Rape and Incest on Patreon, let's discuss that.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
We all know that Incest and especially rape are not allowed on Patreon, yet their guidelines do not seem to fully ban them:

"We also do not allow other fringe sexual fetish content, such as incest, necrophilia, or fetish content that is hard to distinguish from non-consensual sex.

We understand that some topics on this list such as incest or rape are a little bit more complicated because these situations are, unfortunately, part of real life. As a result, when reviewing this type of content, the Trust and Safety team will take into consideration context including personal, historical or educational narrative. For example, survivor stories or fiction such as Game of Thrones or Lolita are allowed on Patreon."

This is interesting because, from what I understood, incest is prohibited only if it is hard to distinguish it from consensual sex.
That being said, all games containing incest seem to be taken out with no exclusion even if the guidelines would seem to suggest otherwise.

Do you guys have any example of a game that survived patreon's Trust and Safety team without taking incest off? And, assuming that I did not misunderstand what the guidelines say, in which case do you think Patreon would allow incest content to survive in their platform?

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Roundscape, Opala, Glassix, TiTs, SU all have banned content and are greenlighted by Patreon, so I guess they all have in common that they are really big games where the banned stuff is just a part of the whole? Also makes it harder for patreon inquisitors to find the goodies because they don't actually play the games.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Lilith's throne was recently banned, one of my favorite game has incest too and it is doing fine.
Seems pretty random to me and yet, I think some of those that were banned could have actually gotten away with it if we consider the guidelines but my guess is that they did not want to risk it and simply removed it.

Lilith's throne dev simply left Patreon to keep her game as it is, I wonder if she actually tried to "Fight it" or knew that there was no point, I cannot say that I played her game enough to know everything but it seems her game totally fit the guidelines.

W65

May 31, 2018
I assume Patreon has reactive moderating for this kind of thing. Unless the game's obviously nonconforming, you are probably given a pass until someone tells Patreon's team that your game has content that breaks their rules.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
For the record Wicked Choice has a lot of the "bad" content in it, but are not focused on it and the story shows that the MC is concerned about his actions and do questions and self reflection about his choices.
So long Wicked Choices could avoid the warth of the trust and safety team (and more than once).

For Lilith's throne I don't see this, rather your my aunt? I like you regardless, so come let us have sex and do impregnated me.
Thus I can see, why they have purged this as others games too.

Also the TOS use "or" in their list and this means if any of the describe content is in the game then their have the *rights* to ban it. And the statement "fetish content that is hard to distinguish from non-consensual sex" is as lose as you can me it, without saying "we will ban whatever we don't like".;)
As always I believe that they also have something in their TOS to delete every unwanted content regardless of their subject.

W65

May 31, 2018
For the record Wicked Choice has a lot of the "bad" content in it, but are not focused on it and the story shows that the MC is concerned about his actions and do questions and self reflection about his choices.
So long Wicked Choices could avoid the warth of the trust and safety team (and more than once).

For Lilith's throne I don't see this, rather your my aunt? I like you regardless, so come let us have sex and do impregnated me.
Thus I can see, why they have purged this as others games too.

Also the TOS use "or" in their list and this means if any of the describe content is in the game then their have the *rights* to ban it. And the statement "fetish content that is hard to distinguish from non-consensual sex" is as lose as you can me it, without saying "we will ban whatever we don't like".;)
As always |b]I believe[/b] that they also have something in their TOS to delete every unwanted content regardless of their subject.
So, uh, if I understand you right, the devs of Wicked Choice have been contacted by Patreon's team, they explained that there was an artistic element to their rape/incest/loli/dogsex/whatever ("the character felt bad about it, which makes it character development"), and Patreon was fine with that?

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
So, uh, if I understand you right, the devs of Wicked Choice have been contacted by Patreon's team, they explained that there was an artistic element to their rape/incest/loli/dogsex/whatever ("the character felt bad about it, which makes it character development"), and Patreon was fine with that?
Short answer yes, but I think it was more a part of the story progress and not a main focus of the game.
At least this is my understand about this and my interpretation of @ASLPro3D statements regarding this.
Long answer only the dev and Patreon know.

Reactions: ASLPro3D

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
There was a WHOLE LOT MORE to it than that... unlike a lot of games that use those subjects as a means to increase their monthly coffers and quick fapping material, our game was deemed more along the lines as a visual "Game of Thrones" novel than a "let's use (name of restricted fetish) to gain the most money from patrons a month".

Additionally, in the "rape scene" of our game, we didn't sugar coat it or make it something a player would fap to... it was brutal and very much real. It dealt with the realities of real rape, it was story driven and was not the fantasy driven bs of a woman succumbing to pleasure during it...

It seriously depends on the reason why the subject matter is in a person's game, as to whether or not you will have your release and site locked out... if you think that your story would get crushed and banned, while you are working on it... or you are adding it simply because "that's what sells and make me the most money" then, don't add that to the game!

Patreon doesn't have to come and play your game, they have members who will easily report your game and you if they are offended or see that it violates the TOS...

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
That's very interesting because that means incest and even rape are not 100% banned, they can be topics you can use but it depends on how you use them.

Reactions: ASLPro3D

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
That's very interesting because that means incest and even rape are not 100% banned, they can be topics you can use but it depends on how you use them.
It is exactly the way that they explain it in their TOS... it is judged on a case by case manner and is determined by their Trust & Safety team if it meets the requirements to be allowed to continue or if it should be banned.

Contrary to belief, they aren't evil pricks that run around with ban hammers, they will discuss a situation with you and get your thoughts on why you felt the need to put whatever subject matter you put in there.

In my case, I was investigated 5 times now, once for the rape scene, twice because I "violated" the "implied nudity", once because someone felt offended because I "forced" players to be the "antichrist" in our game, and once due to heavy discussions about incest in our game...

Again, it depends on the reasons you add what you add into your game... how well it is written and conveyed to audiences and, again, the reason why it is in the story.

Reactions: Winterfire

W65

May 31, 2018
Hm. Patreon being a little lenient with rape and incest is a thing I can understand, I guess. Negotiating on those is a bit more consistent than it would've been for the harder stuff I mentioned.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I had a totally different (and wrong) vision of this, thanks for sharing your experiences!

Reactions: Vanderer

Singaia

Dec 15, 2018
To which extent can't developers just publish censored content on Patreon and publish an uncensored patch elsewhere?