Daz Reading Daz compressed files

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
Hi there!

Working on some assets to make them DIM compliant, I just realized that most of the files were saved in compressed format.
I hadn't even noticed it under Mac, BBEdit was decompressing them while the opening, but... I've just changed my computer. Windows inside, it doesn't work as well... Notepad++ doesn't know how to open them and displays gibberish.

To be clear... Sometimes it's needed :LOL:
I decompress the zip/7z (7-zip, last version), I get some .duf, .dsx..... files.
These are the files that are compressed (when saving under Daz).

I guess I'm not the first to be confronted with this problem... What are the solutions?

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Daz dsf compressed files can be decompressed using any zip tool, such as 7z, you just have to do some renaming to add the extension to the uncompressed file.
For exemple, opening a compressed "Character.dsf" file in 7z will show a file named "Character", that's your file, so decompress it, and just add the extension ".dsf" at the end, and done.

There is also a very usefull tool that does it in a more user-friendly way (and does much more) called Dsf Toolbox ( ), you just drag and drop the file on it, and it decompresses/renames/backsup the file(s) for you. It's maybe posted on the forums, but I'll attach it; just make sure you scan, etc, althou it's straight from my computer, and I use it almost every day, so should be safe.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bip

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
Daz dsf compressed files can be decompressed using any zip tool, such as 7z, you just have to do some renaming to add the extension to the uncompressed file.
For exemple, opening a compressed "Character.dsf" file in 7z will show a file named "Character", that's your file, so decompress it, and just add the extension ".dsf" at the end, and done.
It's exactly that. Daz offers a GZip compression when saving. With my (old) Mac, my text editor, BBEdit, could uncompress the files on the fly, so I didn't even notice it until now.
Notepad++ can't do it and 7-zip can't "recursively" uncompress...

And to do it manually, when there are more than 100 files for an asset... :sick: That's why I'm looking for a walkthrough and / or cheatcodes... :LOL:

There is also a very usefull tool that does it in a more user-friendly way (and does much more) called Dsf Toolbox ( ), you just drag and drop the file on it, and it decompresses/renames/backsup the file(s) for you. It may be posted on the forums, but I'll attach it; just make sure you scan, etc, althou it's straight from my computer, and I use it almost every day, so should be safe.
Thanks!!!!! I'll try it tomorrow. It will come handy for sure.
Maybe for this specific task I'll end up with a little drag&drop batch, easier to apply for a bunch of anarchic directories, but I'll have a look at this tool. Some jobs around the morphs make me excited :love:

Reactions: Madmanator99