RAM problem's

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
hi
so I'm struggling with ram's a lot lately.
My old mobo broke down i mean one ram slot is dead. i would care but
because i started to play with DAZ 8G stick i have wast even close to what i need.

I figured out it's time to replace that old mobo with new one and add on top of that 2 stick's of ram and i choose to go with 2x

and here is when my problems start,
first I ordered as a replacement for my old mobo but got restarting loops, i knew it has to be ram but because all of the 4 sticks are in working order (yes i tested them all on my old mobo) i thought the new mobo has to be broken, so i send it back and bought

Still have the same problem with the MSI and now even EZ Debug LED says its DRAM "indicates DRAM is not detected or fail"

but how is this possible all or my ram new and old
are working on my old mobo...

i tried to clear CMOS but didn't help

im out of ideas...

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Are you sure you properly placed the RAM? Some motherboards require some pressing to properly connect the RAM to the slots.

Reactions: Endrju

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Did you try to overclock the cpu or ram? I'm not up to date, but when the B360 MBs launched, they didn't supported OCing and a ram clock over 2666 would end in chrashes.
Also, some RAM are simply not complatible with some boards.

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
Are you sure you properly placed the RAM? Some motherboards require some pressing to properly connect the RAM to the slots.
yeah very sure, not my first build. i always double check everything but this time i don't know anymore, maybe i missed something? wrong clock's on the ram or mobo? what could be the reason for the loops?

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
Did you try to overclock the cpu or ram? I'm not up to date, but when the B360 MBs launched, they didn't supported OCing and a ram clock over 2666 would end in chrashes.
Also, some RAM are simply not complatible with some boards.
nope no overclocking, it's mini ITX build with very small case, it wasn't planned as rendering Maschine when i build it

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
Generally a boot loop would be caused by Ram not seated properly or may be a bit of dust dirt in the slot.another cause though less likely could be the graphics card not seated properly or maybe bit of dust dirt in slot.

Going back to the Ram your mobo appears to have a Ram boost function it shouldn't cause problems but maybe another angle to look at.

worst case scenario i had this with an Asus board i brought the board and ram speeds it said it supported only to find i had update the bios for said ram support . so if you are comfortable flashing the bios may be another solution (NOT Recommended without prior experience ) if it goes wrong you have an expensive doorstop .

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
exactly but i double checked everything and then check it all once more time just to be sure, every time it ends with the same result with or without GPU being installed, the only time when loop doesnt seems to happen is when i get rid of the ram entirely.

yeah that ram-boost is on my mind as well

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
try swapping the ram in slot 0 with the ram in slot 1
if no
try using just the new ram in slot 0
-different brands, dual channel mode, possible problems

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
try swapping the ram in slot 0 with the ram in slot 1
if no
try using just the new ram in slot 0
-different brands, dual channel mode, possible problems
yeah i already tried that, nothing seems to work

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
When you talk about restarting loops, do you mean restarts in the bios (not even loading the operating system)? Or restarts while loading the operating system?... and if it was while loading the operating system, what do you have?

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
there is no posting, no bios screen, no windows logo nada
loop starts couple of seconds after i push power button, the only time when loop doesnt happen its when i take out the ram.
i put together whole rig again with the old mobo and everything works

i dont know anymore what to do

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Do you happen to have a Ryzon processor? I had the exact same loop on my B350 in combination with a Ryzon and new RAM (GSkill 16GB @ 3000) last year. It was a compatibility issue. I had to update the bios to make it work. I read a bit about the B360 boards and it looks like its using the same old Bios that the B350 boards use so maybe it's worth a try to update the Bios.
I did try some older Bios versions, (7, 9, 10; 5 was pre installed) but I had to get the latest Bios to that date (11 dot something) to make it work.
Since Bios updates could potentially harm your system, keep that in mind as a last straw.

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
that's a very good idea, i will try to update BIOS because im out of options here
im using

theoretically it all supposed to work together

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
that's a very good idea, i will try to update BIOS because im out of options here
im using

theoretically it all supposed to work together
Good luck! (y)

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
there is no posting, no bios screen, no windows logo nada
loop starts couple of seconds after i push power button, the only time when loop doesnt happen its when i take out the ram.
i put together whole rig again with the old mobo and everything works

i dont know anymore what to do
I've seen this behavior on some motherboards, especially Gigabyte... and nomrlamente are two things:

- The motherboard (having many parameters in "AUTO", like RAM) is rebooting with different RAM speeds (2133, 2400, 2666, ect; or other parameters) to see which ones are correct. In this case after a few restarts (between 1 and 5) you would have to start correctly.

- The motherboard and the RAM, for whatever reason, are incompatible.
(I found these incompatibility problems with a Kingston Predator at 2666Mhz, they didn't start on 3 different boards)

In your case, that 2 types of memory fail is very strange (I suppose you have already tried to put only one module of each to check it).
So I'd say it could be the first option, and with one of the two and waiting for it to restart a few times, I'd have to start at the end.

You can also try resetting the whole motherboard (sometimes they get stunned):
- Disconnect the power cable
- Disconnect internal cables to the motherboard (24-pin and 4-pin (or 4+4))
- Removes internal battery (CR2032)
- Wait a few seconds.
- Reconnect everything (internal cables, put the battery and finally the external power cable).
- Just mount one RAM module and try to boot.

Good luck ;)

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
- The motherboard (having many parameters in "AUTO", like RAM) is rebooting with different RAM speeds (2133, 2400, 2666, ect; or other parameters) to see which ones are correct. In this case after a few restarts (between 1 and 5) you would have to start correctly.
oh ok i didnt know that, i will try it for sure

- The motherboard and the RAM, for whatever reason, are incompatible.
(I found these incompatibility problems with a Kingston Predator at 2666Mhz, they didn't start on 3 different boards)
that is crazy if that would be the case, i hope not
on the paper all of parameters fits together

In your case, that 2 types of memory fail is very strange (I suppose you have already tried to put only one module of each to check it).
So I'd say it could be the first option, and with one of the two and waiting for it to restart a few times, I'd have to start at the end.
yeah its weird, something like that never happened to me before
yes i tried every stick separately without any luck but i will try it again and give every of them couple of tries
thanks for that tip

You can also try resetting the whole motherboard (sometimes they get stunned):
- Disconnect the power cable
- Disconnect internal cables to the motherboard (24-pin and 4-pin (or 4+4))
- Removes internal battery (CR2032)
- Wait a few seconds.
- Reconnect everything (internal cables, put the battery and finally the external power cable).
- Just mount one RAM module and try to boot.
i already did all of that but will give it another go just to be sure

Good luck ;)
thank you i will going to need it and thanks for taking the time to wrote all of this

Reactions: Porcus Dev

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
This isn't a RAM issue.
You've basically wasted whatever you paid for the B360 board unfortunately, because your i7 6700 is not supported. All boards with a 300 chipset only support CPU's from the 8th and 9th gen. Even though the socket is the same, you'd need to get a board with a 100 series chipset.

Endrju

Shadows of the Past
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 20, 2017
ok shit that's explains it than.
at least i know what's the issue
and no i didn't waste any money, i will send mobo back tomorrow and look for one that can handle my cpu
tanks man

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
This isn't a RAM issue.
You've basically wasted whatever you paid for the B360 board unfortunately, because your i7 6700 is not supported. All boards with a 300 chipset only support CPU's from the 8th and 9th gen. Even though the socket is the same, you'd need to get a board with a 100 series chipset.

Oh, yes, sure it's this.

Sorry, I missed your post where you said what CPU you use :eek::p