearly 9GB. Nearly 9.5GB if I include what I've already rendered of 0.2 of it. Converted to WebP and downscaled to 1080 is going to drop that considerably. Issue is that a lot of newer developers are often not aware of stuff like this until they finally release the VN/game/etc.

So, while you may be able to gauge the length of a game/VN with its file size, it's hardly to go always be accurate or consistent. Unless you know beforehand if the game/VN was compressed/converted to WebP.

2. I don't guess there is a way to search f95zone by file size? Like if you were looking for 7 Gb or 10 GB games? etc.
or any other specific file size..........
As most games are hosted on external websites and/or torrents, it'd be hard to get working on the forum unless they made it a rule to list the file size on the OP on each update, or something of that nature. And that would still be inconsistent in and of itself.

StephanieD

Jan 16, 2023
[[[ I mean, for example, my upcoming VN has nearly 1100 4K renders. ]]]

So what will your upcoming VN with nearly 1100 renders be called? So
I can check it out when it comes out....

CharlesJokad

Jun 14, 2022
I don't think the length of the game's playtime is related to its file size.
Once played a game called eratoho, which was a text-based adventure game with only 40MB file size, but I spent hundreds of hours playing it.
However, games with extremely large file sizes are usually not feasible for small game studios to develop, and games developed by large studios often have a certain game length to cater to the market.
So, it can be said that larger game files usually have longer gameplay duration, although it may not be a linear trend, and there will also be exceptions.

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
Judging based on file size alone isn't ideal as mentioned above. Additionally, there is no exact science method for what your looking for. That said, I generally look at multiple variables. While again, isn't perfect and isn't 100% accurate, I find that it does help 90% of the time.

• File size
  • Version number
  • Tags
  • Art style
  • (For new games) Number of views and likes on a page