Racial Diversity in Adult Games

2.30 star(s) 7 Votes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterfire

Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
To be more accurate, Americans were one of the first ones to stop using the term "Negro" because it was used in an offensive way.

For neolatin countries it took a while longer since that term meant black, after all, it was originated as a not offensive word but language evolves, it comes from a time when people theorized "black" was a race!

In general, from my everyday prospective, the correct way to refer to people is by their ethnicity... Calling someone "black" or "white" would be like referring to someone's race in a fantasy game (ex. "Shut up, elf.") Not so offensive to be called elf if you are an elf but you can denote an aggressive/offensive reaction even without hearing the tonality in which that sentence is said.

carnalcardinal

First of Her Name,Cuckquean of the Andes+Best Men
Game Developer
Jr. Uploader
Jul 28, 2017
Sorry, I don't understand. Whether or not you understand the logical objection that white people have to more calls for diversity, I don't see the contrast that you wanted to draw with degrading black people as a fetish. Diversity is a hot button issue (and a distressing one for everyone), but why are you using it as a wild jab?
I understand the 'logical objection' to diversity, white people want to be represented. They are.

So technically, people wanting to see more Asians, Africans, Indians, Hispanics, Native Americans, etcetera, in games means less white people. If this upsets you, that is your problem.

@random.guy The word is barely not racist, but he wants that content on a different kind site like 'furry' and 'incest' content. But both are here, and plenty of it. So yes, dumb and racist comment. I won't apologize for calling it out. Skin tone is a link for some people, but having to be on a separate site? :unsure:

Nov 10, 2017
Get educated it is not just an American thing, I am not American and I do not live in America. I am White and I find the word you are using offensive. If you want I can take you around places in London for example and you can use that word and see if you make it out alive.
Are the Brits executing people for hate speech now? J/K, but I thought we were being careful with our words. I still don't see anyone explaining why there are terms that are better to use. Or, is it supposed to be obvious that we should use terms that are as vague as possible? I guess the UK media is correct that the best and most complete description of the perpetrators of jihad-inspired crimes is Asian.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
To be more accurate, Americans were one of the first ones to stop using the term "Negro" because it was used in an offensive way.

For neolatin countries it took a while longer since that term meant black, after all, it was originated as a not offensive word but language evolves, it comes from a time when people theorized "black" was a race!

In general, from my everyday prospective, the correct way to refer to people is by their ethnicity... Calling someone "black" or "white" would be like referring to someone's race in a fantasy game (ex. "Shut up, elf.") Not so offensive to be called elf if you are an elf but you can denote an aggressive/offensive reaction even without hearing the tonality in which that sentence is said.
just a quick off-topic correction, while for you example elf works, elves are a species not a race. i.e. elf / human / dwarf etc and like with humans they have different races e.g. high elf / dark elf / wood elf etc while they do identify with and are seperated by their home areas like woods and forests etc it is also their social and cultural uniqueness that set them apart.

carnalcardinal

Game Developer
Jr. Uploader
Jul 28, 2017
just a quick off-topic correction, while for you example elf works, elves are a species not a race. i.e. elf / human / dwarf etc and like with humans they have different races e.g. high elf / dark elf / wood elf etc while do identify with and are seperated by their home areas like woods and forests etc it is also their social and cultural uniqueness that set them apart.
Shut up, human. :p

Winterfire

Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
just a quick off-topic correction, while for you example elf works, elves are a species not a race. i.e. elf / human / dwarf etc and like with humans they have different races e.g. high elf / dark elf / wood elf etc while do identify with and are seperated by their home areas like woods and forests etc it is also their social and cultural uniqueness that set them apart.
On D&D "Elf" is a race, source:

That's what I was thinking about when I thought of that example, just yesterday a NPC told me "Shut up, elf" (+ other things I cannot remember) on Baldur's Gate 2, gotta love that game, so many interactions compared to the first entry.

random.guy

Aug 11, 2017
I understand the 'logical objection' to diversity, white people want to be represented. They are.

So technically, people wanting to see more Asians, Africans, Indians, Hispanics, Native Americans, etcetera, in games means less white people. If this upsets you, that is your problem.

@random.guy The word is barely not racist, but he wants that content on a different kind site like 'furry' and 'incest' content. But both are here, and plenty of it. So yes, dumb and racist comment. I won't apologize for calling it out. Skin tone is a link for some people, but having to be on a separate site? :unsure:
I didn't interpret the message that way. I read it as "if you think there are enough people interested in black MCs, either find them or start building a community around it", but not as a proposal of segregating that kind of content to different sites. I think it was meant more along the lines of "put your money/effort where your mouth is at", that is to say doing stuff like working on such projects on a Patreon page.
The references to places specialized in minoritarian kinks like furry fantasies was just to drive home the point that one can't demand the general public to change tastes but there still will be places for that kind of content. That doesn't imply f95 is not a place for all kinds of content.
This, at least, is how I read the quoted message. I might be wrong.
In the case I'm mistaken though I would just disagree on the merit of the assertion, not jump to the conclusion the person's a racist white suprematist.

Papa Lazarou

Mar 25, 2018
Are the Brits executing people for hate speech now? J/K, but I thought we were being careful with our words. I still don't see anyone explaining why there are terms that are better to use. Or, is it supposed to be obvious that we should use terms that are as vague as possible? I guess the UK media is correct that the best and most complete description of the perpetrators of jihad-inspired crimes is Asian.
Well what is wrong with African, Caribbean, Asian, etc............ As for Brits executing for hate speech, the places I could take you to you could get killed for less.

Akamari

May 28, 2017
just a quick off-topic correction, while for you example elf works, elves are a species not a race. i.e. elf / human / dwarf etc and like with humans they have different races e.g. high elf / dark elf / wood elf etc while they do identify with and are seperated by their home areas like woods and forests etc it is also their social and cultural uniqueness that set them apart.
What you are describing are subraces. Race in fantasy equals species. I don't think I've ever played a fantasy game that would tell me "Choose your species":)

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
On D&D "Elf" is a race, source:

That's what I was thinking about when I thought of that example, just yesterday a NPC told me "Shut up, elf" (+ other things I cannot remember) on Baldur's Gate 2, gotta love that game, so many interactions compared to the first entry.
sorry off-topic again :LOL: you are correct and many other games also have lore that place elves as a race, you are also correct you have to love Baldur's gate and pretty much all of forgotten realms and dragon lance.
Also have you tried planescape: torment? it is a true classic try original before enhanced if you haven't :D

Winterfire

Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
sorry off-topic again :LOL: you are correct and many other games also have lore that place elves as a race, you are also correct you have to love Baldur's gate and pretty much all of forgotten realms and dragon lance.
Also have you tried planescape: torment? it is a true classic try original before enhanced if you haven't :D
I am crazy for those games.
I wish games like those were still made :cry:

random.guy

Aug 11, 2017
Well what is wrong with African, Caribbean, Asian, etc............ As for Brits executing for hate speech, the places I could take you to you could get killed for less.
I always knew that courteous look of britishmen was just a facade.
You still are the uncultured barbarians you were when Romans set food on those islands! /jk

Akamari

May 28, 2017
Nordom: “Attention: Morte. I have a question. Do you have a destiny? A purpose?”
Morte: “Is Annah still wearing clothes?”
Nordom: “Affirmatory.”
Morte: “Then the answer is yes.”

Wish we had more characters like that floating skull.:)

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
Nordom: “Attention: Morte. I have a question. Do you have a destiny? A purpose?”
Morte: “Is Annah still wearing clothes?”
Nordom: “Affirmatory.”
Morte: “Then the answer is yes.”

Wish we had more characters like that floating skull.:)
Annah my first true love :love: that game took me form pen and paper / tabletop to pc rpg's forever
morte was awesome too although i wanted to slap him too many time to count lol

Snugglepuff

Apr 27, 2017
But to be fair to Tilda Swinton, her character wasn't asian tho. Her character was a celt.
Both the gender and ethnicity of The Ancient One was changed for the movie.
The Ancient One was a Tibetan man. Tibetan, as in, from Tibet. That's a major politically based change right there, and purely to appease the good ol' "People's" Republic of China.

@Snugglepuff If I am being selective about, it's not consciously. But I do notice a lot more outrage online when it's a character changed to non-white rather than the other way around.
That's because there's more media coverage of that, than there is of when it's the other way round.
As "conspiracy theory" as it sounds, that's on purpose.

And to be clear, I'm not in favour of either of those. I don't need and didn't ask for a Miles Morales Spiderman.
Whilst initially he was created, basically, to have a non-white Spiderman, he at least is an original character that's not "black Peter Parker". He's a prime example of how to do diverse representation right.

But we have to agree that non-white people just simply don't get represented in the media, and here, like white people do. We can argue all day, but that is simply a fact.
Non-whites do get representation in media, just not to the same extent, and that's because in the Western world, they are the minority. Always have been.
For film and television, the correct way round that, is for more non-whites to actually get into acting, writing, etc. That way proper representation can, and will, be achieved.

In video gaming in general, it's sort of similar, but only really relevant to "real world" and modern day settings.
Beyond that, it becomes purely an artistic choice, particularly outside of games that give the player control over their character's gender/race, like CRPGs and some FPS games.

obibobi

May 10, 2017

The problem is you approach this from an aspect of moral entitlement. You've said foolish things like white washing as if it's bad.

When a character was changed from one race to white, that is for an audience, to sell a product.

When it's changed from white to another race, it is always done for the same reason, this would be tolerable if wasn't for the fact that it also mixed up with a delusion that it's morally superior, people feel they are owed these things out of some some stupid fairness. When all that's really being done is the product has also become about selling a delusion of moral superiority.

I don't take you seriously as you randomly list of races other than your own as an attempt at some false solidarity with them. If you are Asian or heaven help you Indian, you will get scraps from the people who use the term diversity.

If people are honest and specific about what they want, then no reasonable person can say it's wrong. But like I said, that wasn't done, just a bunch of people using SJW arguments.

carnalcardinal

Game Developer
Jr. Uploader
Jul 28, 2017
@Snugglepuff I still think there is a ways to go, considering white people only make up 62% of the United States, but I agree. (y)

@obibobi I did list my race there, twice. I did say I was NOT in favor of changing characters race for an agenda. You just label me an SJW and assume my opinion about things.

And why is standing up for other people a foreign concept to you? The only reason I am able to work/vote/marry is because other people stood up for me. Why would I not return the favor for a future generation?

Jashmyne

Oct 11, 2018
Both the gender and ethnicity of The Ancient One was changed for the movie.
The Ancient One was a Tibetan man. Tibetan, as in, from Tibet. That's a major politically based change right there, and purely to appease the good ol' "People's" Republic of China.
Well not really white washing then.
With Ghost in the shell I can see it but as I said, the japanese are fine with it but atleast with The Ancient One she isn't suppose to be playing an asian.
They changed the entire character so she is a different character.
Of course can always discuss making different characters especially to make it popular in certain countries but she was hardly the first marvel character that was changed or made different from their comic counterparts since I felt that Marvel was doing their own thing, not just copying a certain comic book.
Just feel like Tilda got a rotten deal there that she didn't deserve, she was a brit playing a british(more or less) character.
And really, if they wanted to make China happy they would have kept the gender and made him Chinese.

Papa Lazarou

Mar 25, 2018
Well not really white washing then.
With Ghost in the shell I can see it but as I said, the japanese are fine with it but atleast with The Ancient One she isn't suppose to be playing an asian.
They changed the entire character so she is a different character.
Of course can always discuss making different characters especially to make it popular in certain countries but she was hardly the first marvel character that was changed or made different from their comic counterparts since I felt that Marvel was doing their own thing, not just copying a certain comic book.
Just feel like Tilda got a rotten deal there that she didn't deserve, she was a brit playing a british(more or less) character.
And really, if they wanted to make China happy they would have kept the gender and made him Chinese.
Well remember Kung Fu for example David Carradine as Chinese Man
:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.30 star(s) 7 Votes