Real time Daz rendering system

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
What sort of system would you recommend to be able to render Daz images in real time or as realistically close to possible real time rendering.

ViNovella

Game Developer
Apr 20, 2019
It all depends on your budget. The money you have the better rendering rig you can get. You need a good video card and preferably good processer and also enough memory would be also good. Not sure what you mean by "real time" rendering. I create one render in 30-50 minutes. And one animation is rendered in 3-5 hours.

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
real time meaning not having to wait long periods of time to complete the rendering process.

So let's start with your 30-50 rendering process. What sort of setup do you have for that level of performance and then let's ramp up and say what would it take to do that same process is 3 mins ?.

ViNovella

Game Developer
Apr 20, 2019
I'm having RTX 2080 Ti video card, 64 GB of RAM and Razen 3700x processor. There is no way to make my renders faster. There are technics and optimizations I might do to have better times, but I don't do it since it would just take more time to prepare such renders. And right now I create around 10 renders per day that is enough for my game. Why do you need to create renders in 3 min?

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
First of all thanks for taking the time to provide so much info. My first question I have from your response is why do you say " There is no way to make my renders faster " I do not understand that statement ?

As far as why I need to create renders in 3 minute is not really a matter of need but more of wanting and also being able to stick to a delivery schedule. I am close to pulling the plug and developing a game idea I have had for a long time and I want to avoid the common issues like not delivering updates on a timely basis so making sure I have enough hardware so my team can work and not wait endlessly. I hope that makes sense ?.

ViNovella

Game Developer
Apr 20, 2019
Well, I have almost the best video card that you can get. There will be a new generation of cards soon, but for now, it is the best one. You can put two cards like this in your computer, but this will not make your renders faster. It will only allow you to make more complex scenes. I don't think you need to render things is 3 minutes. I deliver new content to my patrons every 5 weeks. That is enough time for me to create all the content I want.
Also rendering time depends a lot on your DAZ skills and complexity of your renders. Some of the renders that I create can take 1 minute. But the renders I use in-game usually take longer. You might want to provide examples of what are you trying to achieve to get more relevant responses.
Also you don't need a rig like mine to start rendering. My first couple of releases were done on the laptop.

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I have almost the best video card that you can get. There will be a new generation of cards soon, but for now, it is the best one. You can put two cards like this in your computer, but this will not make your renders faster. It will only allow you to make more complex scenes. I don't think you need to render things is 3 minutes. I deliver new content to my patrons every 5 weeks. That is enough time for me to create all the content I want.
Also rendering time depends a lot on your DAZ skills and complexity of your renders. Some of the renders that I create can take 1 minute. But the renders I use in-game usually take longer. You might want to provide examples of what are you trying to achieve to get more relevant responses.
Also you don't need a rig like mine to start rendering. My first couple of releases were done on the laptop.

Correct me if I am wrong but the video card you have is best for games not for rending?. I have been reading about Nvidia cards designed just for rendering and even dedicated desktops made for rendering so I think it is possible but again I could be wrong. I am just asking so I can work out my business plan.

ViNovella

Game Developer
Apr 20, 2019
Correct me if I am wrong but the video card you have is best for games not for rending?. I have been reading about Nvidia cards designed just for rendering and even dedicated desktops made for rendering so I think it is possible but again I could be wrong. I am just asking so I can work out my business plan.
Game is a 3D environment rendered in real-time on your screen. There is no difference. You need cudo cores and memory to have the best performance with 3D rendering. I would advise to first understand what do you need. I don't think any game needs a rendering time of 3 minutes. It is more about what are you trying to make with your time.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
You can put two cards like this in your computer, but this will not make your renders faster. It will only allow you to make more complex scenes.
This is not entirely true.
Render speed is determined by the amount of CUDA's and they stack which means two of them will make it faster.
The complexity of a scene is determined by the vram of it, and those do not stack and hence two cards will not do much for that (it will still be 12gb of vram even with 2x12gb vram cards)

Besides that, I totally agree with ViNovella.

ViNovella

Game Developer
Apr 20, 2019
This is not entirely true.
Render speed is determined by the amount of CUDA's and they stack which means two of them will make it faster.
The complexity of a scene is determined by the vram of it, and those do not stack and hence two cards will not do much for that (it will still be 12gb of vram even with 2x12gb vram cards)

Besides that, I totally agree with ViNovella.
Oh right, just googled and yea, seems like I remembered it in the opposite way. But even if having two cards would boost rendering time, it will not make me faster in production of the game, since there is a limited number of renders that I can prepare per day...

Reactions: HopesGaming

Estreiher

Jan 16, 2020
Sorry to highjack a thread but I was thinking about improving my rig as well.

Currently I have I7-3,4 ghz CPU, 16 bg ram and Nvidia Geforce 1080. Guess I'd have the most from second GPU. My question is (since I'm kinda amateur regarding picking up hardware) how do dual cards work? Do I need second identical 1080 one? Or getting 2080 would be fine?

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
real time meaning not having to wait long periods of time to complete the rendering process.

So let's start with your 30-50 rendering process. What sort of setup do you have for that level of performance and then let's ramp up and say what would it take to do that same process is 3 mins ?.
There is no magical solution to your problem. The render times depends on 2 things: Hardware and the scene itself. If you have the top of line hardware, like ViNovella the only thing left would be to compromise on the scene itself (reducing amount of objects to render in the scene or using a laughable resolution like 640*320) in order to speed up the render times. Or you could just render in 3Delight, since that doesn't take anywhere near the time that IRAY does, but IMO it looks horrible.

In the end, remember the old saying: Fast, cheap & good are mutually exclusive:

Fast & good = Won't be cheap (you'd need a $100.000 rig to pull off the numbers you are saying)
Fast & cheap = Won't be good (you could reach 3 minute renders by using 3Delight in a 720 resolution I am pretty sure)
Cheap & good = Won't be fast (you could use your current rig to render and just accept that it will take a lot of time)

In a couple of years, it probably won't be issue to make good renders in a few minutes, but we need better hardware first. Remember the words of Howard Stark: "I am limited by the technology of my time."

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
Do I need second identical 1080 one? Or getting 2080 would be fine?
You can use every Nvidia Card as a second GPU, as long as you have a free PCI-e Slot (Gen 3/16x) and your power supply delivers enough power.

prettystupid

Mar 30, 2019
You can use low quality renders while working to test poses, composition, etc and only render in full detail for the final image to save time. I'm not familiar with DAZ but that's easily possible with software like Blender so I assume there's an analogous option.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
For a lot of things, especially character interacting with each other or the environment, you'll end up spending more time posing, lighting and tweaking the Camera angle than you will actually rendering. That's a little different if you plan to do lots of animations, but at that point it might be worth looking at off-site rendering farms. Vi's approach of a good CPU, a ti2080 (or two if you have the money) and lots of RAM/VRAM, is going to be fine for most DAZ scenes.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Daz/Iray has a realtime rendering mode, which is still not really realtime, but a lot faster than the normal mode and might even be close to "real" realtime if you have some extreme hardware (e.g. Titan RTX). It doesn't look as good as photoreal mode, but if you're concerned with speed, than it might be worth looking into it.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Dave98424 you can do renders in well under 3 minutes no matter your hardware. I use a stylized cell-shading method completely within Daz Studio using the free Octane plug-in, and can put out full-size sprites in 7 seconds and full scenes in about 30 seconds. And it doesn't need lighting so that saves in setup time.

Just a cost-effective option to upgrading your hardware or outsourcing your renders.

Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for all the info guys, I think I need to take a step back and do some real world testing to figure out what hardware I need. I was reading about the Quadro desktops by Nvidia and leaning toward it but am unsure at this point if that is the best option.