Ren'Py Re-Enable Default Renpy Save/Load Screens?

Aug 9, 2018
This is kind of a dumb, needlessly specific question, but is there any way to edit a file or setting in a downloaded Renpy game that has a custom number of save slots per page, so that it goes back to the default 6?

I mean for example, Hero's Harem Guild, which has 15 slots per page- rather than naming individual files, I like to rename the page as a chapter, and 15 slots is way too much to fill. Or like Harem Hotel, etc.

I'm just wondering if there's an easy .rpy file I can edit to change the number of thumbnails, or a file I can drop into the game folder to just get the default save/load page back, or if that's something that is hardcoded into the application itself.

Thanks!

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
The attached file should do the trick. Or find gui.rpy file and change these lines to your preferred numbers:
define gui.file_slot_cols = 3
define gui.file_slot_rows = 2

Reactions: OnlyUsedForNever
Aug 9, 2018
Hm, seems like it doesn't have any effect on HHG (which has a fairly designed save screen, and I don't see a gui.rpy, only a 0gui.rpa in the game folder.)

However, it does work on most of the other, slightly simpler games that I tested it on or that do have a gui.rpy, so it's useful information regardless! Thanks for the quick and informative reply.

Reactions: LightmanP

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
The problem that you will run into is that the thumbnail for each save is part of the save file itself. So if you change the number from 15 down to 6... that implies that you want the thumbnail size for each save file to be bigger too... and for future saves it will be. But all existing saves will look broken.

There are also more settings than just gui.file_slot_cols and gui.file_slot_rows. There's also config.thumbnail_width, config.thumbnail_height, gui.slot_button_width, gui.slot_button_height, gui.slot_button_borders and a couple of others that all affect how that screen is presented. And that all presumes that the developer hasn't gutted the whole screen file_slots(title): code and rewritten it from the ground up.

If you want to mess with things, the settings I'm talking about are usually all in the gui.rpy file. And the screen used by the save/load system is usually called screen file_slots(): and is stored in the screens.rpy file. You may need to unpack the game using a tool like UnRen to be able to edit the .rpy files.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018
Wow, I was able to use unRen and your information to achieve exactly what I was hoping for! Luckily, I'm just starting the game so I didn't have to worry about old files, and I was able to very easily modify the thumbnail sizes with your help finding the right locations.

Honestly shocked how easily helpful this thread turned out to be. Thanks so much!