Tool Others Rakugo 3.2 [updated 24.05.2021]

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
Rakugo 3.2 [updated 24.05.2021]

Inspired by , Rakugo is a framework aimed at providing a better tool set for narrative-based games on .
Simplify your project, if it is a visual novel, point and click, RPG, interactive text game or many other styles and blends of styles.

Unlock the potential of 3.x with Rakugo!

Features include:
  • Expanded nodes
  • GUI extensions
  • Specialized tools for narrative-driven games
  • And much more ...
You can:
  • support the project in various ways, check how .
  • download 3.2 for Godot 3.3.x .
You can download Visual novel demo (port of Ren'Py`s The Question) .

Showcase

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If your game uses Rakugo, write to me on .

Story-driven games

It means games that are for example:
  • Click & Point Adventures
  • RPG
You can use it with:
  • GDScript
  • RakuScript (WIP)
  • CSharp (Maybe)
-
Download Rakugo: -
Download Rakugo The Question :

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018
Neat to see you here! Rakugo was a huge motivator for my own system that I've been working on for private development. It really got me thinking of how to work with the more obscure parts of Godot like GraphEdit and GraphNode.

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
Neat to see you here! Rakugo was a huge motivator for my own system that I've been working on for private development. It really got me thinking of how to work with the more obscure parts of Godot like GraphEdit and GraphNode.
Why private, I welcome any one to help me with Rakugo especially some one that help with some visual programming (is dark magic to me)

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Why private, I welcome any one to help me with Rakugo especially some one that help with some visual programming (is dark magic to me)
how finished is rakugo? Lets say I want to use it on my rpg, wich btw has a state machine, so ideally i want that everytime a dialogue finishes it sends a signal so i can switch state.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Also. Im currently using unity, and one thing I noticed on frameworks like fungus or yarn is that they use their own variables instead o script ones, wich makes integrating a quest system annoying.
How is rakugo on this regard??

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
Also. Im currently using unity, and one thing I noticed on frameworks like fungus or yarn is that they use their own variables instead o script ones, wich makes integrating a quest system annoying.
How is rakugo on this regard??
I never used fungus or yarn, but I know that there are graphical tools.
Rakugo is for now only GDScript tool (Ren'Py like own script langue and visual scripting is comming in future).
In and as this is coding tool you can use script variables or use global RakugoVars like this:
Python:
Rakugo.define("some_var", 3)
var some_var = Rakugo.get_var("some_var")
# you can connect signal to var change:
some_var.connect("value_changed", self, "_on_some_var_changed")
# add more

Reactions: lobotomist

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Nice! it drives me crazy that i have to find ways to manipulate my system's variables along with the dialogue systems.

What about my previous question? wich just to clarify it would be like diablo, but with less combat and more giggity.

Sep 4, 2018
Nice! it drives me crazy that i have to find ways to manipulate my system's variables along with the dialogue systems.

What about my previous question? wich just to clarify it would be like diablo, but with less combat and more giggity.
You should be able to do just do emit_signal("signal_name") after a specific dialogue or whenever else you want. Then connect those signals to your FSM.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
You should be able to do just do emit_signal("signal_name") after a specific dialogue or whenever else you want. Then connect those signals to your FSM.
yeah but according to github the point n click part is very incomplete

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
yeah but according to github the point n click part is very incomplete
Yes it is point n click part is very incomplete,
but Rakugo is framework for which is simpler that and is some parts better and dUrnity.
And is very simple to make this staff using it, but now I focus on .
You combine Rakugo with Open RPG by GDQuest (Nathan):

Also you have tons of godot tutorials on youtube.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
I dont see an executable for the question, do I need to use godot to build? if soo wich version?

Also what features are you missing that ren'py has?

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
I dont see an executable for the question, do I need to use godot to build? if soo wich version?

Also what features are you missing that ren'py has?
Rakugo The Questoion is source code for Godot to show how to use Rakugo.
For now you must use godot 3.1.2 I work now on fixes to make it compatible with 3.2 .
Release compatible with godot 3.2 should out soon.

Rakugo features:
  • Godot 3.1 features
  • Save / Load system + auto save on exit
  • History
  • Dialog menus
  • Dialog boxes with character avatar
  • RakugoTextLabels, Dialog boxes that supports bbcode, renpy markup and emojis
  • Ask func - equivalent of renpy.input
  • Quests system
  • Options:
    • text speed slider
    • auto speed slider
    • setting graphic quality
    • music / sound sliders (now broken)
  • Show / Hide like in renpy
  • Characters nodes
  • GDScriptDialog - Node to make writing dialog using GDScript easier
  • RakugoVars - custom system of variables to make it more like in renpy
  • Extra nodes for Rakugo

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
I update thread just now:
  • update changelog
  • update/fix links
  • I add HELP secition

HELP:
  • write to us on our
  • check our
  • check out

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
I just updated this thread, because a new versions of Rakugo has been released recently.
Also now Rakugo have new web page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cul

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
I remember you had a full game made on this, could you upload a video showcase to better know what this is capable of? the tutorials are good but don't really convey the message.

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
I remember you had a full game made on this, could you upload a video showcase to better know what this is capable of? the tutorials are good but don't really convey the message.
Yes, and No - yes there is small game on this - is just a port of Ren'Py 's "The Question" - you can download it from project page, but this does not fully showcase all Rakugo's features - I should made one, but I don't have any idea for it :(
But I can make video that showcase all Rakugo's features - thanks for idea I will made it soon :)

Some features are listed here:

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Yes, and No - yes there is small game on this - is just a port of Ren'Py 's "The Question" - you can download it from project page, but this does not fully showcase all Rakugo's features - I should made one, but I don't have any idea for it :(
But I can make video that showcase all Rakugo's features - thanks for idea I will made it soon :)

Some features are listed here:
I mean. You posted the features before. But one thing is seeing them in action and another is reading them, so yeah I hope you can make a vid showing the workflow mostly or maybe even some screen captures would help. after all one image is worth a thousand words.

Reactions: jerx360

jerx360

Feb 12, 2018
I just updated this thread, because a new versions of Rakugo has been released recently.