Rediculous long and stupid japanese game titles

hopeless

Oct 29, 2017
Hello! I just want to discuss this with who ever want to discuss bout that.
I already noticed it a year ago, and it happens like 1 time per month and today i spotted it again:
ridiculous long japenese game title like

https://f95zone.to/threads/ill-get-...money-2019-1-2-6210-alecubicsoft.30454/unread

it really makes me aggressive! it's like the first sentence of a novel but as a title. is this a thing? is this common in japan? wtf is going on?

woltka35

Jul 10, 2017
i think its not a big deal. Anyway I don't like japanese games. So I don't care whats in the title.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
You are talking about a translated sentence, do you know it would be the same length in its original language?

Also, a thing that apparently happens to you 1 time per month, and being so insignificant, making you aggressive. Oh boy.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
I think they're fantastic. The titles, not the games. Why translators don't make up some title I do not know.

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
It's not just the game but light novels and anime (as they often were light novels) can have sentence long titles too...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Apparently it's so the product might have a chance stand out in a extremely over saturated market.

Reactions: hopeless

kaiten

May 4, 2017
I guess it's because a relatively low number of kanji translates into a lot of english words. For example german has a lot of composite words, e.g. add 2 words together and make a whole new word that has no short equivalent in english. Due to that you would need to translate it into a whole sentence for the thing to make any kind of sense.

vir_cotto

Engaged Member
Aug 9, 2017
Yeah, I cringe every time when I must read such titles.

And I noticed one thing: longer the title - worse the game.

Reactions: hopeless

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Hello! I just want to discuss this with who ever want to discuss bout that.
I already noticed it a year ago, and it happens like 1 time per month and today i spotted it again:
ridiculous long japenese game title like

https://f95zone.to/threads/ill-get-...money-2019-1-2-6210-alecubicsoft.30454/unread

it really makes me aggressive! it's like the first sentence of a novel but as a title. is this a thing? is this common in japan? wtf is going on?
The titles may seem long and meaningless to you, but they may be just fine for the Japanese... You have to take into account that not all cultures and systems of communication are the same around the world... The Japanese players/readers are probably fine with them as is... It also might be shorter for them, then it is once the title is translated into other languages, like English... I don't find fault in it, as their target audience was most likely fellow Japanese, and not other cultures... There is this false idea that all media is designed with everyone everywhere, in mind, during production...

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff...

Zip

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020
Old post but I'm adding my two cents. Yeah, those titles are long, but that's not a uniquely Japanese thing. In ages past, Western authors did the same. Robinson Crusoe was written by Daniel Defoe and published in 1719. At least, that's the name we know it by. Here's the title as it appeared on title page of the first edition:

The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates

Holy heck, spoilers! Let's write some new ones.

The Exciting Journey of Luke Skywalker of Tatooine, Moisture Farmer until his Relations were Murderously Dispatched by the Minions of the Villainous Darth Vader, having then Fled with the Wise Obi Wan Kenobi, Who Also Fell Victim to Darth Vader, who in turn Met His Match during the Battle to Destroy the Death Star, which was Accomplished with a Well-Placed Proton Torpedo Aided by the Force (and R2-D2 survived, and Darth Vader is Luke's Father)

• Haha
Reactions: hentaigunman

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
You are talking about a translated sentence, do you know it would be the same length in its original language?

Also, a thing that apparently happens to you 1 time per month, and being so insignificant, making you aggressive. Oh boy.
They're purposely that long. In Japan, it's hard to stand out from the competition, so some game makers/novel makers etc. figure out using a short summary as a game name can attract people. When a guy sees two games "Brave Sister" or "During my college years my brother became my lover, but I accidentally slipped and pounded my father instead. My mother pounded my brother as revenge and the magical girl turned me into a futa so I pounded everyone." in a shop growing for a game, he'll likely to pick the long title if he's into that.
It's true. I read it on the internet.

• Haha
Reactions: hentaigunman
Sep 4, 2020
They're purposely that long. In Japan, it's hard to stand out from the competition, so some game makers/novel makers etc. figure out using a short summary as a game name can attract people. When a guy sees two games "Brave Sister" or "During my college years my brother became my lover, but I accidentally slipped and pounded my father instead. My mother pounded my brother as revenge and the magical girl turned me into a futa so I pounded everyone." in a shop growing for a game, he'll likely to pick the long title if he's into that.
It's true. I read it on the internet.
I invite the Japanese marketing people to consider that innovation called "the blurb". Scott Adams ran a contest, and here's one of the runner ups:

"As a smokin' hot woman, I found this book hilariously funny and I'd seriously consider making out with any guy I saw reading it."

Swap "visual novel" for "book" and "playing" for "reading", and I guarantee amazing sales without the need for insane titles.