Daz Rec's Skin Maker (Alpha) 0.2 UPDATE

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Update (Alpha 0.2):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Link in the spoiler below.

I'm working on an asset/product/bundle/whatever for Daz that should make it easier to create unique skin. It's somewhat similiar to Skin Bulder.
I never really liked skin builder, it's a nice idea, but the design, the shader, some of the textures and most importantly the implementation sux, so I'm making my own version.

This is something I always wanted to do, but it's really complex and I don't have much time, atm it's still far away from being finished, but I'll expand it more and more over time.

So what is this thread for you ask? Well I need tester... as I said, this is complex stuff and I can't test every possibility on my own, plus I have a game to work on^^

What you get is one of the best skin texture I've ever made and the possibility to create your own unique skin before anybody else. There are a lot of possibilitys for the face already, freckles, moles, irritations, blush. 8 different color options for the whole body, plus a really unique skin shader, that you won't find anywhere else (sadly it won't work on any other skin than the one included :cry:). At the moment it's based solely on presets, but my plan is to create a UI for it in the future.
Other future plans are moles and freckles for the body, different lipsticks and colors, wrinkles, more eyeliner, eyeshadows, nipple colors, more body colors, gen material and possibly a lot more.

Anyway, pictures speak more than words, so I'm going to show you some of the current possibilities.
Since I'm going to release it here in the future, I'm going to structure the rest of the post like an actually release thread.

One thing to note:
I tested a lot of stuff already, and it's highly unlikely that this messes with your Daz installation or anything, but I'd still recommend to download this only if you have some experience in Daz, not only for your own sake, but also for me to get better feedback and don't have to answer questions like "why does the skin look weird in the viewport?", or "why do the layered presets take so long to load"...

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hi, first of all good job!

>I need tester
Here my 2 cents:

-I might be wrong but I don't understand why you're replacing the vanilla gen8/3 female UV map (\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\UV Sets\DAZ 3D\Base Female.dsf) by your own since they use the same UV ? Might as well not distributing it, or I miss something.

-I think 'Layered-Image' should be in 'recreation' folder.

-Skin base in itself, I think it's first time I see a full weighted one as I generally stick to PBR metal. I would say a little bit too glossy for my taste, and eyes are not .. the best, but overall why not.

-There is a huge seam between the torso and the head

DAZStudio_KKQc2eLJqt.png DAZStudio_18Pgh0BLAB.png

Reactions: recreation

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Hi, first of all good job!

>I need tester
Here my 2 cents:

-I might be wrong but I don't understand why you're replacing the vanilla gen8/3 female UV map (\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\UV Sets\DAZ 3D\Base Female.dsf) by your own since they use the same UV ? Might as well not distributing it, or I miss something.

-Skin base in itself, I think it's first time I see a full weighted one as I generally stick to PBR metal. I would say a little bit too glossy for my taste, and eyes are not .. the best, but overall why not.

View attachment 500544 View attachment 500545
First of all: Thanks!^^

gen8/3 female UV map
I didn't notice that. I'm using content gatherer to get all the stuff automatically, will have a look if it includes these files.

Are you using the content library? I made such nice categories for smart content :cry:
I haven't messed much with it, but there is a folder especially for products in the content library, all the files from one product should be ther in one folder.

Same here, I haven't seen a weighted skin before, but after comparing a lot of settings I found that it simply looked best in almost every lighting composition.
I'll include options to change the gloss in the future, but I thought a nice and shiny version would be best for the first "show-off"^^
Yeah I didn't put much work in the eyes, I just took one of my "ReEyes" textures and changed a few values so that it's not too ugly. I guess I need to spend some time one them.

I noticed that too, but only after my last preview render since I used hair in all of my tests and the other preview render, I still haven't found the cause of it, but I suspect it's the top coat texture, I used the same for both, the torso and head.

Thanks for your feedback, if you have any more suggestions, or something you would like to see in future releases, let me know :)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Are you using the content library? I made such nice categories for smart content :cry:
Yeah.. And I use preset>materials for my own skins too, it's quite a mess lol. Layered images should be a subfolder of the recreation one tho, but iirc, smart content will list everything, subfolder included.

Yeah I didn't put much work in the eyes, I just took one of my "ReEyes" textures and changed a few values so that it's not too ugly. I guess I need to spend some time one them.
I have trouble too, mostly because of the gen3/8 eyes poor geometry - I really hope it's in their high priority list in the next gen.

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah.. And I use preset>materials for my own skins too, it's quite a mess lol. Layered images should be a subfolder of the recreation one tho, but iirc, smart content will list everything, subfolder included.

I have trouble too, mostly because of the gen3/8 eyes poor geometry - I really hope it's in their high priority list in the next gen.
Smart Content categories for this is: Materials -> iRay -> Feminine -> recreation -> RSM -> and then two subfolders body/face.
Yeah the eye gemoetry is bad, and they way it get's handled by the shaders is weird too, but I highly doubt that it has a high priority for them :(

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
It's really cool. Would love a way to generate real-looking random skins like your ReSkin Skin Texture would love to see it get that realistic Chatterbox is also always looking for realistic skins

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Thx, that's what I'm aming for and another reason why I want to get some early feedback :)

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
:unsure: I guess I'll post it here...

Well, I'm working on an asset/product/bundle/whatever for Daz that should make it easier to create unique skin, somewhat similiar to Skin Bulder.
I never really liked skin builder, it's a nice idea, but the design, the shader, some of the textures and most importantly the implementation sux, so I'm making my own version.

This is something I always wanted to do, but it's really complex and I don't have much time, so it's not finished and I'll expand it more and more over time.

So what is this thread for you ask? Well I need tester... as I said, this is complex stuff and I can't test every possibility on my own, plus I have a game to work on^^

What you get in return is one of the best skin texture I've ever created and the possibility to create your own unique skin before anybody else. There are a lot of possibilitys for the face already, freckles, moles, irritations, blush. 8 different color options for the whole body, plus a really unique skin shader, that you won't find anywhere else (sadly it won't work on any other skin than the one included :cry:). At the moment it's based solely on presets, but my plan is to create a UI for it in the future.
Other future plans are moles and freckles for the body, different lipsticks and colors, wrinkles, more eyeliner, eyeshadows, nipple colors, more body colors, gen material and possibly a lot more.

Anyway, pictures speak more than words, so I'm going to show you some of the current possibilities.
Since I'm going to release it here in the future, I'm going to structure the rest of the post like an actually release thread.

One thing to note:
I tested a lot of stuff already, and it's highly unlikely that this messes with your Daz installation or anything, but I'd still recommend to download this only if you have some experience in Daz, not only for your own sake, but also for me to get better feedback and don't have to answer questions like "why does the skin look weird in the viewport?", or "why do the layered presets take so long to load"...

Pretty nice job. Looks interesting.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
1578198290452.png

Just made a few tests and thought I'm going to share it with whoever want's to read it... and that has absolutely nothing to do with that I'm bored and I can't sleep, because I had too much coffee today...

So while rendering other stuff, I tried my best to get rid of the seams on the head, but without a 3d painting software it's really hard. I managed to hide most of the seams, but at the top of the head and under the chin are a few visible seams left, the good thing is that these parts are mostly invisble anyway.
I also lowered the glossyness of the base preset a little bit and made a "low gloss" preset as well.
There will be 12+1 different lip color presets, plus a lip gloss preset that I put together today. There is one downside though, adding lip color will remove the LIE presets, because I put them on the base texture (there are basically 13 base textures now) to avoid color distortion when trying several different colors. Maybe I find a better solution for that in the future.
I fiddled a bit with the eye material and it looks better now in most situations.
There will be two sweat presets for the face and one for the body. The first preset for the face didn't look good when close, but it looked better when far away, so I kept it.
I added a preset to add more pores to the skin, it's basically just a top coat bump, but it has a nice effect.
I'm also thinking about adding wrinkles, probably the same way like the pores...

Well, that's it for now I guess.
The render above is a gen8 base without any morphs, just my presets applied (and hair of course^^)

Reactions: FranceToast

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Just send the current version to a friend and thought since I uploaded it anyway, I'll update it here too, so OP updated to Alpha 0.2, changelog included.

PS: still looking for testers and feedback.

Reactions: GhostPhil

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
changelog included
Lie! :D

Made a quick test with 0.2 with an old g8 char. (~3000 itérations)
Used RSM_color3 & RSM_face_Pores

Looks less glossy overall and more natural IMO. Don't remember if the bump maps were here last time, if not it's a nice a addition, maybe a little bit shy on the numbers. RSM_face_Pores doesn't seem to achieve much at this distance (I think you will need at least normal map for this). Hands and forearm bend feel a little bit waxy. My 2 cents.

rec_test.png

Reactions: PJWhoopie

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
In the OP lol xD

Used RSM_color3 & RSM_face_Pores

Looks less glossy overall and more natural IMO.
Errrm... are you sure it was color3? Because it one of the color I didn't change^^

Don't remember if the bump maps were here last time, if not it's a nice a addition, maybe a little bit shy on the numbers. RSM_face_Pores doesn't seem to achieve much at this distance (I think you will need at least normal map for this).
The pores are meant to add more detail in closeups. I have normal maps ready, but not added yet, they will add more detail in general.

Hands and forearm bend feel a little bit waxy.
Yeah I can see that in your render, not so much in my tests, maybe it's the light, or maybe I'll just have to add a bit more detail there. The fingernails aren't done yet as well for all the color presets.

My 2 cents.
Lie! But thanks^^
Did you try any of the other new presets? What do you think about the eyes (aside from the weird glow around the iris)?
Now that I think of it, I totally forgot to mention the lip colors and all the stuff I mentioned in my last post before the update lol...
Nice model btw!

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Errrm... are you sure it was color3? Because it one of the color I didn't change^^
I think it was. I tested the three first ones iirc, possible I messed up somewhere.

not so much in my tests, maybe it's the light
May be my render setting, it's generally the one I use for my own skins, might not be well ajusted for yours.

Did you try any of the other new presets? What do you think about the eyes
I think eyes looks better (exept the weird glow as you say), looked more neutral than the first one. Tried other preset as well. Liked the Freckles1. Blush is a bit too strong for me, even the soft one. Same for lips/eyelines, I generally do them myself as I tend to keep it very subtle to preserve skin details/balance. But I think it's more matter of personal taste that's why I didn't comment :D .

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Blush is a bit too strong for me, even the soft one. Same for lips/eyelines, I generally do them myself as I tend to keep it very subtle to preserve skin details/balance. But I think it's more matter of personal taste that's why I didn't comment :D .
Did you try the blush on the dark skin tones? Now THAT looks crazy xD
The blush really isn't going to look like this in the finished version, the same goes for the eyeliner, especially the eyeliner were my very first try on it and it looks more like smearing (but that's good for punk/goth style, so maybe I keep this preset^^).
I really need to get a good 3D painting program >_<

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Took me lot of coffee and headaches but I do enjoy Substance Painter in addition to PS. Plenty of great things for skin texturing.
Yeah, it's good for such things, but the downside is that you can't paint over multiple surfaces/seams in Substance Painter. I'm having my eyes on 3DCoat and/or Blacksmith3D for this case, but I don't have the money to buy any of them currently.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Yeah, it's good for such things, but the downside is that you can't paint over multiple surfaces/seams in Substance Painter. I'm having my eyes on 3DCoat and/or Blacksmith3D for this case, but I don't have the money to buy any of them currently.
Yeah that's sucks, but as my works is 95% on face it's not that a huge downside for me. That's say the current private beta allows you to paint across UDIMM tiles, not sure when the new version will be out tho. Heard a lot about 3Dcoat, need to take a look in the future I guess :D.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah that's sucks, but as my works is 95% on face it's not that a huge downside for me. That's say the current private beta allows you to paint across UDIMM tiles, not sure when the new version will be out tho. Heard a lot about 3Dcoat, need to take a look in the future I guess :D.
That sounds reaaaaally good! Let's hope the new version arrives soon^^

Ludvinae

Sep 28, 2017
Hey Recreation!
Gave your skin kit a try, I'll give you some feedback:

*Using "RSM clean face" after applying a blush gave me a red face, had to re-apply the base skin texture to make it go away. it works fine with the layered image face details though, so maybe put it in that folder so it's more intuitive.
*The RSM_eyeliner2 are eye shadow instead, and can be applied on top of the RSM_eyeliner1 since the latter is actually an eye liner. A bit confusing at first ^^
*Moles and freckles are great! Pores+ are still very subtle so maybe add another option with the effect cranked up a bit? (though the skin already has a good amount of details out of the box)
*Blush and lipstick are good, enough options to do the job
*As it was mentionned before, eyes are... not so good xD
*No brows options, could be a valuable addition to the kit.

I'm a noobie to Daz, so take it with a grain of salt, but overall I liked the face details a lot. It's indeed easier to use than skin builder, with less customization overall, but it could become a really good alternative once it's more fleshed out!

Keep up the good work! <3

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Hey Recreation!
Gave your skin kit a try, I'll give you some feedback:

*Using "RSM clean face" after applying a blush gave me a red face, had to re-apply the base skin texture to make it go away. it works fine with the layered image face details though, so maybe put it in that folder so it's more intuitive.
*The RSM_eyeliner2 are eye shadow instead, and can be applied on top of the RSM_eyeliner1 since the latter is actually an eye liner. A bit confusing at first ^^
*Moles and freckles are great! Pores+ are still very subtle so maybe add another option with the effect cranked up a bit? (though the skin already has a good amount of details out of the box)
*Blush and lipstick are good, enough options to do the job
*As it was mentionned before, eyes are... not so good xD
*No brows options, could be a valuable addition to the kit.

I'm a noobie to Daz, so take it with a grain of salt, but overall I liked the face details a lot. It's indeed easier to use than skin builder, with less customization overall, but it could become a really good alternative once it's more fleshed out!

Keep up the good work! <3
Thx for your feedback. I have done some changes already, new eyeliner and shadows included. The red face bug is also fixed iirc, but I have yet to make it a working asset again, for which I don't have the time at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludvinae