VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Reconnect [v1.0] [l8eralgames]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Exanadae

A short, sweet, romantic visual novel, technically well-executed and engaging. It's just a shame I wanted to strangle the MC.

A boy and a girl, estranged for years, meet in a cafe and rekindle their relationship. The entire game is essentially a conversation between two characters as they explore why they parted, and then get back together. While there are dialog choices, they only have a minor impact on future dialog, there is no branching plot or alternate scenes.

The game is 95% incredibly chaste conversation and 5% sex, with no real teasing or fan-service, so be prepared for a straight little romantic vignette. The art is incredibly well realized and the writing is engaging and at times even clever.

The one flaw (and what brings the score down to three-and-a-half-stars-rounded-up-to-four-because-i-feel-charitable) is the MC. There is a lot of internal monologue, and the more time I spend in his head, the more I wish I could yell at the love interest to get out as fast as she can.

Some people believe that having an interest is a substitute for having a personality. For the MC this is metal music. He relates to the world and other people through a series of band metaphors. He bemoans how the world mistreats him for his fandom, while at the same time making sure we know he's one of the "good ones". He's "You have to have a high IQ to appreciate Rick & Morty" guy, but for metal.

He spends so much of the game radiating red flags that he is totally not ready for a relationship with a real live human girl that by the end I wish she would either yell at him and bring him to his senses, or run away into the night before she's stuck trying to explain that no, even after the twelfth forced listen of the entire album, she's just not into that band he likes.

Still, aside from that it's a sweet, cute little story and if you can stand being in That Guy's head for a while, it's an otherwise pleasant use of some spare time.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

fleetp

The writing and visuals on this are excellent. The dialogs made me care about the MC and the young lady. I'll admit that I played this with the sound turned off, as I'm not interested in 'dark metal'. Kudos to the game creator.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

CoffeeDrinker

Excellent writing! Very sweet and romantic with plenty of humor. Rendering and visuals are good with Jen being as cute and beautiful as she is witty.

Damn, now I need to try all of L8eralGames' games...
  4. 5.00 star(s)

bucolic666

Lovely renders, very good writing, cute little story, and award-winning music (in my mind, anyway... ;-) ).

Nicely done, and I would love to see a more developed story with these characters. Not the kinds that take years to develop and keep players waiting months on end for updates, but well-developed stories of a few chapters with a definitive end goal. This is a good base to start from and I'd encourage the developers to flesh this out a bit. Really nice stuff! :)
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Dir.Fred

The characters in L8eral games are always quirky and off-putting. And charming. Immensely charming.

Consistently high quality. Stands a good chance of winning you over through sheer charisma even if this isn't your thing.

The dialogue and music references can be a bit 'cringe' and OTT in places, but that's about par for the course. ;)

Compared to the vast majority of games available here, the script and visuals are outstanding.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

cyberprophet

Short light visual novel. Not much really meaningful choices i believe. Great Facial expressions, nice music (depends on your taste), TON of humour. I can tell that's a little jewel here. Just grab your soda/beer and enjoy the ride